It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Not gonna get my kids Immunised but should I do it for my Pets?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 01:46 AM
link   
Hey yall,

I had made a decision long ago that I wasnt going to get my kids immunised, to me it just seems wrong.
I actually told my mother this and she said she didnt want to get me and my sister done either but when your a parent guilt and uncertainty creeps in and you end up getting it done coz you would feel horrible if something happened.

My FuBu is taking her Cats to the Vet tomorrow and asked if I wanted to bring mine along to get their jabs,
When I first got them I mentioned they needed jabs but the only reason I was going to was in case I ever want to take them back to OZ with me its required. Ive since come to the conclusion that its unlikely I will go back home in the near future so put the kitty jabs on the back burner.

I explained to FuBu that my Cats are indoor cats and unlikely to catch anything so wasnt going to worry but she has just said they get shots for things like cancer and leukemia and now Im starting to feel guilty.
The price is a non issue as its really cheap here but Id hate to think that by doing it I was hurting them but now Im thinking will I be potentially killing them if I dont do it?

Anyone else had this dilemma or am I just being a big pussy?

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 01:59 AM
link   
I have had cats all my life, and know many who love animals more than people.
In my experience, I have noticed a trend. Those who take their pets to the vet often, and get all the "recommended" jabs for their pets, seem to have serious pet health issues soon after.

I have only given ONE rabies vaccine to 2 of my cats, mandatory by state law after I took them in because of injury or paranoia, but I never went back to them because they want annual jabs, $$$. My cats live to 18 to 24. Those paranoid vet lovers, average 3 to 8 year life spans, full rounds of annual jabs kind of people.
edit on 22-11-2011 by JibbyJedi because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 02:33 AM
link   
reply to post by IkNOwSTuff

I'm not sure I understand why some people would not immunize their children against some things if an available option. I think it is fear of the unknown, to tell you the truth. As a military serviceman I had many more immunization shots than most people I know, to include 17 anthrax immunization shots between 1998 and 2009.

I'd pleed with you to be as informed about it as you can be prior to making the choice.

Small pox immunization could be a good thing. Small pox could be a lethal thing for a young adult.

As for pets, take care of them, too. Ask questions, be informed. I'm not an expert, so feel free to disregard my advice if you think it is best.

Have a great week,
ILikeStars

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 02:56 AM
link   
don't do it unless you absolutely have to.

my dogs are super healthy, everyone thinks they are still pups of 3 or 4, when in reality they are both over 10. they did have some jabs at the pound i suppose, but none in the past 9 years i've had them.

it's all about the money.

pets managed to live long healthy lives for thousands of years without vaccines .... so why start now!

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 03:01 AM
link   
Don't you think of your pets as part of the family? You know, like children?

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 03:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by BadBoYeed
***snip***
pets managed to live long healthy lives for thousands of years without vaccines .... so why start now!

Last cat we had was living by this credo.

Then he got sick and wasted away from "Felin panleukopeni".

I guess that this "pets managed to live long healthy...." is nothing but an urban legend - or even a lie told so often that some people believe them.

I was very distraught that I put my pet through this from sheer ignorance and trusting the wrong people.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 03:12 AM
link   

It strikes me as weird that you would consider protecting your pets but not your children.

Some of these illnesses you potentially protect your kids against could make them infertile or even kill them.

But of course - it is a valid point that we need a good epidemic to wipe out some of the surplus population.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 03:37 AM
link   
I do believe that most of the veterinary vaccinations are bloated, unnecessary and money-making operations.

I only believe in the initial jabs and subsequent first booster for a new kitten. But all the remainder is an absolute waste of money - especially if your cat is an indoor kitty and has limited / no exposure to other felines.

Also, my one little female (an otherwise healthy and brimming-with-life darling) took her most recent jab very badly - she got very ill. This was probably the greatest determining factor for me.

BTW - I know a reputable and well-known cat breeder, and she concurs with my take. She actually specifies in her contracts that no vaccinations take place after the first year. She is a responsible person and is very friendly with many vets, and has done ample research on the subject. I have no reason to doubt her opinion on the matter.
edit on 22/11/2011 by shimmeringsilver73 because: Because my grammar sucks today

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 03:51 AM
link   
Seriously?

Look, I'm all for being cautious and educated. As parent you definitely have to protect your kids and be their fiercest advocate, but it is the height if irresponsibility to forego their immunizations, most of which have been around for years and have been proven safe and effective. Same goes for your pets.

I was very diligent about my child's vaccines. None at all until he was three months, never more than one at a time, all thimerosol free and no Hep B whatoever until I could help it. By the time he started school, he was up to date.

