It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Getting pepper sprayed isn't THAT bad is it?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Wow i got sprayed once right in the eyes, i thought someone had ashed their cigarette in my eyes! It literally felt like my face was on fire! I'm from Laredo, TX so spicyness is nothing alien to us but even still it burned for like 5 minutes.(as i was nowhere close to an eye wash haha)

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

You should get your hands on some ghost peppers if you haven't tried them already.
WOW!!
Anyone know where ghost peppers rank on that OP pic?

When i got hit...it was funny.
I was trying to get someone else from a foot away with bear spray and we both got it.
Good times.

edit on 23-11-2011 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-11-2011 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by argentus

Sort of like getting your nose broken or getting kicked in the stones....... the second time a person can push through it knowing that it isn't life-threatening, even though it hurts like hell.

I'm Mr Toughguy when it comes to the pepper spray, and even the baton to the gut or the broken nose, but just reading the "kicked in the stones" part of your post gave me a lump in my throat and made my feet hurt!

There is no amount of tolerance that can be built up for that. Sure, you can muscle through it and continue your fight, but it will hurt then, it will hurt tomorrow, it will hurt next week, and it will hurt every time you think about it for the rest of your life! I got a lump in my throat and a cramp in my lower stomach just typing about this.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   

I've bitten my tongue before too, but if someone else bit my tongue, there would be hell to pay.

To those of you who are saying, "It's not so bad"... I wonder, do you think the police were justified? Did they do anything wrong?

Now that would be an interesting fight! If I'm ever in a fight, and someone attempts to bite my tongue for me, I will vacate the fight and run home wondering what just happened, LOL!

As far as police using pepper spray. I'm sad to say, I have never seen it used appropriately. Everytime I have ever seen it used, it was just to shut somebody up. They were already contained and controlled, they just wouldn't shut up. I've seen it used to disperse crowds, I've seen it used on a kid high on drugs, handcuffed, and kicking the inside of a cop car, I've seen it used on an inmate in a cell, but I've never once seen it used in an appropriate manner.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
3rd one from the Top is used as common food ingredients in many South Asian foods lol.

Anti Pepper? Jug of milk.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

Yes, any dairy will help. Milk, sour cream, yogurt. I'm hungry...

grar, LOL My point was that even though something 'isn't that bad" that doesn't mean it's OK for someone else to do it to me. I hope that makes sense.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Getting sprayed is certainly not something I would stand up and say spray me for the heck of it. But, having been through it a few times it is not that bad if you can remain calm and maintain composure. It does suck, no doubt about it. In my opinion pepper spray or tear gas would not stop me, it may slow me down but that would be about the extent of it because it would probably end up just pissing me off more than anything.
edit on 23-11-2011 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   

grar, LOL My point was that even though something 'isn't that bad" that doesn't mean it's OK for someone else to do it to me. I hope that makes sense.

Well sure, but your example was even scarier than the mace!

I get it though. We do many things to our selves that are uncomfortable, painful, irritating, but we tolerate it, but if someone else did it, it would be an assault and come with severe penalties.

Although, I remember seeing a Hollywood Starlet talking about how sexy it was when her co-star bit her bottom lip during a scene, and she wasn't expecting it, and it really got her "warmed up" for the rest of the on-screen chemistry in the scene! Maybe biting someone else's lip isn't so bad?

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
I hope you'll never get in the middle of a riot that is being dispersed with the kind of tear gas the cops use here.
You can smell that s*** from several streets away, it impregnates your clothes, hair, everything. They also mix that thing on the water that's sprayed from the water cannon tanks, so the stink will be still there till the water evaporates. It burns your eyes, throat and nose, and (obviously) makes you cry. The only way to get ride of the pain is to eat lemons (there's always someone selling lemons on the street when there's a protest, because here protests turn ALWAYS into riots)

Last friday there was a riot some blocks away from my house, i needed to walk home because all the traffic was stopped and I needed to pass through the riot itself to reach my house... A lot of the rioters were using gas masks, but since i'm a normal and peaceful person (and I didn't expect to get involved in the riot anyway) I just had my hoodie's sleeves to cover my nose and mouth... That and pretend to look normal, because the cops take on their buses everyone that looks like a rioter, even if you're coming back from work and you don't have anything to do with the protestors...

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
To all you machos out there.............BS

I love Mexican Food!!! The hotter the better (in my mouth and 24 hours later I have pain and pay for my hot & spicy folly - if you know what I mean) and I make my own Mexican food from scratch.

