It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Would the Earth Look Like if it Stopped Spinning?Do we need cars?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Yes this is a good question,what will really happen if Earth stop spinning.Lose a part of the gravity?If so what we need cars for?maybe we walk like astronauts on the Moon!And if half gravity then how will do other things!

TextWhat would happen if the Earth stopped spinning? We don't have any reason to think it will in the next few million millennia, but Witold Fraczek, an employee of geographic imaging software company ESRI, was curious. He used ArcGIS, the company's flagship software, to build a virtual model of the planet in the absence of centrifugal force. Currently, the spin of our planet (it goes 1,667 kilometers per hour at the equator) pulls the mass of water toward the equator, creating an unsightly ellipsoidal bulge, and the oceans we are familiar with. Fraczek modeled the gradual change in the planet's geography that would happen as Earth slowed to a halt. As the spin stopped, the oceans would all fall back toward the poles, drowning everything north of Chicago and south of Buenos Aires and creating two massive circumpolar oceans. Wrapped around the middle of the planet would be a single equatorial megacontinent, with giant dry valleys where the old Atlantic and Pacific used to be. The immobile planet would be a perfect, if somewhat mountainous, sphere.
link(www.popsci.com...

source(www.popsci.com...

If the Earth's gravity were ever to change significantly, it would have a huge effect on nearly everything because so many things are designed around the current state of gravity.

source(ifebelongstoturtle.blogspot.com

The most important question is how will adapt humans to half gravity on Earth!

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 01:56 AM
link   
reply to post by diamondsmith

This has always been one of my fears to be honest, I always assumed without rotation, we would all just *float* away. Sounds fun while it lasts though.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nobama

This has always been one of my fears to be honest, I always assumed without rotation, we would all just *float* away. Sounds fun while it lasts though.
I wonder how will we poo!

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 02:02 AM
link   
One side would burn and the other freeze, no?, Only in twilight could humans survive. Without Edwards and Bellas...

And according to the map,I would have to become a Triton to keep on living here... Not much fun in perspective!

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 02:02 AM
link   

Why should Gravity stop working? The earth's mass is still under your feet. You would get heavier because of the absence of centrifugal forces "lifting" you right now.

Planets bound to their suns, like Mercury, are hellish hot on one side (depending on the distance to their sun, of course) and deep-frozen on the other side.
Did you know that the coldest spot in the solar system is on the sun-averted side of Mercury? Larry Niven once wrote a story about it, I think it's true.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 02:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by ManFromEurope

Why should Gravity stop working? The earth's mass is still under your feet. You would get heavier because of the absence of centrifugal forces "lifting" you right now.

Planets bound to their suns, like Mercury, are hellish hot on one side (depending on the distance to their sun, of course) and deep-frozen on the other side.
Did you know that the coldest spot in the solar system is on the sun-averted side of Mercury? Larry Niven once wrote a story about it, I think it's true.
Maybe in case of pole shift,but just for a short period of time!

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 02:15 AM
link   
It'd have to make you wonder how long we would survive for. No spinning would possibly mean the atmosphere would just float away, and one side would cook while the other side would be permanent icepack. Then there's the magnetosphere. I'm only guessing but without that rotation wouldn't it cease to exist? First CME from the sun and we're all deep fried, literally,,,

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 02:20 AM
link   
I'll take a stab at this for my first post since I teach high school earth science and biology.

I wouldn't worry about gravity disappearing because since the earth still has it's mass, there will still be gravity.

And, since there is still the same amount of gravity, the atmosphere will remain. So, Earth won't become like other tidal locked planets. We'd still have the same types of temperature albeit a little colder on the night side. But, alas, the atmosphere would stabilize temps globally.

My biggest worry would be the flora and fauna. Essentially, everything on the planet would have to adjust. Trees and other plant life on the night side would go extinct unless maintained artificially. There goes pretty much the entire ocean ecosystem on one side of the planet, as well. Vampires are safe.

On the sunny side, much of the same breakdown in the ecosystem would occur. Most plants don't tolerate 24 hours of consistent light. They also need night time. Plants respirate as well.

It's and interesting discussion to be sure.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 02:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by 74Templar
It'd have to make you wonder how long we would survive for. No spinning would possibly mean the atmosphere would just float away, and one side would cook while the other side would be permanent icepack. Then there's the magnetosphere. I'm only guessing but without that rotation wouldn't it cease to exist? First CME from the sun and we're all deep fried, literally,,,
We will hide in caves like reptilians,adapt and transform just like in that Time Machine movie!
edit on 23-11-2011 by diamondsmith because: Earth

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 02:24 AM
link   
reply to post by jawnaw2000

Hello there and welcome to ATS,have a long life here and I wish you many posts and threads!

