It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas Supreme Court Suspends Judge Adams for Beating His Daughter

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   

(CNN) -- Judge William Adams, who made national headlines after the release of a 2004 video of him beating his then-teenage daughter, has been suspended by the Texas Supreme Court.
CNN

I think this is the first step. The next step should be that he is brought up on charges, face a jury, and ultimately serve some time (barring no statute of limitations). At minimum, he should be disbarred and never serve on the bench again, especially anything that has to do with children.

It is reassuring to know that the investigation is on-going and that something is being done about this horrible treatment of a human, let alone a teenager, by this person who was once elected as a Judge.

edit on 23-11-2011 by _BoneZ_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by _BoneZ_

I was under the impression that he will not be charged due to statute of limitations. At least that is what the news said here locally, in Dallas.

And he is still a Judge. Just suspended.
edit on 23-11-2011 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by _BoneZ_

Our supreme court has stated that "justice, must have the appearance of justice." To allow a judge to sit as a family court judge, in light of the information against him, demands he step aside from his duties in that court. I do not agree that he should be suspended from the legal profession. If the suspension was applicable to his judge status then I agree. But to remove his license to practice law seems a bit too far fetched. I believe we still are a nation where people should get due process of the law. If he has done something wrong appropriate charges should be brought against him. However, to protect the institution of the Court, to give at least the illusion of fairness in proceedings, he should not remain a judge.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth
I was under the impression that he will not be charged due to statute of limitations. At least that is what the news said here locally, in Dallas.

And he is still a Judge. Just suspended.
edit on 23-11-2011 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

You are correct, it appears he won't be charged due to the statute of limitations, but a recent news story I just read said that he could still lose his job. The investigation is on-going.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by ExPostFacto

I respect your point of view, but he should never again be allowed to hold a position of elected office, or serve the public in any capacity for his actions.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Daily-double post.....

edit on 23-11-2011 by _BoneZ_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by _BoneZ_

Guy is a scum bag, i hope his daughter never forgives him. If one of us did this and it was recorded, then we would go down, no questions asked, and no doubt we would be made an example of, i truly hope the same happens to him, somehow though i know that it wont.

sick is all i can add

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
This an odd hmmmm...

Usually big-shots and wealthy prominent folks in the Lone Star get away with murder down there, while the normal folks are one slight infracture away from getting thrown in jail for even the most minor offenses. Death row for anything above a minor infraction in the good 'ol state of Texas.

Texas usually only slaps its prominent folks on the wrist no matter what they do, while making up for the imbalance by throwing an innocent man on death-row.

So this one is a shock to hear. Didnt expect any punishment here. Maybe Texas is actually evolving somewhat. Hooray.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure that this 2004 video has recently surfaced because the judge was harrassing his exwife and oldest daughter.

It seems that there is custody battle between Judge Adams and his exwife for their youngest daughter, and a restraining order is in effect. If he is found to be using his status to harass is exwife and daughters, he should lose his position.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by brommas

While I respect your anger and thoughts I cannot fully agree with you.

Sure the guy is a jerk and he went too far, I do not know the guy personally so I cannot say how his mind works or what was going on with him at the time. I can though say I have been through this type of treatment so I can say without a doubt I know from experience what it is like. I know the anger one gets and hatred and despise one gets from living such a life. I know the dark thoughts that sit in the mind of one in the daughter's position.

I also know that holding such thoughts and negativity will do nothing to better you life. I know what it is like to see your abuser in a weak and frail position. If you have a heart you can look at them and forgive, because you see that they are left powerless, afraid and lonely. They are reaching out for love and to have someone near them. When you look at them you cannot help but forgive, sure I remember, but I forgive. They can harm no one not even themselves any longer. They are left without power. Everyone screws up something in life, some more than others, some continue on the life they were taught and given as a child.

The only way to break the cycle is to break it completely. Letting go of that sort of life is a start, letting go of the negative anger that darkens a heart is the next.

You might not agree and that is fine, but as one who has been in that life I can say nothing more than forgive and let go.

Raist

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by _BoneZ_

Here's what I see coming: he loses his job, and sues for wrongful dismissal or discrimination or some such thing, and wins a massive settlement.

top topics

join