It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

kill chip in ps2

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2004 @ 08:33 PM
link   
i think theres a "kill chip" in the ps2 so it will burn out after 3 years.
then ether you buy a new one for $150.00 or send it back to sony so they can "fix" it that cost$125.00 your scewed both ways

[Edited on 4-9-2004 by DRAGON27]

posted on Sep, 4 2004 @ 08:48 PM
link   
I've had my PS2 since the first day it came out and its almost 4 years old now and it's working just as good as the first day I bought it.

[Edited on 5-9-2004 by Ocelot]

posted on Sep, 4 2004 @ 08:51 PM
link   
i keep getting a disk error and my disks are clean

posted on Sep, 4 2004 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by DRAGON27
i keep getting a disk error and my disks are clean

ahh its the DVD drive lens that's dirty. You need to clean it every couple of months. Thats why you're getting the disk error.

posted on Sep, 4 2004 @ 09:02 PM
link   
This is what you need:

PS2 Laser Lens Cleaner

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 11:38 PM
link   
thanx

i was going to buy a new one next week

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by DRAGON27
thanx

i was going to buy a new one next week

No problem. Glad to help.

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Mine wont play DVD's anymore:shk:

Im so annoyed- some games wont work- like GTA-vice city. will sometimes mess up- and i take very good care of my Ps2 and games- its never kept on the floor- it gets hooverd out- and i have cleaned the damn lens!!!!

Oh dear- well they are still alot here- they go for about �160- which is stupid.

Thinking about maybe converting to the Xbox side lol

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Xbox is best

Xbox Live is great

The games are great

And Xbox gets Halo 2

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 10:07 AM
link   
The only problem with xbox live isn't there like a monthly fee. For ps2 internet stuff you just need to have an internet connection.

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 10:11 AM
link   
xbox signed some agerment with mothers agenced voilance or some thing like that nintendo signed aswell that means know M or above games.
that means more blood,sex,curseing,and good old fashon killin on PS2.
and xbox and nintendo had to find a way to compunsate
Xbox did a good job
nintendo well lets just i had more playing my old N64

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 06:11 PM
link   
I love my pS2 *goes over to it and strokes it loveingly*

I dont wanna ever get rid of it ( well i will consider when/if pS3 comes out )

But i think PS2 get the best choice of games

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 11:06 AM
link   
One of the reasons why some people get "Read Errors" on the early PS2s, is because of a fault. Sony admitted to this, and offered a great number of people free replacements.

I saw this on the news a while back, so I do not have links.

I don't think Lens Cleaners will fix a problem like that. If it's just a dirty lens, then yea - but this particular error was caused by a fault.

One thing I do not like about the PS2 lasers, is that they are extremely weak. So you need to use Lens Cleaners every so often. I have, and have many times when a game of mine works perfectly on my PS2 - but crashes a lot on friends PS2s. Their PS2s are older than mine, so probably need a good clean.

This only happens to me, with games that have slight scratches.

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 11:18 PM
link   
I sell video games in my store, and always talked to people about this problem. One guy was an electrician and said he wasn't afraid to open up his system when this happened. He told me he discovered that some teeny little screw in the laser housing was unscrewing itself loose (probably due to millions of vibrations over its lifespan). He said he tightened it with an allen wrench and the PS2 worked perfect afterwards.
If this IS the source, it would explain why the machine sometimes has problems reading certain color disks..(blue=CD-ROM)(silver=DVD). Maybe the laser would lose its focus range on one or the other. Thank God mine still works after 4 years.

[Edited on 9-9-2004 by PrototypeGamma]

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 05:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by PrototypeGamma
I sell video games in my store, and always talked to people about this problem. One guy was an electrician and said he wasn't afraid to open up his system when this happened. He told me he discovered that some teeny little screw in the laser housing was unscrewing itself loose (probably due to millions of vibrations over its lifespan). He said he tightened it with an allen wrench and the PS2 worked perfect afterwards.
If this IS the source, it would explain why the machine sometimes has problems reading certain color disks..(blue=CD-ROM)(silver=DVD). Maybe the laser would lose its focus range on one or the other. Thank God mine still works after 4 years.

[Edited on 9-9-2004 by PrototypeGamma]

Sounds like it is worth a look- i dont want to have to fork out loads to get it fixed and i dont want to have to fork out loads to buy another one lol...

Mine hasnt played DVDs for ages!!!

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 05:53 AM
link   
Ive had to black ps2 pack up on me have a silver one now & it works fine might fix my take one of the old ones apart this weekend have a look get some cash for them

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 04:14 PM
link   
I don't actually own a PS2 but I've had quite a bit of experience with PS2's. I own a Nintendo Gamecube which has proven quite realiable. The primary problem with PS2's is that they are prone to problems. These include freezing, errors, DVD refusal, saving problems. Some occasionally overheat. Luckily my GC has never given me a single problem. The main reason for the PS2's problems is that it has to play two different kinds of discs. The game CD's and DVD's. I doubt there is a kill chip in the PS2. Most game systems are bound to have errors within three years time. I yearn for the days of the durable and realiable N64.

top topics

join