Now, I have various peppers I have used and a few times after I have washed and washed and washed my hands, then rubbed my eyes or near my eyes.............it burned like hell. My hands, if I don't wear gloves hurt as well - it stings like hell.

I can't imagine if any were to get on more sensitive areas..................could kill you!!!!!

That being said.

Who you gonna trust, the police, the government - just because the label says "Pepper Spray" it could be Pepper Spray as the main ingredient with ???? who knows what.

I have talked to people pepper sprayed and depending on the brand, some kinds are down right painful even touching the skin.

Come on.................you folks saying, "it's not that bad" are playing manipulative games, making light out of something serious.

Pepper spray is a chemical.

Underplaying a wrong that is what many posts here are doing, a simple head game.

One last thing to consider, you open the door for pepper spray to be used on peaceful demonstrators, what is next?

1) The video below shows three young, healthy, strong man told they would be looked afterwards and cared for.
2) They got a few short squirts - that cop blasted 20X's the amount and it was bright orange...........(you trust it really was ONLY PEPPER SPRAY)????
3) Freedom of speech should not be squashed

For God sake will you people wake up..................inch by inch, slowly The American People's freedoms and liberties are being taken away, people are being intimidated on a psychological level.

I'm not even revisiting this post I am so angry

edit on 23-11-2011 by ofhumandescent because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
pepper spray is non lethal for a reason

edit on 23-11-2011 by DrNotforhire because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by ofhumandescent

I disagree.

Someone that is already a little amped up as it is getting sprayed is not going to have the same affect as putting pepper in your eyes in the kitchen. Add a shot of adrenaline into the scenario and it is not as bad as one would think.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by ofhumandescent

I don't read that anyone was attempting to minimalize the injury of being pepper sprayed, nor ascribe a moral boundary to the Occupy-ers that were knelt down and sprayed. Myself, I was recounting my own experiences, and while all that I talked about HURT and had a lasting impact well beyond the intial moments, none of it was something that had a permanent effect, as far as I've been able to tell.

Still, I can see how you might have read this all and viewed it as a testosterone-fest (BH and others notwithstanding). I can only say that most people I've talked with have been similar to my own experience, and in connection with the OP, I personally don't think being sprayed is THAT bad. Certainly an immunity-compromised person or one with respiratory conditions would suffer worse and could possibly be life-threatening.

Do I approve of the view of kneeling people being pepper-sprayed? Nope. They were contained and controlled. I understand that they were on private property, and the property administrator ordered them off. How would we have reacted to a video of people being forcibly dragged from the scene? What if they were also kicking and screaming, would that change the complexion of the scene? The police were in a rock-and-hard-place situation. They made a choice. I don't agree with the choice, but I understand it.

I don't consider myself a macho-man. I've been injured a lot. Certain injuries are worst the first time. I firmly believe that the injured person's mindset is every bit as important as their physiological response insofar as recovery from the injury (in general).

c'mon back. I understand getting frustrated and such with a thread. You probably did the right thing stepping away. I do it all the time.

cheers

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Sure it sucks but its really not that bad. We used to do it for fun when we got bored in the Marines. I would rather not have used in anger on me but if i had a choice between that and being shot for resisting a cop or getting curb stomped or something I'm pretty sure I'd take the oc every time.

If you are doing something where getting sprayed is a possibility you more then likely deserve it so man up and take or don't go out.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem
Makes you wonder how this can't be a violation of the Chemical Weapons Convention?

Because pepper spray is not a chemical weapon as defined by the Chemical Weapons Convention. It is a riot control agent; a sensory irritant, not a toxic chemical that acts on life processes.

1. "Chemical Weapons" means the following, together or separately:

(a) Toxic chemicals and their precursors, except where intended for purposes not prohibited under this Convention, as long as the types and quantities are consistent with such purposes;

(b) Munitions and devices, specifically designed to cause death or other harm through the toxic properties of those toxic chemicals specified in subparagraph (a), which would be released as a result of the employment of such munitions and devices;

(c) Any equipment specifically designed for use directly in connection with the employment of munitions and devices specified in subparagraph (b).

2. "Toxic Chemical" means:

Any chemical which through its chemical action on life processes can cause death, temporary incapacitation or permanent harm to humans or animals. This includes all such chemicals, regardless of their origin or of their method of production, and regardless of whether they are produced in facilities, in munitions or elsewhere.

