It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

##Members Please Read##: Ending the Political Trolling

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost375

Personal attacks, both subtle and overt. Snarky commentary. Euphemisisms used in a derogatory fashion. Anything designed to instigate conflict, rather than discussion. These are going to stop. Fair warning.

So does this apply to personal attacks on Obama? Because I read some terrible stuff said about him, that aren't backed up by any facts.
I suppose my question applies to other candidates as well.

And what about factual statements that are said in a derogatory manner.
Such as:
"Michelle Bachman is a warmongering, torture supporting, bible thumping, brunette"
edit on 22-11-2011 by Ghost375 because: (no reason given)

Can a moderator please answer my questions?

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by seagull

Would be awesome...but, hmmmmm...I dunno. I asked for moderation here: CA DREAM ACT because of non sensesical remarks and got no help.

If you all can stop it, then please do...I support the idea. I am a non conforming, no political party part-taker if you will and I for one don't appreciate the uneccesary bias that goes on around these parts lately.

if it works!

I stand for these words:

Not Afraid
Beautiful

Thank you Seagull, the effort is very much appreciated...SnF

edit on 11/22/11 by ThePublicEnemyNo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by seagull

What about using a candidate's name and turning it into a derogatory term? Such as is seen with Obama and the dozens of variations on his name.... I view those who do that as childish, but it seems a popular method when trashing POTUS. And, it can and will certainly be employed on other candidates too.
edit on 22-11-2011 by Jason88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Hope this rolls across the entire site. I don't post often but I do read quite a bit on here daily. The recent past has been quite difficult to wade through as the post discussions are at times not worth reading after page 2. I love this site, been around for a few years, just hate to see a few people make it look bad.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by seagull

May many blessings come your way.
The individuals who have genuine and educational information to share shy away from ATS because of the many sassy know-it-alls who linger here to ridicule others.
Thank you for putting your foot down.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   
This is just a freeforall for staffers to censor their opposing views.
OWS supporter on staff? Guess where that one is gong to be active.
Ron Paul supporter on Staff, again stamp out that opposition.
It will be denied up and down, but the fact remains that "teabaggers" has always been an acceptable term around here but come up with an acronym for OWS and it won't make it past the first offended supporter who reports it.

Personal attacks are a different animal, not a part of my above observation.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by seagull

Would this be an example of political trolling? I just read it in a new thread:

"Obamerica - where kids are taught treason in the schools their taxes pay for."

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by seagull

I am glad to hear it and certainly hope it will change! wish you guys the best of luck!

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Jason88

Personally, I think a name modification can speak volumes in few letters.

However, I understand it's essentially now seen as against the T&C. And, I've rarely engaged in it hereon that much anyway.

It is quite sufficient to be basically factual . . . " . . . the Marxist, Kenyan, Imposter, . . . " for example.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by ILikeStars

Seems to me . . . except for the name alteration . . . it's just stating basic verifiable facts.

The name alteration stuff has already been decreed to be off limits on its own.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by TinfoilTP
OWS supporter on staff? Guess where that one is gong to be active.
Ron Paul supporter on Staff, again stamp out that opposition.
It will be denied up and down, but the fact remains that "teabaggers" has always been an acceptable term around here but come up with an acronym for OWS and it won't make it past the first offended supporter who reports it.

Personal attacks are a different animal, not a part of my above observation.

Sadly, I must agree that such has occurred far overmuch on ATS.

I don't know how to solve it with a volunteer moderating staff of such intense and widely differeing perspectives.

Screening and monitoring the mods quite wisely and seriously might help.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
You want to stop political trolling, your best bet is to get rid of the poliyical forum alltogether. It would be the best thing to happen to ATS in a long time. Theres plenty of other websites to debate polotics on the net. I don't think ATS needs to stoop to that level, lets just stick with the conspiricies.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   
OH OH, and just for the record, and in preparation for the onslaught of whatever is going to happen, can we puhlease refer to female candidates as people instead of body parts and other demeaning sexual connotations? i mean it's hard to take anyone serious while displaying her with a huge hotdog sticking out of her mouth or in a star spangled bikini.
edit on 22-11-2011 by undo because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jason88
reply to post by seagull

What about using a candidate's name and turning it into a derogatory term? Such as is seen with Obama and the dozens of variations on his name.... I view those who do that as childish, but it seems a popular method when trashing POTUS. And, it can and will certainly be employed on other candidates too.
edit on 22-11-2011 by Jason88 because: (no reason given)

Have to give it to you.....
for speaking up. My sentiments are the same......

Where does "The Buck Stop" and "How Far" are We Willing to go

Great Post

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by lokdog

See I disagree. I like one place to build a solid profile, the political forums bring our "crazy" conspiracy theories/histories into the fold. I'd rather be an outlier in the political discussion on a UFO site because I think a lot of these issues run deep into the whole problem, and ATS serves the bigger picture.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by lokdog
You want to stop political trolling, your best bet is to get rid of the poliyical forum alltogether. It would be the best thing to happen to ATS in a long time. Theres plenty of other websites to debate polotics on the net. I don't think ATS needs to stoop to that level, lets just stick with the conspiricies.

While I certainly understand your post...it would undermine ATS as a whole and everything ATS stands for if they were to take out this forum. That my friend IMO, is an infringement upon our rights to voice our opinions. Now, with that being said, it's not about who we condone or would vote for, or support...but rather, the language we choose to use while supporting or disagreeing.

I do not think ATS is being biased in anyway in their attempt to make this point...but simply put, making it fair for all of us to voice our opinion "openly, yet within a fair environment, based on our individual languages". If you so disagree, then I'm sure you agree that you have no opinion one way or another...correct? If you disagree with this concern and feel you should be allowed to disrespect whomever and whenever you feel, instead of having an intelligent open minded discussion (not saying that's your opinion)...then, I guess that leads to a complete biased discussion with no respect nor concerns for the feelings and rights of other members.

IMO, I think ATS is trying to put an end to this abuse of vocabulary. I can see how some of us feel that freedom of speech is "all encompassing", but ask yourself this, "If it were you being scrutinized day to day, would you think it okay for someone to spread lies....perhaps... and rumors about you"? I think not.

Fair is fair, no matter how you weigh it nor which side you choose.

ETA:
BTW, you have already gone against the thought of "Deny Ignorance", by making statements such as "let's just stick with the conspiracies". Maybe you should "Stick to those other websites, that suits your needs", that you mentioned in your post or gain a greater understanding for the ATS community "as a whole" and not just what you want it to be.

edit on 11/22/11 by ThePublicEnemyNo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by TinfoilTP

I disagree, it's pretty obvious when someone is trolling or being rude. It's easy to pick out the trolls by watching the flow of discussion.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Odd to see you say that considering we have had many debates without stooping to attacking each other despite being very opposite sides of the topics.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join