It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New meme for meme?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 04:34 AM
link   
I couldn't figure out where this post should be put, mods please put it in another forum if need be!
It pertains to cultural and linguistic fads, I guess.
I no longer live in the US, and sometimes find sayings or words that either I am not familiar with at all come up, or ones I am familiar with, but being used in a way that is different. I often want to ask what they mean, used in that context, and but don't want to go off topic.

Lately I have seen the word "meme" used often. I am familiar with the "meme" meme
But have been seeing it used lately in ways that don't fit with the earlier interpretation and wonder what the evolution of that meaning is changing to in the current common usage. Like I have seen people likened to memes? Where of course, a person is not a meme- a meme is not a material or physical thing. But this must have a cultural reference I am not up on.

I know sometimes words start to evolve, often because of cultural references (a celebrity makes a joke about it and that gets referenced to, adding to the meaning).....well, in fact the meme evolves as it is reproduced.....

But could someone explain to me what the current meaning is, of refering to a person as a meme?
Thanks in advance!

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 05:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Bluesma

Here is two pretty good definitions i think

A unit of cultural information, such as a cultural practice or idea, that is transmitted verbally or by repeated action from one mind to another.

(Psychology) an idea or element of social behaviour passed on through generations in a culture, esp by imitation

TheFreeDictionary

A good example of this is the hitler parody meme on youtube. Some would view it in poor taste but it makes me laugh.

Hope this helps somewhat.
edit on 22/11/11 by Chr0nicNZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 05:27 AM
link   
Here is Dr Susan blackmore explaining memetics. The word meme is often misused and misunderstood by the internet generation, this presentation will clear up any confusion for you.

new topics

join