It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Brinicle' Ice Finger of Death Filmed in Antarctic.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Oozii

Brine Lakes are one of the coolest phenomenon around! They look like a lake, with a beach, and meadows, and unique sea life, and even their own wave patterns all contained at the bottom of another body of water. I'm convinced this is where SpongeBob lives!

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by icepack

I watched,.......but the only thing I learned is that you make no sense at all. What exactly was that scene from "Airplane" supposed to teach me? Admit it,......you just don't have a very good grasp of the English language. That's ok,.......not everyone was born in an English speaking country. Keep working on it buddy. Eventually you'll make sense when you speak. Oh wow this will be yanked in no time
edit on 11/23/2011 by pwrthtbe because: (no reason given)

yanked in 3,2,1,......yay!
edit on 11/23/2011 by pwrthtbe because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I enjoyed the frozen starfish probably better than the ice finger, sorry starfish.

Good find.

edit on 23-11-2011 by Turq1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by pwrthtbe

you did not learn, because you did not want to see the truth.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I wonder if these ice columns formed by the super cold brine sinking continue to grow larger and anchor the forming ice shelf above to the sea bed.

What happens to the brine itself once it reached the sea bed? Is it absorbed into the sea bed?

Does this mean that solids dissolved by water flowing into the sea, get re-generated into solids by this ice forming action?

Wow, lots of possibilities.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Turq1
I enjoyed the frozen starfish probably better than the ice finger, sorry starfish.

Good find.

edit on 23-11-2011 by Turq1 because: (no reason given)

I did too, does that make us bad people?
Thanks fro this share OP

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

geez, I've never seen so many posts pulled in one thread....
stop bickering you guys

I wonder if these ice columns formed by the super cold brine sinking continue to grow larger and anchor the forming ice shelf above to the sea bed.

I can't see an anchor happening. Brine is still salt and very unstable. In the water, it will not have the chance to solidify like in a cave.

What happens to the brine itself once it reached the sea bed? Is it absorbed into the sea bed?

someone correct me if I'm wrong, but No.

Does this mean that solids dissolved by water flowing into the sea, get re-generated into solids by this ice forming action?

hhmmm, well yes but only because of the cold temperature. the salt/brine is a solid in the ocean, it's just usually not seen because it's dissolved.
You can take a glass of saltwater and set it on a shelf and let it evaporate. the remaining solids are the salt. The solids/salt never evaporate.

Of course, SMTRu44 can no doubt explain it way better than I can. I maintained saltwater tanks for years for both retail and customers so I know a little but not much.
The salt never goes away, never evaporates, never gets absorbed. Only the plain old H2O can change the salinity.
edit on 23-11-2011 by horseplay because: typo. pet peeve.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by icepack
am i the only one that thinks its cgi ?

You know I almost posted a jokey reply to the OP that this was the BBC and thus everything it broadcasts is a lie (with extra super face slapping sarcasm). But no, lo and behold somebody is actually serious.......

This kind of documentary is world class. The world is full of wonders that CGI cannot surpass in a zillion years and yet paranoid ATS's just can't let go can they......

Please please please have good long hard think that whatever thought process makes you think it's CGI will no doubt have you coming to other odd assumptions about very many things.......wrongly!

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
wow that looks like something out of a movie, thanx for posting for beautiful vidio

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Very cool.

How on earth did a thread about freezing starfish become contentious?

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   
creeping ice

cool post !

im gonna check out the rest of the series the video was from, looks awesome

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by _Del_
Very cool.

How on earth did a thread about freezing starfish become contentious?

I was thinking the same thing

It would help if people would READ what is written in post's instead of having a quick look and then replying with a bunch of stupid questions that are already answered if the person took the 30 seconds required to read a four line paragraph...

I have little patience for intentionally stupid people.

Back on topic: AWESOME VIDS!!!!!!

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   
bbc nature will use CGI .

www.youtube.com...[yvid]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLr-_L5HuhU[/yvid ]

www.youtube.com...

but this was real the op is on about.
edit on (23/11/11) by ashwhy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Oozii

Wow now thats a fast fossil bed setup if i ever saw one....timelapse or not...

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   
I stopped watching nature documentary’s after reading that some film crew threw penguins of a cliff.
I don’t trust anyone anymore.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   
This is absoloutly nuts!!!!!! One of the coolest things in nature i've seen in a minute.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join