It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Multi-Universe theory

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 01:02 AM
link   
This is a good artical to read. It gives you an in-depth look of the possibilities of more than 1 universe. There is arguments for it and arguments against it. It certainly has opened up my eye to what the universe it. even the title of the artical is "My So-called universe". It 's a page long but it's worth reading.

If you wish to read the artical, visit slate.msn.com...

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Historically the big errors in human perspective has always been that we are the central, the only, the special, the chosen.
The Earth is NOT the center of the Solar system.
We are not separate from all other species, we are just one more.
Other heavenly bodies are not like our own. Our Earth is special in that is supports life as know and need it to be, but essentially there are other planets in many ways like our Earth.

The Idea that this is the only Universe seems to me to be short-sighted.
Other Universes may have different physics and parameters.
I don't know if you have lots of parallel Universes that are very similar to one another or not, but find it hard to believe there aren't some other Universes out there somewhere.

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 09:28 AM
link   
i watched a programme on bbc`s horizon about something called "string theory"..this seemed to try to explain something about the multi-verse
but i didn`t really understand

to much for me to comprehend

here is a link
superstringtheory.com...

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 10:26 AM
link   
I agree with you slank. I think that there must be someone out there. Multiple universes can get confusing but if you really look at the big picture, everything is confusing.

Why are we here on earth?

Why is their other animals? Why are their chemicals?

Why do we live in the universe.? I could go on and on but I think you get the point. The universe is too strange to say there is only one universe. I agree that there has to be multiple universes. I think that might make even more sense in some sort of way.

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 01:58 PM
link   
I forgot what month/edition/year I read this, but there was an article in Scientific American trying to explain the multi-verse theory. It said that there would be bunches of 3 universes, each completely different, but the next three were all parallel universes but with a different fate for each universe. It said there were infinite universes, which would be logical. It all got complicated from there.

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Complicated is anything but complicated, if you think outside the box. I'm leading up to something here, but I want to start with the human body.

Here on Earth, complicated could mean learning anatomy of Human Beings. Try learning what each and every nerve ending does, where it goes, and why and how it processes information. That takes alot of time, to learn it all, hence the term "neurologists" who have studied the nervous system for decades and still dont know everything about something so prominently available as the human brain. Less complicated, but still complicated- Try learning all the bones and bony landmarks, how they create blood cells, how the bones work, etc etc...It will still amaze the bejeezes out of you, but you could do it in much less than a year!

Thats complicated- right there.

Forget everything youve actually learned from scientific experiments, trial and error, and all that, and think about how complicated the Human body in itself is. Its so amazing, with its own built in protective systems, self cleansing mechanisms, cooling power, built in mental defense mechanisms, the ability to heal itself, and everything! If you were an atom, you would think that the human body you live in was the whole universe. Its so hard to figure out HOW it was all made!!!

Time to think outside of the box.

There are more atoms in a grain of sand than there are grains of sand in the entire world. I'm posotive that there are atoms in other parts of our solar system, milky way galaxy, and what lies further, which is the rest of the universe.

So- if you want to think parallel universes, multiverses and the lot, you think about small things like atoms, and basic math. Ever since, when? Middle school? We have been taught that 2 minus 4 equals negative 2. That would not REALLY be possible- ever. Its a thought process, and humans have yet to realise it. We are and have been being seasoned to adjust to greater realities than ever. Negatives? If I gave you two apples and take four away? I wont have negative 2! Only in a parallel universe. Think backwards! Anything is possible, even the stuff thats incomprehensible. I believe that anything that can be imagined can be possible. Even the craziest of the crazy people couldnt think of such things as God, and multiple or parallel universes, if they didnt exist, see? If one has a dream that is incomprehensible, it still exists, its just our psychological defenses kick in and tell us it isnt real, it couldnt possibly exist.

Trust your gut!

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Little red feather

Complicated is anything but complicated, if you think outside the box. I'm leading up to something here, but I want to start with the human body.

