It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Please eat more slowly': NHS introduces £1,500 talking plate which warns about eating habits.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 04:09 AM
link   
'Please eat more slowly.Not this.To much today.Stop eating'...Is this the future?A plate to tell how much,what and when to eat?

TextDoctors have a new weapon in the battle to beat obesity – a talking plate that tells people not to bolt their food. The Mandometer monitors the amount of food leaving the plate and tells users who gobble: ‘Please eat more slowly.’ Now the £1,500 Swedish device is to be used in an NHS initiative to help hundreds of obese families lose weight. Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

TextIt comes in two parts – a scale placed under the plate and a small computer screen showing a graphic of the food that gradually disappears as the user eats. A red line on the screen shows the user’s speed of eating, while a blue line shows a healthy rate. If the user guzzles, the red line angles away from the blue one, warning them to ease off. If the lines deviate too much, the computer voice tells them to slow down. The screen also flashes up messages asking: ‘Are you feeling full yet?’ to remind users to think whether they have had enough. Britain has an increasingly serious obesity problem, with one in four adults and one in seven children classed as obese. But having run a trial scheme, experts believe teaching obese people to eat more slowly will help them know when they are full. Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...
source( www.dailymail.co.uk...

Is this the EatMetter?

source(www.dailymail.co.uk... s.html

edit on 22-11-2011 by diamondsmith because: Title

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 04:15 AM
link   
reply to post by diamondsmith

What, they can't just look at the plate and see that the food is dissappearing??

These guys have far too much time/money to waste IMO,

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 04:18 AM
link   

"I don't need a plate to tell me not to eat my hat" -nun

S&F OP

edit on 22-11-2011 by ILikeStars because: habit, get it? ha ha funny stuff.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 04:25 AM
link   
reply to post by ILikeStars

What if is made of rice

TextNatural Rice Field Straw Hat Hats express things about their wearers. They stand out and frame the face, the most expressive part of the body. Light-weight and fresh, our straw farmer’s hat will shield from the sun, light rain or windy days. Woven natural straw. Keep hat in place with a chin strap. One size fits most. Approximately 18.0" diameter.
source(www.asianideas.com...

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 04:27 AM
link   
fat people have NOT listened to:

1.friends
2.family
3.doctors
4.trainers
5.dieticians
6.hecklers
7.common sense
8.government
9.their conscience
10.the buckling of furniture

what makes these idiots think a "talking dish" will be any different?

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 04:31 AM
link   
NHS Head Honchos: "Let's cut money to all our departments and lay a load of staff off, but lets introduce an incredibly over priced quite simply stupid device that isn't going to work"

edit on 22-11-2011 by skitzspiricy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 04:48 AM
link   
This smacks of being both a brilliant idea whilst at the same time being a complete waste of time! People forget that the speed they eat at can lead to all sorts of health complications in later life (as well as the amounts they eat).
On the other hand, it is far too much more nanny state - i am sick to death of being told what, when and where to do.....

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 05:19 AM
link   
Food-dependency is unlikey to respond to a talking plate. It seems that research suggests that food-dependency as with other dependencies is a brain disease associated with frontal lobe MRI scan changes.

Interestingly once patients with food-dependency have lost a substantial amount of weight after weight-reducing surgery they tell their doctors that they were giving incorrect information about how many calories they were ingesting prior to the operation i.e. they regain insight or reality.

As with other types of dependency, food-dependency results in the person lying to themselves i.e. they become deluded - probably related to changes in the frontal lobes on the MRI scan.
www.associatedcontent.com...

Talking plate= waste of money. I wonder which politician has his fingers in the pie?

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 06:18 AM
link   
why is there an assumption that larger people eat more quickly? i've never known that to be the case, my bigger friends very often eat slower than everyone else, they say they enjoy it more! so this useless rubbish pointless invention is a monumental waste of time.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 06:26 AM
link   
Reply to post by wingsfan

Well said. I could still use one of those though. Or either a talking belt. "WHOA, slow down tubby"

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 06:33 AM
link   
Right let me get this straight. The NHS is facing cuts left, right and center to essential services, yet they still have the funds to develop crap like this? When will people wake up to how corrupt and rotten this country is and do something about it? I guess never.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 06:39 AM
link   
I'm sorry, did you say a talking plate?

I know people who used to drop acid; and they didn't even hear plates talking to them!

"I hear plates.
They talk all the time."

If you try to skip a meal, will it remind you with an eery voice from the cabinet?

What happens when you rinse it off?
"Freak! Freak! Stop touching me!"

When it's drying in the dishwasher?
"OMG, I'm burning up! Your hurting me."

If your really ugly?
"Could you please eat with a bag over your head?"

When you make to much noise while eating?
"SHUT UP!!!!"

Remember the talking Nissan Maxima from the 1980?
"Your door is a jar."
Who needs that headache?

Remember the check stands at the grocery stores in the 1980s?
"$0.79
$1.24
$0.99
Your total is
$127.19"
Could you please turn the volume down? NOW!

I don't even like to listen to my GPS.
"Turn left in 200 yards.
Turn left in 100 yards.
Turn left in...
Turn left now!
recalculating"
I passed the turn on purpose just to make it mad.

Seriously, the nagging mother in law isn't enough so much so that we need A TALKING PLATE?!?!
"When are you going to paint the living room like my daughter asked you to do?"
Look here witch, I work all day. When is your daughter going to turn off the soap operas and rinse some dishes for a change?

A talking plate?
Who ever invented this doesn't have a talking mother in law.
And needs one.

On a serious note, some guy is going to buy this for his over weight wife as a Christmas present.
That dude is going to be dead before New Years.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 06:40 AM
link   
I would think, they would spend the money they have used for this useless equipment on something else more important such as save other nurses jobs which are being lost.

Typical of some idiots in the NHS.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 06:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Genfinity

I wonder what we will do when our panties will speak to us

I hear them say,'uh not again that smell'

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Oh geez

Maybe they should invent panties which will shout, Nurse Nurse I need to go again. Since there is hardly any nurses around nowadays and elderly patients are left to soil themselves.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Laurauk
I would think, they would spend the money they have used for this useless equipment on something else more important such as save other nurses jobs which are being lost.

Typical of some idiots in the NHS.
Maybe if first 100 plates for free advertising who knows...I wonder who will take it even for free!

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 07:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Laurauk

Oh geez

Maybe they should invent panties which will shout, Nurse Nurse I need to go again. Since there is hardly any nurses around nowadays and elderly patients are left to soil themselves.
Oh my God poor panties,sorry I mean poor nurses,no not that,poor old people....this world a crazy theater scene!

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 07:06 AM
link   
[color=dodgerblue]Do we really need our plate to instruct us on how to eat?

It's common knowledge that your body doesn't tell your brain that you are full until about 20 minutes after you start eating. At that time the hormone Leptin is released and causes the feeling of satiety.

I always put my fork down in between bites and chew my food thoroughly. This way I can be sure that I am not over eating. I don't need my plate to talk to me in order to do that.
edit on 22-11-2011 by daryllyn because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 07:10 AM
link   
reply to post by daryllyn

Yes but first a plate then a chip,,,We will became androids with a very long hope of life let's say 50 years....and the chip still work another 50 years,so don't worry...buy a plate and you will get a surveillance chip for free!

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   

lol the only way this will work is if the fork/spoon/knife are connected to the plate with wires
and gives the user a good electrical jolt when it's instructions are disregarded.

this kind of "stupidity" always happens when the manufacturer
of stupid gizmo is connected to somebody high up in the agency.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join