It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OWS: ATS has your opinion changed?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Evolutionsend
reply to post by SLAYER69

Some of these could go either way. You should've asked them to declare a side.

Nope, this is an open discussion [Hopefully a civil one]

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   
I never thought it would amount to much and am surprised to see protesting of such nature in America. I have followed it all quite closely from over the pond. Am I allowed to say that I support some of OWS but not all.

I think it's good people are waking up to the financial crisis, that people are recognising the injustices in the world. It's good to see people out and debating with each other on the streets, engaging within the civil realm, rather than shoot from the anonymity of of their on line avatars.

I don't like some of the tactics being used and some of the ideas being proposed.

Unfortunately as others have posted, this is still pretty small scale on the grand scheme of things. More will be trawling the streets for christmas gifts and other Holiday treats than attending any protest. Untill that changes I doubt much will.

Still if they make it through a tough winter, I will have more respect for them.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   
I was a support of the OWS in the earlier days, but... Their actions and the interviews I've seen people do with them has made me loss support. You can even find the transition post, I was a little overzealous though in my hast to sever ties with them. Anyways, there not as bad as people some people make them out to be. However nor or they non-political enough for me to give support back, if you poke around see the videos you can see where the majority of the OWS lies in bed with.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Many people dont realize when these protests really started. I had sent a link to a friend in June about the small protest that was happening in NYC. According to wiki, the protests started in Sept, others say July, but they started in June, and was not talked about.

Occupy Wall Street

Occupy Wall Street (OWS) is an ongoing series of demonstrations initiated by the Canadian activist group Adbusters which began September 17, 2011 in Zuccotti Park of New York City's Wall Street financial district. The protests are against social and economic inequality, high unemployment, greed, as well as corruption, and the undue influence of corporations—particularly that of the financial services sector—on government. The protesters' slogan We are the 99% refers to the growing difference in wealth in the U.S. between the wealthiest 1% and the rest of the population. Occupy Wall Street has led to the broader Occupy movement of leaderless protests in other American cities and around the world.

en.wikipedia.org...

The original protest were for more then one reason, not just wallstreet. It has since turned into a monster. The protests were about lay-offs, the war, and the bankers.

Media ignores public outrage while protesters camp out in NYC

By watching this you can see that there is something else behind what this has since turned into.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrNotforhire
can't stand them more than I did when this started... I feel that things in the camps are covered up.... (you know oh the rapes)

also... the hypocrisy... Dont need to go into it

and...
Anon is acting like domestic terrorists.. THREATENING to bring down the wall street exchange (yeah that didn't happen)

just a bunch of followers following other followers...

doesn't work

"Anon is acting like domestic terrorists.. THREATENING to bring down the wall street exchange (yeah that didn't happen)"

I would like to point out to you, Anon was started as just concept about speaking out anonymously. You are literally participating in Anon by posting your opinion on the internet using a handle instead of your name and an avatar instead of your face.

The hacking operations are started by random people (like you and me, there is no hierarchy) who called for them by making up an operation idea, these operations have been carried out (or not if they lack support) mostly by the hacking groups AntiSec and Lulzsec. You can be Anon without participating in or even supporting these hacking operations. Just thought I would clear that up for ya...

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Mod note: If you disagree with a mod action, that's fine, but do so via private message. Throwing hissy fits in the thread is rude and leads to post bans. We'll discuss this privately. -- Majic

edit on 11/22/2011 by Majic because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

I for one appreciate the opinions and perspectives presented by those from across the pond.

edit on 22-11-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by CREAM

can't stand them more than I did when this started... I feel that things in the camps are covered up.... (you know oh the rapes)

also... the hypocrisy... Dont need to go into it

and...
Anon is acting like domestic terrorists.. THREATENING to bring down the wall street exchange (yeah that didn't happen)

just a bunch of followers following other followers...

doesn't work

"Anon is acting like domestic terrorists.. THREATENING to bring down the wall street exchange (yeah that didn't happen)"

I would like to point out to you, Anon was started as just concept about speaking out anonymously. You are literally participating in Anon by posting your opinion on the internet using a handle instead of your name and an avatar instead of your face.

The hacking operations are started by random people (like you and me, there is no hierarchy) who called for them by making up an operation idea, these operations have been carried out (or not if they lack support) mostly by the hacking groups AntiSec and Lulzsec. You can be Anon without participating in or even supporting these hacking operations. Just thought I would clear that up for ya...

Yeah but when they attach themselves to OWS (you know masks, SYMBOLISM) talking about bringing down certain aspects of what YOU are complaining about as the so called "99%" it makes them look like you are part of them... and in that... BOOM well you see where im going..

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I just got back from running errands near the occupy Phoenix protests.

I'll tell you what, if one more of them dares to pan handle from me again, I'm going to start pepper spraying them myself!

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by supine
I just got back from running errands near the occupy Phoenix protests.

I'll tell you what, if one more of them dares to pan handle from me again, I'm going to start pepper spraying them myself!

oh another reason... they act like homeless people....

