It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Real Mr. Incredible: Self-Styled 'Superheroes'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   

The Real Mr. Incredible: Self-Styled 'Superheroes'

www.npr.org

November 22, 2011
Phoenix Jones has been stabbed, punched and held up at gunpoint. He's been bludgeoned with a baseball bat and lacerated with a key all in his capacity as self-appointed savior of the Seattle streets. Phoenix is a self-designated superhero and the fascinating subject of Jon Ronson's new ebook, The Amazing Adventures of Phoenix Jones.

Ronson, author of Men Who Stare at Goats and The Psychopath Test, has long been drawn the extreme and outre. Investigating the superhero subculture, he found these qualities in abundance as well as a flourishing — if hidden — community
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   
maybe this is a good idea. not necessarily the outfit, but maybe it is time to take back our streets!
seriously, when was the last time you interviened in a crime?
helped out a neighbor, wore a skin tight superhero costume?

please though, it's rough out there,
"Phoenix Jones has been stabbed, punched and held up at gunpoint. He's been bludgeoned with a baseball bat and lacerated with a key all in his capacity as self-appointed savior of the Seattle streets."
consider some martial arts training first.

www.npr.org
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 22-11-2011 by rubbertramp because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   

"If he's on his way to thwart a crime and somebody recognizes him from YouTube, he'll quite often stop and have his picture taken and by which time the criminal has vanished," Ronson says. Just your typical celebrity superhero occupational hazard.

Something tells me this would make a great premise for a comic book.

Awesome!

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
I seen this before. Also there are those kids in B.C. who are luring pedophiles off the interweb and confronting them in public places dressed as Batman.

I think we are getting to a point in society where people have just had enough. Where I live crime is rampant. A town with only 98k population in the core and yet daylight robberies are a daily occurance. Violent crime has overrun most of the city. The drug culture here is booming.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
this already was a comic book

Kick Ass

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Just pray no one decides to do this and is a fan of Rorschach.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by SpectreDC

That was the only role I would like to play, no guns , no tools, just me. That should be enough.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   
What's cool when your eleven is kind of ridiculous looking when you are in your 30s.
I mean, it's all noble and everything (except for photo shoots on the way to crime fighting.) but there are better ways, than to dress up like a buffoon while wielding a large can of pepper spray.

Though it was funny when I saw him getting beat in the head with a high heel by the crazy bimbo he thought he was saving. He needs a grappling hook and a way to egress in a hurry.

That would be cool...also I like his mask it is kind of cool too.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by rubbertramp

if you havnt got super powers - you are not a super hero - you are a darwin award seeker

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   
if I were wealthy, I would invest in making his suit better...I think I would invest a few million bucks.

Improved armor, fire resistant. Reenforced ABS plastic in the mask coated in further fire resistance.
50K on the utility belt alone. I would also send Benjamin fodder to various tactical schools. I think he is probably covered on the hand to hand already.

I may get a Phoenix mobile but considering he has multiple traffic infractions on his record that's probably not a good idea.

He is like a real I life action figured and I am bored and I want him to have better equipment....Too bad I am poor.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by rubbertramp
seriously, when was the last time you interviened in a crime?

Seriously, I must be like Chuck Norris and crime is afraid of me.

helped out a neighbor

See above!

wore a skin tight superhero costume?

All the time before phone booths became obsolete.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Man if he didn't stop for pictures i would think it was cool.

But he does. I think he is more of a sidekick.

Someone here should do this, an ATSman. Get support and stop corruption in government.
I am sure you could get alot of financial support here haha

*add* Yes martial art training is necessity in a superhero, watch batman begins.... haha
edit on 23-11-2011 by KingAtlas because: add

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by defythetyrants
this already was a comic book

Kick Ass

Ah, right.

Sorry, I meant a good comic book that wasn't made for 12 year old girls.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by TinkerHaus

Sounds a lot like Deadpool from Marvel Comics.

One of the few superhero, villains, mercs that knows he's in a comic book and enjoys fame.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   
seriously these guys should read kickass because siper heroe life didnt work so well for big daddy did it.
if i remember the movie right he was cooked on live webcam in front of his adopted child mindy, and kickass was severely bewaten

new topics

top topics

join