It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New weather/atmospheric phenomena discovered - Jumping Sundogs Over Thunderclouds

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Explanation: What's happening above those clouds? In the past few years, videos have appeared on the web detailing an unusual but little known phenomenon: rapid light changes over clouds. Upon inspection and contemplation, a leading hypothesis for its cause has now emerged. In sum, this hypothesis holds that a lightning discharge in a thundercloud can temporarily change the electric field above the cloud where charged ice crystals were reflecting sunlight. The new electric field quickly re-orients the geometric crystals to a new orientation that reflects sunlight differently. In other words, a lightning discharge can cause a sundog to jump. Soon, the old electric field may be restored, causing the ice crystals to return to their original orientation.

Source: NASA APOD 2011 November 8

When I initially saw this video posted here on ATS I thought it might have been a hoax. I certainly had no idea what I was seeing, but after seeing this explanation from NASA it makes perfect sence that the charge in the immediate vacinity of an electrical storm could affect the orrientation of ice crystals. Thank you NASA and good job for working out what was really going on

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   
One of the comments on the video says it looks like a glitch in the matrix...

To be honest I've never seen or heard of this before, it would have been cool to see it in person.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   
thanks nasa for telling us that it's swamp gas.

does nasa have any reasoning why this (and all kinds of other new phenomena) is just starting to be seen over the past couple years? let me guess...a rise in HD video cellphones?

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Uhhhh nevermind.
edit on 22-11-2011 by exdog5 because: pre-mature entry

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   
ya something like this needs, to be seen in real life, not virtual, for me to give it the OMG stamp of approval...

It is pretty interesting thou...

It does look a lil artificial thou, just due to seeing it on video, and all the ways this could be a fake so called scientific atmospheric or whatever it is occurance..

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   
I have only one thing to add to this and that is "Weather War's" are afoot.
With out a doubt the wind damage world wide and the quakes and the tornadoes and the faulty radar.......
Here the wind is none stop and from every direction all at once, two tornadoes and one earth quake this summer.
We cannot leave any furnature unattended in our yard because in the morning it is more than likely to be down the street rolling around.
The last major storm we had here we were watching the radar on the computer and not a thing to be seen........4 minutes later we ran like mad for the basement.
Regards, Iwinder
edit on 22-11-2011 by Iwinder because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
I swear ive seen this video before, a few months back, sorry cant find it right now, but if i remember correctly it was thought to be US stealth tech (and i think it might have been here one ATS i saw it)

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by C.H.U.D.

I don't know but it looks pretty darn cool to me, I think I would go inside if it was happening in my neck of the woods.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by ICEKOHLD

does nasa have any reasoning why this (and all kinds of other new phenomena) is just starting to be seen over the past couple years? let me guess...a rise in HD video cellphones?

The caption says:

In the past few years, videos have appeared on the web detailing an unusual but little known phenomenon: rapid light changes over clouds.

Not that it "is just starting to be seen". It is obviously a rare and transitory phenomenon requiring very specific conditions in order to be seen. There is no reason to believe that it hasn't always been going on. New creatures are discovered regularly. Does that mean they only recently appeared?

There must be other records of this around, from video sharing sites to perhaps even historical accounts, mixed and confused with all kinds of other things. You see, this may be an actual unidentified aerial phenomenon being discovered… through Youtube.

forgetomori.com...

edit on 11/22/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Thanks for posting this.

I had the thought when I had first seen the video that what was being filmed was a reflection off of a glass paine.

I appreciate the NASA explanation, it makes since and vindicates the person who originally posted the video as an authentic sighting and not another hoax.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   

I've never seen that in person, but that's a cool effect. I suspect the effect may be obscured by clouds so it may be a little tricky to get the right conditions so that it can be seen from the ground.

I wonder if pilots have ever observed this from the air?

The appearance does seem to be consistent with changing electric fields, so the theory sounds plausible to me.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

and you know what phage? i would love to argue with you but there's point. i've learned you are usually right.

as much as i'd love to hate you...you are usually right. so i will bow out to a better man.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   

I saw this vid (and another one like it) on here not too long ago. It's good to see an explanation. Must be one of those things where atmospheric conditions have to be "just right" in order for it to happen or it seems like it would be more common. But then again, a meteorologist I am not.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 06:14 AM
link   
WTF MATE?? i have never seen that before!!!

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by WiseThinker
I swear ive seen this video before, a few months back, sorry cant find it right now,

This thread here...
Weird Cloud Shoots Singapore
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by WiseThinker
I swear ive seen this video before, a few months back, sorry cant find it right now, but if i remember correctly it was thought to be US stealth tech (and i think it might have been here one ATS i saw it)

Yeah so have I. It was posted here a few months back, not sure what the verdict was on it though.

Edit: oops someone already found it
edit on 23-11-2011 by Watts because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

So then, what's your opinion of the phenomenon?

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by ICEKOHLD

Its so sad to see someone on their knees.

Nonetheless, since this particular phenomenon is rare, and there's only one video, its probably wise not to jump to conclusions, or fall to one's knees in praise of another until more information comes out.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Well it's obviously not that rare, judging by all those videos you posted. So where are all the historical accounts of this phenomena, outside of recent years?

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by FOXMULDER147

Quite rare. I've never seen it. Have you? Do you know anyone who has? The lighting and weather conditions have to be set up properly for it to be observed. I hardly consider 4 videos to be a great number. With "all those cameras" out there, 4 doesn't seem all "all that" many.

Historical accounts. Where are any recent accounts, other than the videos? How exactly would you describe the phenomenon in words that couldn't easily be confused with something else? As the quote I posted says:

perhaps even historical accounts, mixed and confused with all kinds of other things

top topics

<<   2 >>

join