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   
The truth is that there is so much to occupy
But OWS is way too disorganized and many of those opposing banks and wallstreet will vote for Obama when he was the biggest bailouter/supporter for corrupt banks and wallstreet.
Obama is not pro-wallstreet, Obama IS wallstreet

They'll vote for him anyhow
Of course not 100% but still just too many for this movement to be taken seriously

Understand this is not a partisan opinion, if it was Dennis Kuccinich I wouldn't have a completely different opinion I swear.

But they are only occupying the consequences of corruption not the root cause or the decision makers

Allow me to make a comparison

KFC makes chicken fast foods out of diseased chickens but protestors occupy customers not KFC or the FDA

Originally posted by SLAYER69
[I have to be honest] many of the Pro OWS supporters attitudes here are doing a great job of killing my potential support for and hope that OWS will eventually accomplish something tangible after it's all said and done.

There is too much truth in this

I see alot of people saying
"OWS is non-violent, you are only commenting on a few and paiting them with a broad brush"
then you show them a video and they say
"Ya so what? They SHOULD do exactly this, how long will they wait?"

Also in debates it's like why don't you care?
Of course i care I just immensely disagree with the approach.

All in all if they get organized and tackle correct issues and ensure that at very large majority of people educate themselves before protesting then I will support OWS Completely!

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

But OWS is way too disorganized and many of those opposing banks and wallstreet will vote for Obama when he was the biggest bailouter/supporter for corrupt banks and wallstreet.

yeah exactly... but they will bury their heads in the sand and be like "NO OBAMA IS THE MESSIAH!" like he still can't do wrong??? REALLY??? REALLY?! He is the reason you are protesting....

Great post.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Yeah but when they attach themselves to OWS (you know masks, SYMBOLISM) talking about bringing down certain aspects of what YOU are complaining about as the so called "99%" it makes them look like you are part of them... and in that... BOOM well you see where im going..

Well actually I am not complaining, I support most of the Anon operations.

And, Anon did start OWS, see the video from sep 10th - www.youtube.com...

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

This movement may not be perfect, but it's the best chance we've had in the last generation to effect some real change.

that pretty much sums it up for me

I have a feeling you and I might see a few things differently here and there OldCorp :-)

what I love about OWS is exactly this - that you and I can both see the potential in what's happening now

and this is the thing - it is inclusive - even if some people insist it's not

it's not perfect - but what is?

to the OP: no :-)

still feel the same...waiting for the other shoe to drop - that's about it

and, listen - for what's it's worth - it really isn't perfect - I know that - everybody knows that. I'm not easily disillusioned - I know what all comes with this sort of thing

but as OldCorp just suggested - this really is something

it will be interesting to see where it goes. Even if it ended today - it got a fair amount of people in this country (and the world) thinking - and talking to each other

It was worth it just for that

edit on 11/22/2011 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by CREAM

Well actually I am not complaining, I support most of the Anon operations.

And, Anon did start OWS, see the video from sep 10th - www.youtube.com...

and thats the reason I will never support this movement... Being angsty online is the easiest way to kill your cause.. I'm not watching your youtube video on sheer principal of I don't care what kids do in their basements.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
being on ATS everday since around march, i've watched a lot of events of unfold in other parts of the world that I probably wouldn't have noticed otherwise or perhaps even cared about.

to actually have one thing where I went and participated in my own region, even once, honestly i'm glad that someone out there is doing something rather then nothing.
i'd go as far as saying ATS is the reason I went and had some reasonable knowledge about the entire thing.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   

oh another reason... they act like homeless people....

Well, I'll tell you what....I live in a domestic violence program. I am a very petite woman, weighing about 105, and I am going downtown nearly every day for job interviews. I am seeking to work in one of the corporations these people hate, and guess what? I dress nicely for interviews.

If you look like you have a couple of bucks they are all over ya! Disgusting!

Cheesy Rice, it's always the same couple of guys, too! I'm like "hey, don't you remember me telling you NO yesterday?"

I had gone to where they all meet a few times, and these same guys are always there.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Initially, I was neutral on the topic. We've seen many calls for "revolution" on ATS over time; some I personally viewed as legitimate, others not so much so. For me, it was invigorating to see attitude, thought, and belief being translated to action at first.

But, frankly, recently I have avoided ATS more than normal because of the preponderance of OWS-related topics. I don't mind debate--I actually enjoy it--so why could it be that OWS topics irritate me so much when it is a subject of such heated discusssion?

I guess I started getting vexed when I saw how businesses (small, medium, or large) were becoming adversely affected in these rough economic times. Then, the violence.....And also, research of my own, on other sites, as well as this one. Some of which may be conspiracy oriented (i.e., Soros, Obama), but all of which result in a conclusion that OWS is not what it appears to be...

So, to answer the question in short, my opinion has changed from neutral/slightly favorable to a position of an overall negative view of the OWS movement.

Who knows? In time, my opinion may change again--depending on what transpires...but I have a bitter taste in my mouth as of today....

edit on 22-11-2011 by BurningSpearess because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join