Here on Earth, complicated could mean learning anatomy of Human Beings. Try learning what each and every nerve ending does, where it goes, and why and how it processes information. That takes alot of time, to learn it all, hence the term "neurologists" who have studied the nervous system for decades and still dont know everything about something so prominently available as the human brain. Less complicated, but still complicated- Try learning all the bones and bony landmarks, how they create blood cells, how the bones work, etc etc...It will still amaze the bejeezes out of you, but you could do it in much less than a year!

Thats complicated- right there.

Forget everything youve actually learned from scientific experiments, trial and error, and all that, and think about how complicated the Human body in itself is. Its so amazing, with its own built in protective systems, self cleansing mechanisms, cooling power, built in mental defense mechanisms, the ability to heal itself, and everything! If you were an atom, you would think that the human body you live in was the whole universe. Its so hard to figure out HOW it was all made!!!

Time to think outside of the box.

There are more atoms in a grain of sand than there are grains of sand in the entire world. I'm posotive that there are atoms in other parts of our solar system, milky way galaxy, and what lies further, which is the rest of the universe.

So- if you want to think parallel universes, multiverses and the lot, you think about small things like atoms, and basic math. Ever since, when? Middle school? We have been taught that 2 minus 4 equals negative 2. That would not REALLY be possible- ever. Its a thought process, and humans have yet to realise it. We are and have been being seasoned to adjust to greater realities than ever. Negatives? If I gave you two apples and take four away? I wont have negative 2! Only in a parallel universe. Think backwards! Anything is possible, even the stuff thats incomprehensible. I believe that anything that can be imagined can be possible. Even the craziest of the crazy people couldnt think of such things as God, and multiple or parallel universes, if they didnt exist, see? If one has a dream that is incomprehensible, it still exists, its just our psychological defenses kick in and tell us it isnt real, it couldnt possibly exist.

Trust your gut!

Yeah 2-4 does =-2 who's to say that's not possible. Universly speaking it's very possible. Mass can be destroyed so it is technically possible. Anti-matter destroys matter. When an Anti-matter particle collides with a matter particle they destroy each other. So the equation you showed me is true in real life.

And yes complicated is complicated. How is our universe infinite? How can that be? That, my friend is wrong. The study of Universal theory, and anti-matter is VERY complicated. Human anatomy is still not as complicated as the Universe.

But you do agree that there is more than 1 universe right?

I just have a problem of the context of your post. Complicated IS the universe.

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 04:39 PM
link   
I actually tend to think that we are the parallel universe, or in Gods eyes, Group B for Humans.

Theres one race of humans in another solar system, all built the same, but we are programmed to be parallel, or opposite to the perfect group.

We are programmed differently- to kill each other, to lie, to cheat , steal, and hurt.
We are killing off out natural rescources, we are selfish, and most of us eat more food than we deserve. We have starving people all over the world but we still spend billions of dollars on killing and war purposes, before we spend the money on humankind's well being.
(not that I am against the war, but its ironic that we dont divvy our fundage out a little more equally)

Equality is non existant, no matter who says it is. White people kept black slaves till only about 60 years ago, and now that we are in a day of Equal opportunity, hispanic women make, on average, 1.60 less hourly than a white man.
Then theres this whole Middle East fiasco thats still going on. How many white people would really make friends with an Arab or Muslim? Few.

We hate more than we love, and when we love its short lived, and turns into hate. We fight with our siblings and our parents, even our kids and grandparents. We beat up our wives and husbands, and pick fights in bars.

And dont get me started on how hypocritical everyone is! Like, ok. So Gay marriage is this big issue right now, for " moral reasons " but we still go to the courthouse daily and file for divorce, or go out and cheat on our spouses.

Some think that abortion should be illegal, but are pro capital punishment, or assisted suicide.

Seriously! Its like, just look at some of the BS that is going on! Like pro rape shield laws for the "victim" but not taking the accused's reputation into consideration.

Like, "I dont have money to feed the kids/pay rent, but yes we are watching cable TV right now, with every light in the house on, and I am holding on to my Gucci bag, and keeping the kids in soccer/gymnastics, etc"
Whats that all about? Not that all broke parents are like that, but I know a couple who has a cable modem AND a DSL modem, are buying a new computer really soon, but are still using food stamps to eat, and she gets free clothes and some financial help from a local organization. Its like, WHAT???? Also she cheated on him, but lies about it now, and finds it completely "unfair" that he turned around and cheated on her... I mean its totally messed up! But theyre only human, I guess!

