It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Soliciting Campaign Contributions Via Sweepstakes - Is it legal?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Hello ATS.

So I receive political newsletters from all sorts of different places. I don't necessarily agree with or support most of these organizations, but I like to know what they are sending to and promoting among their supporters.

Anyway, I got this one from the Obama 2012 Election Campaign, and not only does it seem kind of sleezy, I question it's legality.

Essentially, if you donate $3 you are entered to win a dinner with the POTUS. I was under the impression that a sweepstakes must allow entry without a contribution otherwise it's considered a lottery AKA gambling. This is why when you play the McDonald's Monopoly game or any other contest of this nature you always see the disclaimer "NO PURCHASE NECESSARY!" In order to be in compliance with the law, they must allow entry without requiring payment.

I'm wondering why it would be legal to make people contribute money to enter this contest while it's not legal for other contest (with much better prizes, might I add.)

Does anyone have a legal background or any other knowledge of the laws and regulations regarding sweepstakes? Can a political campaign offer prizes to their paying supporters that the rest of us are not eligible to receive? Any clarification from someone with experience in this area would be greatly appreciated.

I can't link to the document so I'll quote the entire thing, my apologies if it's too big.

Michael --
A few Thursdays ago, I had dinner with four Americans named Ken, Casey, Juanita, and Wendi -- the winners of the campaign's first Dinner with Barack contest.

I loved getting to know each of them.

We're taking names for the next dinner starting now, and this time I want to add a new feature: If you win, you can bring a guest.

Chip in $3 or more today to be automatically entered to win a spot for you and a guest at the next dinner.

The folks who this election is all about tend to fall under the radar of the D.C. pundits and traditional news media.

They're people like Juanita, who helped put her three sons through college on a teacher's salary while saving what she could for retirement.

Like Ken, a single dad who stood by his mother as she fought insurance companies while battling two forms of cancer.

They're like Casey, whose three young kids may not yet appreciate what courage it took for their dad to take a chance and start his own business.

And Wendi, an artist and third-generation teacher who canvassed, marched, and phone banked in Indiana in 2008, the year her home state defied the traditional electoral map.

These people weren't just there for themselves -- they were representing you, this movement, and the folks I go to work for every day as president.

These dinners are important to me because I want to spend time whenever I can with the people who sent me here. They're proving wrong the conventional wisdom that says campaigns should cater to Washington lobbyists and powerful interests. And they're an important reminder that this movement -- and my presidency -- have never just been about me.

I'm proud that we're choosing to run the kind of campaign where a dinner like this isn't just possible, it's a regular thing.

And next time, I don't just want to meet you -- I want to meet someone else in your life.

Donate $3 or more, and start thinking about who you'll invite to dinner:

donate.barackobama.com...

Thanks for being part of this, Barack

edit on 22-11-2011 by TinkerHaus because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I'm not sure interesting question though. Hope someone get the answer. However even if it wasn't legal except in places like Nevada, the most they could do is bring it to the medias attention which they will argue over for a while then dropped the subject like it never happen.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Does it matter if it is illegal? We have let him get away with all of the other illegal things he has done, so why is this any different? What else would you expect from this Marxist PoS.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   

No purchase, payment, or contribution necessary to enter or win. Contributing will not improve chances of winning. Void where prohibited. Entries must be received by midnight on 9/30/11. You may enter by contributing to Sponsor at dinnerwithbarack.com... or click here to enter without contributing. Four winners will each receive the following prize package: one round-trip ticket from within the fifty U.S. States, DC, or Puerto Rico to a destination to be determined by the Sponsor; hotel accommodations for one; and dinner with President Obama on a date to be determined by the Sponsor (approximate combined retail value $1,050). Odds of winning depend on number of entries received. Promotion open only to U.S. citizens, or lawful permanent U.S. residents who are legal residents of 50 United States, District of Columbia and Puerto Rico and 18 or older (or of majority under applicable law). Promotion subject to Official Rules and additional restrictions on eligibility. Sponsor: Obama for America, 130 E. Randolph St., Chicago, IL 60601.

No purchase is necessary.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I'm sure its legal, if only for the reason that the "prize" itself has no monitory value. But while we're asking, what about the "dinner with Sarah Palin" offer that she put on Ebay. It sold for $63,000. The money went to charity. Isn't Obama's campaign considered a charity?

LINK
edit on 22-11-2011 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

Ha!

I'm an idiot, I clicked the link and didn't even notice the T&C.

Thanks Blackmarketeer, I guess this thread can be tossed now. =]

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
sounds like a big scam to me...even if it's "legit"...it sounds unethical, and plain stupid

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   
I agree it's sleazy.

Now that I've been "debunked" I'll just point out that it's pretty lame that Obama can use tax payer dollars to fund these dinners, while asking us to contribute to his personal campaign.

In a way he's kind of taking from the general budget and adding to his campaign budget. In a way.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
I don't think the thread should be tossed this is the first I have heard of this and I think it needs to be spread.

I don't care if no purchase is necessary, that is an incredible misuse of power. As the POTUS I expect he should be garnering campaign contributions on the basis of his prior and future WORK, not on the basis of his celebrity status as a high ranking politician . I don't care if it is 100% legal, it is completely unethical and a smack in the face.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by TinkerHaus

No problem!

reply to post by moonweed

sounds like a big scam to me...even if it's "legit"...it sounds unethical, and plain stupid

Any different than when a politician charges $2,500 a plate for dinner to his donors? The only real difference here is Obama is accepting donations of any value (the T&C even states no contribution necessary) open to anyone - and not the usual uber-wealthy fatcat politico's.

Remember when Bush created 'levels' of donor contributions - Pioneers, Rangers, etc. - and access to himself for the highest donors at special dinners?

Bush Pioneer

Bush Pioneers are people who gathered $100,000 for George W. Bush's 2000 or 2004 presidential campaign. Two new levels, Bush Rangers and Super Rangers, were bestowed upon supporters who gathered $200,000+ or $300,000+, respectively, for the 2004 campaign, after the 2002 McCain–Feingold campaign finance law raised hard money contribution limits. This was done through the practice of "bundling" contributions. [1] There were 221 Rangers and 327 Pioneers in the 2004 campaign and 241 Pioneers in the 2000 campaign (550 pledged to try).[1] A fourth level, Bush Mavericks, was used to identify fundraisers under 40 years of age who bundled more than $50,000

ETA: I agree it is sleazy though.
edit on 22-11-2011 by Blackmarketeer because: (no reason given)

join