It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Mysterious Connection Between Sirius and Human History

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Since ancient times and across multiple civilizations, Sirius, the dog star, has been surrounded with a mysterious lore. Esoteric teachings of all ages have invariably attributed to Sirius a special status and the star’s importance in occult symbolism is an attestation of that fact. What makes Sirius so special? Is it simply due to the fact that it is the brightest star in the sky? Or is it also because humanity has an ancient, mysterious connection with it? This article looks at the importance of Sirius throughout History and secret societies and will describe the symbolism surrounding it.

Sirius is located in the constellation Canis Major – also known as the Big Dog – and is therefore known as the “dog star”. It is over twenty times brighter than our sun and is twice as massive. At night time, Sirius is the brightest star in the sky and its blue-white glare never failed to amaze star gazers since the dawn of time. No wonder Sirius has been revered by practically all civilizations. But is there more to Sirius than meets the eye?

Artifacts of ancient civilizations have revealed that Sirius was of a great importance in astronomy, mythology and occultism. Mystery schools consider it to be “sun behind the sun” and, therefore, the true source of our sun’s potency. If our sun’s warmth keeps the physical world alive, Sirius is considered to keep the spiritual world alive. It is the “real light” shining in the East, the spiritual light, where as the sun illuminates the physical world, which is considered to be a grand illusion.

Associating Sirius with the divine and even considering it as the home of humanity’s “great teachers” is not only embedded in the mythology of a few primitive civilizations: It is a widespread belief that has survived (and even intensified) to this day. We will look at the importance of Sirius in ancient times, analyze its prominence in secret societies and we will examine these esoteric concepts as they are translated in popular culture.

The Egyptian calendar system was based on the heliacal rising of Sirius that occurred just before the annual flooding of the Nile during summer. The star’s celestial movement was also observed and revered by ancient Greeks, Sumerians, Babylonians and countless other civilizations. The star was therefore considered sacred and its apparition in the sky was accompanied with feasts and celebrations. The dog star heralded the coming of the hot and dry days of July and August, hence the popular term “the dog days of summer”.

Several occult researchers have claimed that the Great Pyramid of Giza was built in perfect alignment with the stars, especially Sirius. The light from these stars were said to be used in ceremonies of Egyptian Mysteries.

You know what's interesting? America's official date of founding is July 4. Sirius conjuncts the Sun on July 4 every year. If you look at the symbolism of American money, it's a bit heavy in Egyptian symbology. Why is that? What's going on here? (that's my own observation)

A fascinating aspect of Sirius is the consistency of the symbolism and meanings attached to it. Several great civilizations have indeed associated Sirius with a dog-like figure and viewed the star as either the source or the destination of a mysterious force.

In Chinese and Japanese astronomy, Sirius is known as the “star of the celestial wolf”. Several aboriginal tribes of North America referred to the star in canine terms: the Seri and Tohono O’odham tribes of the southwest describe the Sirius as a “dog that follows mountain sheep”, while the Blackfoot call it “Dog-face”. The Cherokee paired Sirius with Antares as a dog-star guardian of the “Path of Souls”. The Wolf (Skidi) tribe of Nebraska knew it as the “Wolf Star”, while other branches of knew it as the “Coyote Star”. Further north, the Alaskan Inuit of the Bering Strait called it “Moon Dog”

The below book is excellent! A must-read!

In 1971, the American author Robert Temple published a controversial book entitled The Sirius Mystery where he claimed that the Dogons (an ancient African tribe from Mali) knew details about Sirius that would be impossible to be know without the use of telescopes. According to him, the Dogon understood the binary nature of Sirius, which is, in fact, composed of two stars named Sirius A and Sirius B. This lead Robert Temple to believe that the Dogons had “direct” connections with beings from Sirius. While some might say “you can’t be Sirius” (sorry), a great number of secret societies (who have historically held within their ranks some of the world’s most influential people) and belief systems teach about a mystic connection between Sirius and humanity.

To claim that Sirius is “important” to Hermetic Orders would be a gross understatement. The dog star is nothing less than the central focus of the teachings and symbolism of secret societies. The ultimate proof of this fact: many secret societies are actually named after the star

Read all about it here

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Didn't you hear, the Dog Days are over!

(This actually also refers to Sirius, in summer that's when we were or are believed to be aligned with the Dog Star)

www.youtube.com...

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by mrsparkles669

It's freezing here. Yes, the dog days are over!
Interesting video. Thanks for sharing!

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by RainbeauBleu

Are U... SIRIUS-~-~-(b)... for real about this...

U are one... Rascally Wabit... tO-B... Or Not...tO-B ... Siriusly true or not...

Let's get to the bottom of this... Quantum-Bang~Hole... with Mr N.Tesla...
knowing more about eXtraterrestrials... being SIRIUS---(a) kind of -ULTRA/CONTACT~O-b~1...
to his original source codes of... HIS baseline of... Concepts & Ideas... (Of Reality
)

edit on 22-11-2011 by CosmicWaterGate because: Everyone always forgets about Or-iOn... sometimes t
... but "I" know... Love... will shine through...

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 05:01 AM
link   
I believe there is a post somewhere about the Washington Monument pointing at Sirius on July 4 each year... But I'm getting old too... I might have just made it up.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by emsed1
I believe there is a post somewhere about the Washington Monument pointing at Sirius on July 4 each year... But I'm getting old too... I might have just made it up.

You're right! It does align with Sirius!

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Since early civilizations had no qualms about believing in things that had no empirical scientific evidence, they were free to create mythologies that spoke to our consciousness, not our logic.

Since even modern science has no explanation FOR consciousness, perhaps this is the missing piece.

Being that the 'Dog Star' is pretty common in those societies, it makes me wonder, where did these stories originate?

Could there be some fact in the midst of the myth?

Isn't there always?

Interesting thread, OP, and something that needs much more attention if we are to ever get to the truth of our existence.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by jimnuggits

The Dogon people of Africa have a long and interesting fascination with Sirius. They are worth looking into with regard to aliens, etc.

Does anyone remember if one of the pyramid chambers aligned with Sirius at some point?

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   
I think the answer to the question is probably given in the first paragraph. "What makes Sirius so special? Is it simply due to the fact that it is the brightest star in the sky?" Yeah, most likely.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
hm, i can't really see a connection with our species and Sirius. This link was interesting about what we already know about the system:

Sirius2

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by emsed1

Queen's chamber of the Great Pyramid.

www.viewzone.com...

S&F to the OP.

edit on 24-11-2011 by maya27 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by maya27

Thank you for the great link. I wonder if science will confirm the existence of Sirius C. The Dogon claimed it was a trinary star system before science had even postulated that it could possibly be a binary star system.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Another interesting thing to consider is the U.S. and their 'official' founding date. Most historians who have done their own research into the dates of documents (at the Library of Congress looking at the originals) agree that July 4, 1776 is not the real founding date of the United States.

That makes it even more intriguing that the date selected was July 4th. Why this date? Does it have anything to do with Sirius being conjunct the Sun every year on that date? We have Egyptian symbols on our dollar bills. It's curious.
edit on 30/11/11 by RainbeauBleu because:

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Yes, I find the Sirius connection to be very interesting.

I definitely think we are linked spiritually.

Nice Thread op. S&F

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   

There is certainly far too many connections with buildings and monuments and money. It was obviously done on purpose. Invocations.

new topics

top topics

join