It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Come There Exists No Mythological Being To Symbolize Our Birthdays?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   
We have Santa Claus for Christmas,

Elves who make his toys,

Magical Reindeer to fly his Magic Sleigh...

Elves who do our housework while we are sleeping...

We have the Easter Bunny for Easter who hides eggs everywhere...

We have Witches riding on Flying Broomsticks for Halloween...

Ghosts and Goblins walking around collecting candy...

We have Tooth Faries that leave money under pillows for our lost Teeth...

We have Storks that fly Babies home and leave them on doorsteps...

We have Genies who live inside Bottles...

We have Leprechauns that give Three Wishes if captured...

We even have Boogeymen hiding under our beds and in our closets...

Yet we have no Mythological Being to symbolize our Birthday celebrations...Why?
edit on 23-11-2011 by blocula because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by blocula

storks

edit on 23/11/2011 by maryhinge because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   
The Zodiac comes to mind....

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by blocula

Excluding the Stork of course or the bush that babies are found behind or those perverts, the birds and the bee's.

link   
Because most of those mythological beings have evoloved over time from ancient pagan traditions. If you want one for your birthday, then make one up, and hire a marketing campaign.

And by the way, does anyone know where I can find one of those Elves who do housework while I'm sleeping?
edit on 11/23/2011 by amaster because: I can.

link   
That is a very good question.

Maybe because children tend to have themed birthdays?

you have the annimals in the Chinese zodiac. Mine is a bunny!

We already get enough bribing mileage out of Xmas and Easter. I get at least a good month to two months each.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by blocula

Yet we have no Mythological Beings for our Birthday celebrations...Why?

Presumably because you are not Catholic. Every day of the year has a patron saint. You can still often guess what day someone was born on by their first name. A woman named "Bridget" or "Bridie" was probably born on February 1 and has St. Bridget as her patron saint.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
If you want a stork in your front room on your birthday morning, go for the fake ones, the real ones just arnt worth the extra.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Birthday celebrations are pagan in origin....Romans, Greeks, and Egyptians typically celebrated birthdays. The birthday candle was said to protect the birthday celebrant from demons for the coming year.
Birthdays were not typical among the Jewish and early Christianity, but around the 4th century it was accepted by many.

www.cogwriter.com...

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by BlueBanshee

Nothing ruins a birthday party like a demon. sigh

Or weird uncle Jim.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by amaster
Because most of those mythological beings have evoloved over time from ancient pagan traditions. If you want one for your birthday, then make one up, and hire a marketing campaign.

And by the way, does anyone know where I can find one of those Elves who do housework while I'm sleeping?
edit on 11/23/2011 by amaster because: I can.
Like the childrens story about the elves who arrived to repair and finish all the work on you know whos shoes while he was sleeping...

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by blocula

candles
LIGHT of your year.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   
HeyOp, you need to get adopted by a Mexican family and convert to Catholicism.

Then you'll get your very own Mexi-Catholic calendar, where every square/date is designated for a particular patron Saint of something.

Not what you asked for, but that's the closest you'll get to what you at asking for.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Our birthdays are held in high esteem and celebrated everywhere all the time,but theres no magical mythological being that was ever created to symbolize them and take part in them with us...

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
I would imagine it's because your birthday is an unquestionable entity and profiteering companies don't need to convince you to buy anything because you probably will be anyhow.

Any other "holiday" is based on faith, therefore they have to convince you to spend, so they create Santa and likewise, so that if he doesn't come your kid is crushed and you're made to feel guilty as hell!

Cynical much?

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ophiuchus 13
reply to post by blocula

candles
LIGHT of your year.
When people start dressing up as lit candles with plastic flames on their heads and sing happy birthday to all the little kids,then that will become the mythological being to represent and partake in our birthdays...

and when we invent and adhere to the belief in "imaginary candle people" who happen to show up just in time on everyones birthday and leave candle holders filled with birthay gifts...

I was laughing so hard while typing that...i almost couldnt finish it... (*_*)

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by blocula

Every birth date has a major arcana associated with it from Tarot. If you tell me your birth date and year, I can tell you what yours is. As "Destinyone" mentioned, astrology is your best bet.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Birthdays are a celebration of ageing. I remember reading years ago that when man started celebrating age, it shortened our life-span on earth. I don't know?

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by blocula
I was laughing so hard while typing that...i almost couldnt finish it... (*_*)

That cool it is quite funny to imagin

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Sounds daft at first, but in fact the OP makes a good point.

We invented father christmas as a mythological being that we pretend brings presents at christmas, the easter bunny does likewise at easter and the tooth fairy recompenses lost teeth. Yet when it comes to birthday presents, we never pretend, even to the youngest children, that these come from anyone but our parents and other family and friends.

No idea why though.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join