It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There is a God

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 02:35 AM
link   
Yeah, there's a god for sure. But it sure as hell isn't the Christian God. However, Jesus was a great prophet.

The OP put it really well. kudos.

edit on 22-11-2011 by Ghost375 because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-11-2011 by Ghost375 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 02:51 AM
link   

For all of you out there that have chosen to ignore God and have chosen a path of self-indulgence...I warn you, there is a God and He is watching you. I say this because there have been a few very clear moments in my life that gave me undeniable proof that something or someone was listening and responding to me.

Why does the choice have to be believing in a god or self indulgence, can not humans do both? Can you not self indulge and believe in a god?

I don't have all the answers, nor do I pretend to, but I know that there is a Creator. We can debate His nature, and we can debate our origins and how He has brought us about. However, it is pure human arrogance to proclaim that our 'advanced intelligence' and 'scientific advances' have replaced 'silly, archaic myths and superstitions' concerning our Creator. I belive that you can't truly find Him, until you question what you've been told to believe and find the answers for yourself. But, that means you must make an effort...meet him in the middle.

archaic myths like the bible that has been re written by the victor hundreds of times?

From what I understand the christian god does not like to "be met in the middle".

Our souls are immortal and a precious gift given to us by God. This life is nothing more than a test to decide whether or not we are individually ready to ascend to the next level of enlightenment.

Yet totally unproven...

Religion is the great weapon of the Devil, who twists it to divide and conquer humanity. We must not allow the differences concerning religion turn us away from spirituality. We have been given the innate sense of right and wrong and are born knowing what we should and shouldn't do. We are measured by our hearts and actions, not whether or not we believe any Bible word for word.

No religion is the tool of government entities who desired to control the populous before they could read, I find it amazing it still works.

Much have been molested concerning the history of man, however, one thing remains the same...our divinity. You see, this miracle of our existence didn't happen by chance, and pretending that science provides the only level-headed intelligent answers is a huge mistake. Science is merely attempting to understand God's mechanisms. Don't forget, science is in its infancy, and theories are being established and disproved in a constant motion.

You talk about god a lot but have no evidence to back it up beside the already written dogma of preexisting religion. If there was a god don't you think he would have poked his little head out and said "hello" by now?

There is much we have forgotten, much that has been lost. The answers aren't easy, and those who have occupied positions of power have kept us in a haze.

Right because those "In Power" haven't forgotten....

Why would they remember and not the remaining millions of people?

Its not a black and white issue, and its not cut and dry. There is many things we are really capable of understanding. But, having all the answers isn't what it is all about. Its about making an effort to feel and to find.

I think we understand much, but people refuse to think we are alone in the universe so they make up and cling to the impossible deities.

It makes it easy to bame our failings on some devil or god...not so easy to accept the blame on ourselves...

Seek the truth...

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 03:03 AM
link   
I posted my story to share my belief, not to be ridiculed. If some of you find me offensive then so be it. My God loves you either way, and so do I.
edit on 22-11-2011 by subcsailor because: .

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 03:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by subcsailor
I posted my story to share my belief, not to be ridiculed. If some of you find me offensive then so be it. My God loves you either way, and so do I. And when the day comes that you put a gun to my families head and pull the trigger because of their belief, I will look you in the eyes and tell you God loves you just before you kill me too. You see, that story has already been written....just not played out as of yet.

No offence shipmate but you posted your opinions on a website the breeds discussion and debate. In fact that is the mechanism that drives this site, much like the life support systems on board you last boat.

If you wanted to post your ideas or opinions on a site that does not debate you should have posted it on a all christian website.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 03:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by mileysubet

No offence shipmate but you posted your opinions on a website the breeds discussion and debate. In fact that is the mechanism that drives this site, much like the life support systems on board you last boat.

If you wanted to post your ideas or opinions on a site that does not debate you should have posted it on a all christian website.

Morning buddy. I see what you are saying. But felt compelled to share my experience to an unbelieving crowd.

What good is a light if you keep it hidden.

But it did up the O2 bleed didn't it. Another 20 minutes and I expect to here "Reveille, reveille. Up all bunks" followed very shortly by the blessed...."Commence field day"
edit on 22-11-2011 by subcsailor because: .

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 03:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by mileysubet

I posted my story to share my belief, not to be ridiculed. If some of you find me offensive then so be it. My God loves you either way, and so do I. And when the day comes that you put a gun to my families head and pull the trigger because of their belief, I will look you in the eyes and tell you God loves you just before you kill me too. You see, that story has already been written....just not played out as of yet.

