It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yemen's president agrees to step down

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

RIYADH, Saudi Arabia (AP) — Yemeni President Ali Abdullah Saleh agreed Wednesday to step down after a long-running uprising to oust him from 33 years in power.

Saleh, seated beside Saudi King Abdullah in the Saudi capital Riyadh, signed a U.S.-backed deal hammered out by his country's powerful Gulf Arab neighbors to transfer his power within 30 days to his vice president, Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi. That will be followed by early presidential elections within 90 days.

Saleh is the fourth Arab leader toppled since the start of this year by the wave of Arab Spring uprisings, after longtime authoritarian leaders fell in Tunisia, Egypt and Libya.

Looks like Saleh has finally did it...hopefully. He's done this a few times before and has backed away. Im not really sure how all this will turn out, since Yemen is in a pretty tough place at the moment, but I have a feeling the tribes will struggle to get as much power as possible after he is officially gone.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Interesting times.. How is it that all of this is happening at the same time? Coincidence..?

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Mizzijr

On the arab spring - I believe the people are fed up with the same people being in power for decades, while nothing changes. In addition, these same rulers use deadly force to put down their opposing voices, which in turn, leads more people to come out against the current people in power.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mizzijr
Interesting times.. How is it that all of this is happening at the same time? Coincidence..?

Sorry but the C.I.A. does not believe in coincidences.............

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
what do u know America actually helped get rid of a jackass(donkey) we probably put there to do our bidding and then got rid of him with no air strikes or no fly zones....there is hope for us yet have the distinct feeling thought hes only doing it because he dosent wanan get stomped by nato or saudis for not following orders.either way good news i hope the elections go off well with out any corruption but we shal see

top topics

join