It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Genesis Mission Returns With a Piece of the Sun

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2004 @ 11:32 PM
link   
NASA Mission Returns With a Piece of the Sun The 'Genesis Mission'

I find it strange that NASA is going to capture the samples while it is still coming down to earth,
Why would they not just wait for it to land?

A few hundred feet above the vast, unoccupied grounds of the Utah Test and Training Range, the parachuting sample will be captured by a helicopter and gently delivered to the ground.

"The Genesis mission -- to capture a piece of the Sun and return it to Earth -- is truly in the NASA spirit: a bold, inspiring mission that makes a fundamental contribution to scientific knowledge," said Steven Brody, NASA's program executive for the Genesis mission, NASA Headquarters, Washington.

On September 8, 2004, the drama will unfold over the skies of central Utah when the spacecraft's sample return capsule will be snagged in midair by helicopter. The rendezvous will occur at the Air Force's Utah Test and Training Range, southwest of Salt Lake City.

"What a prize Genesis will be,"More

NASA

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 03:02 PM
link   
"If the capsule were to descend all the way to the ground, some might fracture or break away from their mountings; hence, the midair retrieval by helicopter, with crew members including some who have performed helicopter stunt work for Hollywood."

Straight from the article.

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Here is an interesting article I found.

How Dangerous is the Genesis Payload?
www.space.com...

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 04:32 PM
link   
The title of the thread is misleading as the capsule hasnt actually returned yet but on the 8th of September they plan to snag it and they also said that if you see a fireball in the sky on this date it will be the capsule.

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Where'd that picture come from? It looks like it's either very poor quality or just outright photoshopped. Weirdest part about it... that's the picture they used on the NASA website...

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Image left: A helicopter practices for sample return, which happens Sept. 8. + Full image and caption Image credit: NASA/JPL.

Come on now people, is it so hard to acctually read?

[edit on 6-9-2004 by DrpKeeGTZ]

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 05:12 PM
link   
[edit on 10/2/2004 by esther]

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 05:31 PM
link   
from what i read a while ago about practising the capture on its return to earth, it is because the fragments it has collected would be so fragile that a sudden jolt like it would suffer on a crash landing would dislodge the particles it has collected & they would probabaly be lost forever then.

collecting it in this way was supposed to be the best way of ensuring as little is lost as possible.

hope that helps

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I have a bad feeling about them releasing these particles of solar wind into our earth,is this really safe? Aslong as they open it somewhere contained and in a different country than im in i dont mind really

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 06:02 PM
link   
its only a part of the sun....it wouldnt kill anything or have harmful effects unless its radioactive....

new topics

top topics

join