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 02:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by diamondsmith

Originally posted by 74Templar
We will hide in caves like reptilians,adapt and transform just kike in that Time Machine movie!

actually I just did some research, it seems the magnetosphere is caused by slower moving magma in the earth's core, so if it stopped moving, I guess that would be it.
Not sure about hiding in caves, ever seen Knowing?

Could be worth a shot though

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 02:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by jawnaw2000
My biggest worry would be the flora and fauna. Essentially, everything on the planet would have to adjust. Trees and other plant life on the night side would go extinct unless maintained artificially. There goes pretty much the entire ocean ecosystem on one side of the planet, as well. Vampires are safe.

It's and interesting discussion to be sure.

Thanks for an informed reply, I have to admit I'm not the best at science...
Not to keen on the vampires being safe thing though... you know what means....

DAMN TWILIGHT FOREVER!

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 02:42 AM
link   
reply to post by ManFromEurope

The coldest places in the solar system are permanently shadowed craters near our moon's south pole, at around 33 kelvin they are colder than even the frozen objects of the outer solar system. If you want to be technical you could say the coldest place in the universe has been created right here on earth, where absolute zero has been achieved in laboritories.

To answer the op question, the earth would simply die. Its biodiversity and systems would crash completely, complex life could not survive. After a few years of hellish suffering the only inhabitants left on the planet would be Microbes.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 03:21 AM
link   

A pole shift doesn't work this way: Stop and roll over.. Nope, it's "just" a swap of the magnetic field direction, north pole becomes south pole and vice versa. The movement of the earth is unchanged in this process.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 03:44 AM
link   

A pole shift doesn't work this way: Stop and roll over.. Nope, it's "just" a swap of the magnetic field direction, north pole becomes south pole and vice versa. The movement of the earth is unchanged in this process.

So just out of curiousity what would it mean to have the poles affected such? Would it just mean compasses would be out by 180 degrees, or would it have more serious implications on the earth itself? Just wondering, science was never my strong suit...

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 03:49 AM
link   
reply to post by 74Templar

There are 2 new poles (north and south) that have been forming for many decades now...it hasn't been until recently that scientists have to "concede" to this fact and are now looking into the implications of this pole shift. The "magnetic" North is nothing more than the "Sum/Difference" of the 4 magnetic poles on earth.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 03:51 AM
link   

TextCharles Hapgood is now perhaps the best remembered early proponent. In his books The Earth's Shifting Crust (1958) (which includes a foreword by Albert Einstein that was written before the theory of plate tectonics was developed)[11] and Path of the Pole (1970). Hapgood, building on Adhemar's much earlier model,[citation needed] speculated that the ice mass at one or both poles over-accumulates and destabilizes the Earth's rotational balance, causing slippage of all or much of Earth's outer crust around the Earth's core, which retains its axial orientation.
link(en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 04:57 AM
link   

Okay, thats just unbelievable. In a engineers' way. Some cubickilometers of ice, weighing some million tons should "topple over" and MOVE the WHOLE EARTHS CRUST?! Hey, we aren't speaking about sliding some leaves of a tree (hey, its autumn
) over some mud, we are speaking of 2.234 x 10^19 to...

And by the way, how should some mass on one (or two) points of earth's crust cause a force on the complete crust? The only way for it to go would be INTO the earth by sinking through the crust. And even that is implausible as ice would melt and drain away while sinking into the crust.

Why should the earth topple? Tip: Show me some force-vectors supporting this idea.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 05:53 AM
link   

Lots of theories about this type of literal pole shift (flipping of crust) but absolutely no evidence in any rocks, etc anywhere in the world.

There is plenty of evidence however for a magnetic pole shift, for example rocks can show flow patterns in opposite directions within the same structure when examined under a microscope.
edit on 23-11-2011 by Flavian because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 02:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flavian

Lots of theories about this type of literal pole shift (flipping of crust) but absolutely no evidence in any rocks, etc anywhere in the world.

There is plenty of evidence however for a magnetic pole shift, for example rocks can show flow patterns in opposite directions within the same structure when examined under a microscope.
edit on 23-11-2011 by Flavian because: (no reason given)
Igneous rocks contain large proportions of metal elements such as iron and manganese. This gives the rocks magnetic properties which form anomalies in the earth's natural magnetic and gravitational field.

new topics

top topics

join