I could go on and on with this, but I think I've just about made my case.
Think about it, and respond, please! =)

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Here is an interesting site if you don't mind reading some equations and interesting theories. Many of the ideas presented on this site have been minutely written about by the likes of Michio Kaku, Kip Thorne, and others. Very interesting indeed:

www.mu6.com...

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Ok first of all by Multi-Universe I am talking about more than 2. I am talking above an infinite amount of universes. Secondly, if someone from a distant galaxy read this and didn't know who we were they would think our world is going to hell. Yes there is murders and hate, but that's what makes us special. We ain't perfect but hey so what. It's hard for even the greatest football teams to have a perfect record. It's practically impossible for a baseball team to be perfect. In fact it's never happened! So how could 6 billion people be perfect??

Our race is still good, we donate millions for research on diseases, most of us don't kill each other, and most of us want to help out. Not everyone wants nuclear war.

There is infinite amount of copies of us. There is a new universe created every time we choose or choose not to make a certain action.

Basically their is no group B and group A there is groups to the infinity!

Do you think there is more than 2 universes?

There has to be! Why not?

I think you think we are a bunch of barbarians. Is that really true?

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I wasnt saying its not complicated. Its just that its so complicated, that whatever ideas are brought up have to be believed, as they wouldnt have been thought of if they were non existent.

Thats where the simplicity comes in, and thats why I mentioned the 2-4=negative2. I was saying that it is possible, at least I was trying to say that in a parallel universe it is.

But back to the simplicity part- I cannot comprehend having only tow apples and giving you four. Thats the part thats so difficult to understand. Now I could SAY I'll give you four apples, and OWE you 2. That makes sense.

And as for the human body being more complicated than our current human capabilities allow us to understand, I think its a great metaphor to use in this context. We know very little about the human brain, and its almost as if learning about anything outside of the brain is childs play. Thats what I am trying to get across here. We dont focus on our planet anymore, perhaps because we wish to live in a more perfect environment. The problem is, we dont know nearly enough about our own imperfect human race to even start to interact with other "alien" life forms...

Its far too complicated to actually deal with. The focus of this board is an idea, and ideas are simple enough to have, but very complicated to communicate sometimes. 2-4=-2? Its scary, but its true.

Can you make 2 identical things out of just one? YES! AMAZINGLY! Cells divide in half! Boom, you had one, now theres two. Its truly amazing.

And somehow, very simple.

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Yes, so what you are really saying is you made no sense before with your 2-4 example. Believe me you don't need another universe to make the equation true. I agree that there is multiple-universes but I do not agree on your blabble. Yes I do believe it's possible we are not the original universe but I am not happy with your views of the inperfectry of humans. Complicated is a word to descrbe something very very hard to understand. So one could say the universe is complicated.

But for example changing a flat tire on a highway- people say that's complicated. So basically one would be comparing changing tires and understanding the universe of equal complicity.

That can't be true can it.

Truth be told comparing flat tires and the universe is a huge difference in comparison.

Who's wrong?

Society. Society could use their language differently and say

This Flat Tire is quite difficult to change! However people in society do not discuss the universe so they decide that the english word of "complicated" can be applied to the the flat tire situation. Obviously it's not on the same playing field and obviously understanding life and the universe is more complicated than the changing the tire.

So basically there has to be more than 2 universes, and I don't like the idea of people thinking the human race is barbaric-like.

That's what I have a problem with.

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Barbaric!!! Thats funny!!! Its all so, so funny!!!

I suppose that maybe, just maybe, I pushed a hypocrite button there?

I was comparing the human body- something we have ample rescources (6 billion people) to learn about, and yet we dont know nearly as much about as we could, to the universe, which we have ample rescources, and know probably alot more about that any modern human is ready for, even though we have much left to learn.