As for pets, not having them vaccinated is a liability. You don't live on a deserted island.

If you want to take advantage of societies perks, you have to do your part and be responsible.

It's the year 2011 for cripes sake. Take advantage of it and be thankful you don't live a hundred years ago. Sometimes I feel this world is spinning backwards.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 04:03 AM
link   
Having always vaccinated my pets in the past, I decided to forego vaccinations with my most recent dogs.
For some added information to your research, search "vaccinosis."

I also decided against chemical deworming, and instead use food grade diatomaceous earth.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 04:06 AM
link   

Not only should you get your pets immunized you should get your children immunized as well-the risks to everyone from unimmunized children is tremendous-you dont want those diseases to come back-Measles causes blindness, Mumps sterility, German Measles can cause deafness; Diptheria causes a membrane in the throat and you choke to death slowly; pertussis kills -I dont agree however with multiple immunizations at once my cousins daughter in preperation for kindergarden had 6 different vaccines in one visit -that would concern me-there's no credible link between the MMR vaccine and Autistic Spectrum Disorder and as long as the child is healthy and not recovering from illness there's no reason not to-as far as your pets have you ever seen Cujo?

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 04:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by HolgerTheDane
***snip***
But of course - it is a valid point that we need a good epidemic to wipe out some of the surplus population.

Allow me to elaborate:

Wouldn't it be somewhat mindbogling if the people dying from the new pandemics are the children of the people who didn't trust their government to not want a pandemic?

edit on 22.11.2011 by HolgerTheDane because: surplus words...

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 04:32 AM
link   
Eh I changed my post. I thought you were talking about getting new/seasonal shots for your pets. If you are talking about the shots most everyone gets for cats when they are born (temperament, rabies, etc) then go ahead and get them. They aren't your kids so it's not as much of a gamble (i know that sounds rough, but really, it's different).
edit on 22-11-2011 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 04:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by JibbyJedi
I have had cats all my life, and know many who love animals more than people.
In my experience, I have noticed a trend. Those who take their pets to the vet often, and get all the "recommended" jabs for their pets, seem to have serious pet health issues soon after.

You're right about that. I've always had cats and barely ever been to the vet with them, apart from neutering. One caught flu and got a jab that made him better but that's about it. My oldest cat lived for 18 years, same with my rescue dog. She was 17+ when she died but hardly ever went to the vet.

Then there's a friend of mine who has her cats to the vet every few weeks for this jab or that. I asked her one day if she ever wondered that they might be feeling constantly sick or under the weather with all those chemicals being pumped in all the time and I think she toned down the visits a bit after that.

My daughter hasn't been immunised either, and has never been ill, especially as a baby. Compared to both sons who both had all their injections and were sick or fluey or had a tummy bug nearly all the time it seems, looking back.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 05:22 AM
link   
Seriously though, do for your children in which that you do for your pets. If you want your children to go to public schools they have to be up to date on their shots. I worked for a vet. I ran the IDEXX blood machine. Always get a cat vaccinated. FELV, RV3, and Feline distemper. For a dog DHLLP, RV3. If your dog is outside a lot get an LV. If you have more than one dog or you kennel them make them all get BR. Vaccines for animals are expensive because of the vet mark up. Remind your vet that you know that each one of those vaccines costed them a dollar and GRACEFULLY ask for a discount.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 05:24 AM
link   
Both humans and animals are being injected with disease, it's a money making scheme, do not get anyone vaccinated ever, human or animal!

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 05:34 AM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

True True

my father had 2 Bull mastiffs a ways back, 1 was a show dog and the other while being a pure bred had an ingrown hair in her eye so didnt get papers.

The show dog was given all the reccommended jabs and shots (for breeding purposes) and later developed a heap of issues that the other one didnt. That always made me wonder.

thanks for the advice dude

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 05:37 AM
link   
reply to post by ILikeStars

Just so people know, I dont have kids and cant see myself having them for some time (accidents aside).
At this stage I dont think I will get them done as from the stuff Ive heard it seems like the risks with doing it are worse than not.

When the time comes and I do have kids I will look into it more and like my Mum said, everything changes when ur a parent.

Cheers

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 05:38 AM
link   
reply to post by survivalstation

I do which is why I thought I would get as many opinions as I could before getting the shots done.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 05:42 AM
link   
reply to post by HolgerTheDane

Im not sure I understand,

Are you saying a shot could have saved your kitty?
The general consensus here and elsewhere on the interwebs is that the shots are not necessary and can even be harmful.

From the research I did prior to the OP it seems even Vets have gone from wanting to do shots every year to every 3 years or so

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join