Morning buddy. I see what you are saying. But felt compelled to share my experience to an unbelieving crowd.

What good is a light if you keep it hidden.

But it did up the O2 bleed didn't it. Another 20 minutes and I expect to here "Reveille, reveille. Up all bunks" followed very shortly by the blessed...."Commence field day"

/Off topic
The only time I liked to sit COW is when I got to announce "Commence Field Day" ..otherwise it was pretty boring to be honest.
/On Topic

But to get back to the reality of the forums, threatening death to people is frowned upon..

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 03:37 AM
link   

edit on 22-11-2011 by Tindalos2013 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 03:42 AM
link   
reply to post by subcsailor

I am happy for you & pleased that your son survived, but you DID take him to a Doctor/Hospital rather than a church in the first place, Why was that? Also if you really feel that YOUR God cured him surely you have to accept that he could have prevented him falling ill in the first place.This is still not proof & is still SUBJECTIVE!

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 03:48 AM
link   

praise the LORD

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 03:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by bismarket

I am happy for you & pleased that your son survived, but you DID take him to a Doctor/Hospital rather than a church in the first place, Why was that? Also if you really feel that YOUR God cured him surely you have to accept that he could have prevented him falling ill in the first place.This is still not proof & is still SUBJECTIVE!

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it. And I understand your point. Only shared something personnal about myself to explain what proof was presented to me. I excepted it as such. It is very subjective. Which is probably where faith comes into play I suppose.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 03:54 AM
link   
I find it funny that you say "there is a god", when all i can see here is wishful thinking.
Looks like you just shaped your idea of god to what you want him or it to be.
Intresting thought though, but I dont buy it.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 04:07 AM
link   

Thanx.You are obviously intelligent, so i hope you accept this as a genuine question. I promise i am not Trolling, but how did you get to believe in god in the first place? Also, are you in a Sub' right now, if that's a silly question i'm sorry but don't know much about that stuff, i would think that serving on a submarine has it's exiting parts, no?

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 04:30 AM
link   
reply to post by lambs to lions

So its those who disbelieve and doubt who are arrogant, not those who claim to KNOW that a God exists without providing a lick of evidence, got it

Yes, it's we who think science, logic and evidence should be the standard of what is accepted as true who are the arrogant ones. Science may be in its infancy but the tool set of the scientific method: skepticism, doubt, evidence, observation, etc are all very very old. Disbelief, atheism and agnosticism, are not new things, in fact if you look back through history it is typically the deities that do the changing, not the doubts about said deities. From the vengeful storm God of the Old Testament to the nebulous new age Christian "personal relationship with Jesus" version of God. From the angry sometimes evil Gods of the Greek pantheon to the distant and naturalistic deity of Deists in the enlightenment.

Religion continually changes and must adapt to survive, however it isn't driven by evidence or logic but by indoctrination and emotional manipulation. Science shifts and changes only because it is getting better information, clearer data and a better picture of reality. How much closer to the true face of any God have we gotten in the countless millenia of religion?

You can go on believing in your God, that is your choice and it doesn't bother me, what bothers me is the arrogance to declare that you KNOW there's a creator and then call we who doubt the arrogant ones.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 04:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by bismarket

Thanx.You are obviously intelligent, so i hope you accept this as a genuine question. I promise i am not Trolling, but how did you get to believe in god in the first place? Also, are you in a Sub' right now, if that's a silly question i'm sorry but don't know much about that stuff, i would think that serving on a submarine has it's exiting parts, no?

I'd love to share my story. But I am sure it is different for everyone. I was raised in a Christian church. I grew up learning bible stories. Then as I got older these stories were presented as moral lessons. Then when I was around 13 I felt as though I was missing the kingdom of God. You see I started not only hearing but listening to the teachings of the bible. And what I discovered is that God loved me. He sent Jesus to die on the cross for my sins. And I had not acknowledged and committed my life to Jesus Christ. My feelings were lonely, I felt hollow and far removed from where I thought God wanted me to be. And it was a pretty sinking depressing feeling. When I realized all I need to do was exept Jessus as my Savior I was hooked. And the moment I knelt and prayed my sinners prayer those feeling were gone. It is really not something you can discribe very well. It is more than a feeling. It is a deep knowing in the very depths of ones soul. Well at least that is how it is for me. And of course there is so much more since that time that this website couldn't even hold.

