It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My family was the 1%

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
LOL, I’m shooting myself in the foot tell ATS’ers that my family was a 1%er in the recent past. Knowing I’m going to get blasted with hate and flames, I’m still going to write this.

Little back ground. I am 25 and the son of a millionaire, note how I said my “family” is the 1%. My father’s family was poor growing and he has worked nearly every day since he was 12, he’s now 49. He took out a bank loan of 25K back in 1986 and started his own company. In the first few months he was losing big. He had cash flow problems and had to take a 2nd on the house. So if the company went under, we hit the streets. Long story short his dream, just like the average American dream, was to be his own boss, have 25 employees and 5 company cars. He started to exceed his dreams very fast.

In the height of 2008 my father had 15 branches, employed 1,200 people and owned 500 company cars. He provided a 50% match to your 401K, paid 90% of all employees’ medical insurance and paid for your gas to get to work. Our revenue for that year was over 250 million dollars. My father, the “greedy” CEO, only drew 250K a year and 1 % bonus of sales for himself. All profits where recycled back into the company to grow it and protect its employees. Sounds like one of those EVIL corporations huh.

Being in construction, the crash hit us hard. Our cash flow froze up and we had to start liquidating to keep wages going. We are currently owed 40 million dollars and can no longer pay our venders in a timely manner. We are down to 5 branch, 400 employees and maybe 60 trucks, and barely holding it together. Everyone is stretched to the max. The sad part is my father feel completely responsible for all those we had to let go.

I have a meeting with him a few times a month and every time he says to me how bad he feels for those he had to let go. But you have to do it to try and save what we could. Without the cuts all 1,200 of us would be on the streets.

It’s not just us hurting. We have a lot of friends who own their own companies and are at the breaking point. The owners or CEO, whatever you want to call them, the ones I know, provided for their employee. Gave them the best benefits a company could give to someone. Only to be thrown into the 1% group to be called greedy. It’s far from. My father is so over owns a company and personally just wants to toss it to the bankers and declare bankruptcy so he can walk away and start ranching. But because of his morals he won’t do it. He knows if he quits, the last of the 400 employees under him will hit the streets with no jobs. Sounds like a Greedy CEO huh?

The point of the story is the top “1%”, even if you really can consider our family that, are not all bad. They work just as hard to provide for their employees and this is how all companies should be really.

Anyways, that’s my two cents. I’m ready to be ripped to shreds by the 99%.

+2 more 
posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by camaro68ss

i think you´re mistaken.

did your father use his funds to to influence politicians and therefor elections and policy-making?

did your father use his funds in any other nefarious way?

guess not.

so he's NOT the 1%.

owning millions doesn't make you part of the 1%, 4 members of my family would be as well then.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
From reading through your post camaro...

Your family may have been well off, but not even close to "the 1%", OWS are talking about the top 400 families...

I remember your post a few months back about your dads business having to lay off people and how hard you guys were taking it... You are definitely not part of "the 1%" by definition, or by actions...

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I don't think you'll get "ripped to shreds" since one anecdote doesn't make or break a movement, but cool story anyway.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by kn0wh0w

i think you´re mistaken.

did your father use his funds to to influence politicians and therefor elections and policy-making?

did your father use his funds in any other nefarious way?

guess not.

so he's NOT the 1%.

owning millions doesn't make you part of the 1%, 4 members of my family would be as well then.

No, well yes, he did donate $500 to bush in 2004. lol, so yes, he did influence the campain. lol

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
The problem isn't the 1% by and large. It's the

.01%

Families like yours add the general prosperity of the community. Unless your family bought off politicians to pass legislation that undermined the Constitution and personal liberty or in some other way perpetrated frauds that victimized others then - no problem.

Class warfare is for jealous people and for people who haven't yet learned that money doesn't buy happiness.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   

construction right? Russia expects infrastructure projects in the eastern zone.Also ,underground bunkers are a hot selling item among the russian elite and russian govt for civil defence.Bunker market is booming in Europe and USA too.

I suggest you study the Russian and the Brazilian markets. If you have experience in underground bunker designs ,possibility is you could win contracts from EMERCOM.

If you are in speciality housing,then I suggest you study the European russian metropolitan markets especially Skolovo.

