It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Facebook users average 3.74 degrees of separation", Internet becoming 1

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
"Facebook users average 3.74 degrees of separation"
www.bbc.co.uk...

On our way to 'becoming one' it appears that the internet is the tool for doing so. This would imply that defending the freedoms of the internet, to be one of the most important issues facing the emerging New World.

It was previously stated that there is six degrees of separation, implying that on average the approximate steps of introduction is only 6, in regards to becoming acquaintances of one another.

6 Degrees of Separation
en.wikipedia.org...

It's no secret that Microsoft and the release of Ineternet Explorer has had a significant role in this developement. It seems that this has been partially their aim, and want to see a better future of humanity, using the internet and computers as being a tool for doing so. I could go on forever about the flow of information, and what it means in regards to helping this process of evolving to 'oneness' but it should be self evident.

Interestingly enough, check out what the logos and slogans of Microsoft have been over the past.

"Microsoft "blibbet" logo, filed August 26, 1982 at the USPTO and used until 1987"

"Microsoft "Pac-Man" logo, designed by Scott Baker and used since 1987, with the 1994–2002 slogan "Where do you want to go today?""

"Microsoft logo as of 2006–2011, with the slogan "Your potential. Our passion.""

"Logo by Microsoft with the slogan"Be What's Next." 2011–present"
en.wikipedia.org...

I apologize for not outlining in further detail, in regards to providing evidence in proving my point. I will be back later in the evening to address them individually.

If some people want to give it a jump start, check out the etymology of 'blibbet', and also the logos in which they use. I'm not all that familiar with ATS, so if anybody could post a bunch of the logos in which microsoft has used over the years, that would be appreciated. Even logos of subsidiaries, and all their sister companies. There are images online in which outline them all in one pic, in a family tree form. Thank you in advance for those that choose to contribute to this topic.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Facebook limits users to having 5,000 friends, but the median figure was far lower at just 100 contacts, or 0.000014% of Facebook's total membership.

Despite this relatively small number, the results showed 99.6% of all pairs of users were connected by five degrees of separation, and 92% were connected by four degrees.

There's a major flaw in their study, they are assuming that a Facebook friend = a real friend. So someone has 100 FB friends who in turn each have 100 FB friends who in turn.... etc. And that's how they decide the degrees of separation. The problem is most people don't even know 9/10 of their FB friends. I have over 100, but most are people I only "know" through online forums. I don't even know their real names and I certainly don't know what they look like or anything about them. They are not even close to being real friends. So all the "five degrees of separation" proves is that I've talked to a stranger who has talked to a stranger who has talked to a stranger who has talked to a stranger who has talked to me, LOL!

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by SavedOne

Yes, but you have still talked, where you otherwise would have not had the opportunity. This is significant, no? Perhaps not as significant as "real" friends, but still significant. You have a chance to share knowledge and opinions regardless of the level of friendship involved where previously there wouldn't have been that same chance, IMO.

Cool topic!

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by SavedOne

True. I have about 95 friends on facebook, and I make sure that I know every single one of them. I could pick any of these people and comfortably have them over for Thanksgiving! Facebook has many uses, so I see how this study is flawed. The whole "6 degrees" concept could be flawed couldn't it?

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   
hence exactely why i come to ats ...to share and read stories and be able to get the opinions of many people about numerous topics...way cool...as an example a few months ago we were discussing the weather ,the thread was about leaves falling early strange weather etc...next thing you know people from just about everywhere on the planet were adding their strange weather experience!...never before have the peolpe as such been able to chat like this

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 07:18 AM
link   
I use a total of 3 machines: my private and work laptops, and my home media slave/desktop. None of them have ever accessed Facebook. I have never had an account there. It is evil incarnate (if being a website can make you "incarnate", that is).

As a general rule, if "everyone else is doing it", i don't. It is an exercise in avoiding group think. I have just recently gotten to where I feel comfortable being human, taking part in human traits that are actually traits and not just group think.

I figure that the way humans think hasn't worked to create a utopia in the last billion years. So, unless I see soeone who is actually "hunting differently" than anyone else ever has, I am likely not going to fall in line with whatever school of groupthink they are the leader of.

Zuckerberg does not hunt differently. He is as big a lying, unethical, thieving jerk as any of the rest of them.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   
[color=mediumorchid]I have about 430 facebook friends. A great deal of them are family, highschool friends, college friends, etc. But a large chunk of them are gamer friends. People I don't really know at all.

I am amazed at the mutual friends I have in common with other people though. Groups that used to be totally separate are all mixed together now. Kind of strange.

edit on 23-11-2011 by daryllyn because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   
I apologize for my absence from this thread, with out further ado, I will present my case in regards to Windows and becoming 1

The logo of the window:

I would suggest that it can represent a couple different things, but seems to have a 'transcendental' quality in symbolic meaning.