Where did flat tires come into this? Changing a tire is a step by step action that you can download instructions for off of the internet, or have a mechanic write out directions for on paper, and its usually fool proof. Changing a tire and understanding why the tire went flat is much different than understanding why or how people get such diseases as Cancer, MS, Alizheimers, etc, and diagnosing them, much less curing those diseases.

Complicated issues like this one, are they all one sided? Or am I changing a tire? Obviously I am too simple minded for the likes of you! Or maybe the opposite is true.... Whats 2-4, again? Parallel universe...ROFL! Maybe in this parallel universe if I have negative two, I really have 2? Darn! I cant figure this one out...I wish I was as smart as you!!!

Maybe you could try doing exactly what you said, and change your metaphor about society... oh wait! You dont belong to the peasants of normal society because you are a prodigy on all subjects.. I forget things...

DOH!

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 01:35 AM
link   
I'm not really comfortable with multiverse theories. Most are not really testable or falsifiable. Maybe they should be called metaphysics theories instead of physics theories.

Anyway, Arxiv physics/0408111: "Time before time" has a taxonomy of different multiverse theories. I think you might find it of interest.

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Its an interesting discussion, though! I am just trying to get across to this Unicorn person that I am not saying that there are "only" 2 universes, How the heck would I know!! But I personally dont really believe in multi universes. I do believe in parallel ones though, and entering your same world in a different type of dimension... Like 6D or something wild like that...I also believe that the universe is infinite.

The crazy stuff comes with math, the universal language. You dont just communicate with it. You travel, too. You build spaceships, design space fueling stations, and someday will be able to utilize warp technology, which is simply folding space in half, thus getting you somewhere far away in a snap.

Math can seem complicated to alot of people, especially me, but the fact is, it is just math. It all boils down to addition subtraction, multiplication and division... once you figure out what all the theorems and equations want, LOL! I guess that takes alot of studying, anyways...

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by amantine
I'm not really comfortable with multiverse theories. Most are not really testable or falsifiable. Maybe they should be called metaphysics theories instead of physics theories.

so what are you comfortable with amentine..is it religion/physics/theories?

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Forgive me if I am wrong little red feather but isn't the MULTI universe theory all about multiple universes? Parallel universes REVOLVE around the MULTI theory. It isn't that complicated when it comes to defining what multiple is.

Parallel universes are in fact part of the Multi Universe theory.

Let me get this, you don't believe in Multi-Universes but you do believe in parallel universes. It's the same thing! Multi=Parallel!

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 03:46 PM
link   
i saw that thing about the string theory too or the M-Theory

it intrigues me that strings are what creates this universe and gravitons are the only thing that can travel between the universe....they say there are 11 parallel universes....like cutting up slices of bread and each universe is a giant membrane...a string that kept on expanding....and the big bang is 2 membranes colliding with each other creating such a powerful force that it creates...well...a BANG! and thats what it really was about

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Parallel Universe Theory = Multi-Universe Theory, but Multi Universe Theory IS NOT equal to Parallel Universe Theory. Think about it. Also, I called the universe complicated because the Universe is EVERYTHING if you haven't noticed by now, including everything complicated. So it is only logical that the Universe include everything, simple and complicated, making it complicated by definition.

[edit on 9-7-2004 by WaStEdDeAtH777]

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 10:52 PM
link   
The developing theories of chotic inflation and the string theory are just very interesting.

Specially, the chaotic inflation theory. According to this theory, there are infinite number of universes and each one of them has budded off from another universe and the most interesting part is that the universe that buds off expands in itself (creating a new space-time in an existing region of a space-time) and thus not affecting its mother universe!

Scientists that came up with this theory say that if a new universe is created/born in our universe, it would appear to us as an elementary particle. So, i think that for that universe, it could be billions of years of expanding, but for us it would be a very tiny fraction of time passed as the particle appears and decays!

Here are some links on the above subjects
String Theory : www.superstringtheory.com...
Chaotic Inflation Theory :
www.biols.susx.ac.uk...
slate.msn.com...
Google search

A few other threads that discussed similar topics that you might find intersting:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join