It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sean Penn, Peace Advocate, has car and 2 handguns stolen

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2003 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Now, as most of you know, I am rather progun ownership. My answer to "Why do you want to own a gun?" is "Why dont you own one?"

However, I detect a bit of hypocrisy in this story, that someone who doesnt want the US military to defend the nations freedom, or that of others is content to make sure he can defend his own freedom.

I notice that he was granted a concealed handgun license in the state of California. I would like a California native with some experience to please post exactly how difficult it is to get such a permit.

Sean Penn�s Downtown Lunch Marred by Car, Gun Theft

Send us a letter to comment on this article.

By NATE TABAK
Daily Cal Staff Writer
Wednesday, April 9, 2003

Actor Sean Penn's car was stolen as he lunched at a Downtown Berkeley restaurant yesterday afternoon, police said.

The car, a black 1987 Buick Grand National, was taken in broad daylight between 1 and 2:45 p.m. while it was parked on the 2300 block of Shattuck Avenue, said Berkeley police Officer Mary Kusmiss.

"It was quite bold," Kusmiss said.

Penn, 42, told police he had a loaded 9 mm Glock handgun inside his car in addition to an unloaded .38-caliber Smith & Wesson revolver in the trunk.

It was legal for Penn to have the guns in his car because he has a state concealed weapons permit, Kusmiss said.

An officer remembered seeing the car heading south on Shattuck from Derby Street about 2:35 p.m before Penn reported the theft, Kusmiss said.

Penn was eating lunch at Venus restaurant with his assistant when the theft occurred.

The actor was "very mellow" in the aftermath of the crime, Kusmiss said.

Penn declined to comment about the incident.

"I'm not talking. I'm just having a cigarette," Penn told The Daily Californian.

About 70 percent of cars stolen in Berkeley are eventually found.

Kusmiss said Penn's car may turn up sooner than others because it is a distinctive model that is "highly visible."

Penn, who lives in Marin County, is a three-time Academy Award nominee for Best Actor.

His car has a California license plate of 2GRS995.

Anybody with information about this case can contact the Berkeley Police Department at 981-5900.

Nate Tabak covers crime. E-mail him at [email protected].

new topics

join