(For the purpose of implementing this Convention, toxic chemicals which have been identified for the application of verification measures are listed in Schedules contained in the Annex on Chemicals.)

7. "Riot Control Agent" means:

Any chemical not listed in a Schedule, which can produce rapidly in humans sensory irritation or disabling physical effects which disappear within a short time following termination of exposure.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by ofhumandescent

2) They got a few short squirts - that cop blasted 20X's the amount and it was bright orange...........(you trust it really was ONLY PEPPER SPRAY)????

The orange or red is dye and nothing more. its added to help the police or medics clean up after the arrest. its not some secret chemical.

also the type of can used (fire extinguisher type for crowd control ) is not the same as the singe target can or the jet type spray pattern(that is forceful enough to cut your face). it more like a mist or a fogger its meant for general dispersion and doesn't get as much direct contact with the eyes or mouth.

So here is what I think about the people that have been sprayed. 2 words. DRAMA QUEENS.

If you think you are hard enough to actually protest something meaningful and in a meaningful way(ie. not them) take the consequences like a man
edit on 23-11-2011 by DisIllusioned PatRiot because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by DisIllusioned PatRiot

Originally posted by ofhumandescent

The orange or red is dye and nothing more. its added to help the police or medics clean up after the arrest. its not some secret chemical.

also the type of can used (fire extinguisher type for crowd control ) is not the same as the singe target can or the jet type spray pattern(that is forceful enough to cut your face). it more like a mist or a fogger its meant for general dispersion and doesn't get as much direct contact with the eyes or mouth.

So hairs what I think about the people that have been sprayed. 2 words. DRAMA QUEENS.

If you think you are hard enough to actually protest something meaningful and in a meaningful way(ie. not them) take the consequences like a man

lol right? this is why I know this won't get violent... one gun shot and half the protestors will pee themselves and go home

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
And you cry because they use a fire extinguisher type can? ho.... that's nothing compared to this baby

This is called a Zorrillo (skunk), or Tear Gas Tank. It sprays gas while the cop is driving, usually right into the face of the rioters.
Lovely, isn't it??

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Skewed

Watch the video I put up...............

1) The police blasted them heavily at OWS, not just a couple squirts
2) The man in the video says the Police version is 2 million X's hotter
3) I don't trust that just because the bottle said pepper spray it was totally and only pepper spray.
4) Were you there?
5) That act was in clear violation of the 1st Amendments to the United States Constitution. Called the "Bill of Rights" which reads:

Freedom of Speech, Press, Religion and Petition

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Care to sit down and get exactly what they did and report back to us "it's not that bad." And I'm not talking a few quirts, I'm talking back and forth gallons and gallons four or five times, again soaking into their clothes including their genitals which must sting like hell.

Did they receive medical care afterwards............we are talking human cruelty but of course that is now becoming acceptable to many Americans now, we're being conditioned to accept this and that in and of itself is dangerous..............you all just don't see this.

Again BS.

Now, one last thought - they were sprayed all over. If any soaked into their clothes and in through their jeans and undies.....................you are talking major major major burning in a very sensitive area.

Try some empathy, these are the true patriots.

While the rest of you are keyboarding these people are out trying to fight for your freedom.

Freedom and Liberty are precious.........and ours are being ripped out slowly but surely from right under us and most people making light of this don't see it's going to escalate..............remember Kent State.

And again, sorry, I don't buy it, that cop had a big sprayer really dousing them...................I would like just five minutes with that cop and my steel baseball bat and I am normally a very nice person (an old lady at that).

A moral good person DOES NOT harm or cause pain to a peacefully sitting human. If they had orders to move them than pick them up, cuff them (not too tight) and place them in a paddy wagon.

****** NOTE ******

Anyone going to OWS, wear a good gas mask, protective clothing, steel toed shoes (you can run in), rain coat, and hard helmet. If you can afford a hazmat suit, all the better because you don't know what you are going to encounter.

Don't bring any children or pregnant women.

On a final note: From a psychological point - the majority of Americans are being conditioned to OBEY, RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.................Heard that before?

edit on 23-11-2011 by ofhumandescent because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Caggy
And you cry because they use a fire extinguisher type can? ho.... that's nothing compared to this baby

This is called a Zorrillo (skunk), or Tear Gas Tank. It sprays gas while the cop is driving, usually right into the face of the rioters.
Lovely, isn't it??

I want to see this thing in action.. ill get the poppy corn

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join