Consult VTB or sberbank.

edit on 23-11-2011 by USAisdevil because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Nah...you ain't a 1 percenter, no worries.

Your dad did it the old fashioned way, and, it sounds like he has a heart and a soul.

I'm part of the 99% of course, but I don't feel I'm "entitled" to anything other than a fair shake. I'm fortunate, as I am employed, but, out of the last 6 years, I've been out for 2, and that wasn't too easy.

I recently heard a well to do person (active in politics) say that these people that think they're entitled to "our" money, they should just go out and get a job, eydeeyada. Well, DUH, I know people, my wife included that have been activly looking for quite a while and are not getting hired. Companies have learned to do more with less and see no reason to re-hire.

The 1 percenters are people like the energy guys from a few years back in Calif., qloating that granny's really gonna be crying now, when they were manipulating energy prices and got caught. Only the outer skin of a much larger onion if you ask me!

I'd be happy to stand next to you and your dad, any day...

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Again millionaires are not "The 1%" by any means.

Everyone keeps using millionaire CEOs of smaller businesses as examples but they are NOT the richest 1% in our society. While I'm sure your father employed quite a few people, people like him will never be considered "Too big to fail"...obviously

That Goldman Sachs/Government Venn Diagram was the clearest image of the one percent I've ever seen

ETA - Here it is www.abovetopsecret.com...

THERE's part of the one percent, not owners of smaller construction companies...
edit on 23-11-2011 by Hawking because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   

I could be mistaken but the 1% are billionaires like Buffet, Gates, and Soros to name a few. These folks influence the direction of western society with their mooney, so I wouldn't call your family the 1%.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Simply put, NO, you are not, nor were, part of the 1%.
How does it feel to try and look "important" when you are really not?

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Saltarello

Really bad i guess????......

Wow there are some mean people on ATS these days

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Your family is CERTAINLY not even CLOSE to being part of the 1%.

Your family is what the average America would give up an arm to be. According to your description here, your father actually HAS a HEART, COMPASSION, and was an ETHICAL business man. One who actually CARED for others, not one who would kill his own mother or a school-bus load of kids for a fraction of a percent more profit.

I could go on and on, but the truth is, your family is not even in the same GALAXY of being one of the 1% SNAKES.

Your family actually CONTRIBUTED to the economy and people of your area. Not STOLEN and RAPED our economy and our all of us and our children's futures like the DEVILS who are the 1%.

[color=cyan]Decent wealthy folks are NOT the 1% who people are PISSED with. Its the SNAKES who are DESTROYING our country and the future for our children and grand-children.

Nobody is angry towards decent successful wealthy business folks like your family. They are NOT the ones RUINING this country.
edit on 23-11-2011 by HangTheTraitors because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by camaro68ss

Says the guy who paints himself as one of the top 400 families...when hes not...

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   

essentially your prior posting history seems to have suggest pride and arrogance on your part too.Anyways consider my suggestions and try for govt construction projects, as cash flows are guaranteed in them.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by camaro68ss

Says the guy who paints himself as one of the top 400 families...when hes not...

well im sorry i did not understand your definition of top 1% being the top 400 familys. According to my calculations. There are 311 million Americans. Average family of 4. The top 1% of families would come out to 82,500 familys.

Looks like you dont even know what the hell your talking about.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by USAisdevil

essentially your prior posting history seems to have suggest pride and arrogance on your part too.Anyways consider my suggestions and try for govt construction projects, as cash flows are guaranteed in them.

Yes i have pride of what my father has done. Is that a crime? arrogance, Im the least from that. I dont hold myself as better then anyone.

Are there any other low ball comments anyone else has to say?

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   

You are essentially wallowing in self-pity.Stop it.Won't help.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Your father sounds like a self made man to me and certainly caring of his laid off workers.I consider ceos with multi-million dollar golden parachutes the 1%,imho.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by USAisdevil

You are essentially wallowing in self-pity.Stop it.Won't help.

You make me lol. Hahaha where am I for one wallowing in self pity an two asking for your help. Im only pointing out the fact that not all CEO are the devil. Hell the story's not even about me. Haha

Stop trolling dude.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join