It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Egypt Justifies Its Brutal Crackdown: Occupy Wall Street

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Link to article

and Link linking the original link link.

Two people were killed in Cairo and Alexandria this weekend as Egyptian activists took the streets to protest the military's attempts to maintain its grip on power. And guess how the state is justifying its deadly crackdown."We saw the firm stance the US took against OWS people & the German govt against green protesters to secure the state," an Egyptian state television anchor said yesterday

This appears to be a translation of an Egyptian television news report, and is using the "Iran Daily" (Iran's english language publication... obviously destined for foreign readers!) as support but, nonetheless, brings up a long existent and extremely relevant point.

The moral high-horse stance that nations take in harshly judging others for doing the exact same thing as them.

However, information technology and instant access to independent feeds worldwide have placed a spotlight on this type of "do as I say, not as I do" attitude.

That said, the Egyptians use U.S.A's reaction to the occupy movements and Germany's handling of green rallies as examples, are they forgetting the way Bahrain and Saudi Arabia have been handling their "Arab spring" protesters?

These are perhaps the best examples being followed by states wishing to maintain their status quo.

After all, where Tunisia and Egypt moved toward a tone of compromise, Bahrain and Saudi Arabia have maintained their hardline stance of brutal violence against any and all forms of protests... and it has proven to be successful!

Hmmm... I wonder if the fact that oil contracts with these nations are already secured could explain why no western nation expresses outrage over this brutality against citizens?

Or maybe its just because it has become the reactionary model of choice for us as well. Let's face it... it works!

the Billmeister

new topics

join