One take, is that it is to represent the window of opportunity, as well at the same time to represent what is going on outside of self in the world of 'oneness'.

Inside the window you will see 4 colors, 3 of them being Red Green and Blue(RGB) which are additive primary colors, and can be used to create a majority of all colors. The use of RGB in electronic systems is to coincide with sense, and representation of images. There for RGB inside the window is to represent, in a digital sense, what is going on in the world and what the world itself is.
RGB also(before electronics) has a backing in the human perception of colors, aka trichromaticism, being the condition in possessing three independen 'channels' for the conveyance of 'color information'
Trichromacy
en.wikipedia.org...

RGB color model
en.wikipedia.org...

Now there's one more color, being that there are four windows, and that being of a pale'ish yellow, I'm not sure on the exact 'name' of the color. But here is my theory.
It is the color that comes about when the RGB model is used, and Green and Red are mixed. Due to us, 'moving into the future' that would imply that we are moving away from the original form or force of creation. Which some could argue is light. Now, in physics, there is a such thing as Redshift, in which is to describe the 'doppler' effect when moving away from an original source of light.

Plants don't use green light, and I would suggest that if we were to place a color to define humanity, it would be 'green', for it is a very 'material' color for life. For me, I see it as a equator, or 'equalizer' of sorts. It's the ultimate 'as is above, so is below' right in the middle type of color. Not lets forget that in a rainbow, many describe the colors as ROY G BIV. With G, being Green, right in the middle, and kinda balancing the spectrum. Also G is the 4th in line, and in Pythagorean understanding of numbers, 4 is to represent 'justice', not necessarily a 'morality' form of justice, but rather a cosmological natural number of 'justice' between 1 and 9, 10 being completion and 5 being the marriage between them all. That's a whole different topic though, and not one that I use to necessarily defend my complete understanding or beliefs.
In this video,"A Green Light for Biology - Making the Invisible Visible"
www.engineering.com... , you will find further understanding of this, as a biofluorecent creatures that we are, the correlation comes from recieving 'blue light' in which could be represented as our sky, as the light from the sun filters through our atmosphere. This is not to be taken literally, this is purely figurative.
There for, this yellow'ish color represents, life moving into the future: Green(life) + Red(shift; from source of light)

Redshift
en.wikipedia.org...

A Green Light for Biology - Making the Invisible Visible
www.engineering.com...
The entirety of this video, and its uses with proteins and life... it surely reiterates my point about green and life.

Finally, you come to seeing that the logo is of a window, and often times represented as appearing to be a form of a 'wave'.
I'm not going to sit here and outline every aspect of the 'wave', rather I will leave you with this...
The world, and universe is partially(some say fully) a construct of the propagation of waves influencing and interacting with one another.

Electromagnetic spectrum
en.wikipedia.org...

Wave Function
en.wikipedia.org...
Something helpful to gain a better understanding would be to check out...

Wave Function Collapse
en.wikipedia.org...

So, all in all, what do 'I' think it means...

It's to represent a Extraversion or extraverted outlook on the world, looking outside of yourself, through the window into the world, and becoming the future.
If you are to check out just exactly the behaviour of Extraversion, it very well describes the internet as a whole. As we convey information back and forth, we continue to deny ignorance in a way, and if we are to all come to agreements using reasoning and methodology in which binary is constructed of, we will become 1. 1 in a voice of understanding, or Thrive over Survive, for there is nothing that Humanity should fear, as we innovate our reality to allow us to defend from 'impending' doom.

Am I close? What does ATS think?

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Next I will address the 'Blibbet', Windows 7, Windows Vista, and the coming Windows 8(what are they waiting for?), and touch base on 8, 16, 32 and 64-bit implications as well as 'toying' around with ideas of the 8 sided pyramid of Giza and its correlation with computing as they pyramids are to represent Space, Time, and the Universe alike.
I will present my case on these topics either shortly after any conversation ensue from my previous post about the windows logo, or a week from now...

To keep you busy in the mean time, check out...
www.ida.net...
Joseph Smith's 'Revelation' of the Pyramids.

"Joseph Smith also noted that this Kolob idea is "The measurement according to celestial time, which celestial time signifies one day to a cubit."
"This idea of measurement to the ancient Egyptians was precisely what Joseph Smith said, namely, "the system of measures must have coordinated not only length, volume, and weight, but also time."

Who is Joseph Smith?
en.wikipedia.org...
A prophet? Some would say... Founder of the Latter Day Saint movement? Says history

I think it's hillarious that many people truly think that Mormonism came from just some farmer who took some crazy rocks, placed them in a hat, and spoke to god. HAHA
I AM NOT, by ANY MEANS, AT ALL, Mormon lol. Nothing against it, but I am me, and my relationship with any 'God' or the space and material that surrounds me, can not be described using any lable. I'm sure this goes for many of you out there.

Till then, take care, and I look forward to your ideas or thoughts on the subject.

new topics

top topics

join