And no I am not on a sub right now. I retired in 2005. The last time I was at sea we didn't have internet like this. But we did have email. Well...the radiomen would hold the emails in a cue, and then when we came to periscope depth to catch radio traffic we would send and receive a batch of emails. That beats to old days where our families were given 6 sheets of paper that they could write 40 words on. Then those messages, we called the "Family Grams" would be sent to the sub and pasted out to the sailors. Talk about no privacy!!!

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 04:33 AM
link   
to all you who masturbate to science at night cause you read other data that you dont understand (and before you say you do. explain to me what this picture is telling you. after you realize you (personally) dont know what your talking about. id say try rely on more notable scientists that really paved the way of man.

If the bible is wrong, so are these guys?

Firmly denying atheism, Einstein expressed a belief in "Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the harmony of what exists." This actually motivated his interest in science, as he once remarked to a young physicist: "I want to know how God created this world, I am not interested in this or that phenomenon, in the spectrum of this or that element. I want to know His thoughts, the rest are details." Einstein's famous epithet on the "uncertainty principle" was "God does not play dice" - and to him this was a real statement about a God in whom he believed. A famous saying of his was "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

glad i saw this on msnbc too so i could tape it

“He causes all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hand or on their foreheads, and that no one may buy or sell except one who has the mark or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.” Revelation 13:16-17

2 Peter 3:1-18:

3 First of all, you must understand that in the last days scoffers will come, scoffing and following their own evil desires.
4 They will say, "Where is this 'coming' he promised? Ever since our fathers died, everything goes on as it has since the beginning of creation."
5 But they deliberately forget that long ago by God's word the heavens existed and the earth was formed out of water and by water.
6 By these waters also the world of that time was deluged and destroyed.
7 By the same word the present heavens and earth are reserved for fire, being kept for the day of judgment and destruction of ungodly men.
8 But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day.
9 The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.
10 But the day of the Lord will come like a thief. The heavens will disappear with a roar; the elements will be destroyed by fire, and the earth and everything in it will be laid bare.
11 Since everything will be destroyed in this way, what kind of people ought you to be? You ought to live holy and godly lives
12 as you look forward to the day of God and speed its coming. That day will bring about the destruction of the heavens by fire, and the elements will melt in the heat.
13 But in keeping with his promise we are looking forward to a new heaven and a new earth, the home of righteousness.
14 So then, dear friends, since you are looking forward to this, make every effort to be found spotless, blameless and at peace with him.

Matthew 24:3-15
And as he sat upon the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?
And Jesus answered and said unto them, Take heed that no man deceive you.
For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many.
And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet.
For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places.
All these are the beginning of sorrows.
Then shall they deliver you up to be afflicted, and shall kill you: and ye shall be hated of all nations for my name's sake.
And then shall many be offended, and shall betray one another, and shall hate one another.
And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many.
And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold

mow it over. i know u wont read the bible unless its pushed open right in front of you

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 04:51 AM
link   

Thanx for your story, nice to have a civilised conversation with a Christian, i know some of us Atheists can be a bit strident but most of us i am sure keep an open mind. Be well!

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 04:54 AM
link   
reply to post by RebelRouser

These are just words from "some old book", which for me have no more relevance than words from some other "Old Book" Koran/BhagavGita etc, Proves NOTHING & means NOTHING at least to me.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 04:58 AM
link   

While i respect your beliefs, i do not respect the way that you "warn" me of my beliefs, or lack there of.

This kind of attitude is exactly what caused me to look else where for the history of human kind, which eventually lead me to becoming an Athiest.

How can you say without a doubt that there is a single creator, when prior to the writing of the bible most of man believed in multiple gods?

How can you claim to have "proof" that you can not quantify, or share with us here?

If all things must come from a creator, then who created god?

However, it is pure human arrogance to proclaim that our 'advanced intelligence' and 'scientific advances' have replaced 'silly, archaic myths and superstitions' concerning our Creator.

For the longest time i jokingly told people there was a sock troll in my house stealing socks. Then one day my drier almost caught on fire. Apparently small items like socks were getting trapped inside my drier, which started smoldering from the heat.
Was it arrogance to claim it was a troll stealing my socks, or arrogance to find out the truth of the matter?

While i do not normally go here out of respect, i will because of the blatant dis-respect in this thread.

a "God" is nothing more than a invisible friend to be used as a crutch by the weak. Religion is nothing more than an excuse for apathy. "Why should i work to learn about this, god has a plan for me"

True enlightenment comes from the understanding that the more you learn, the more there is to learn. Science is concrete logic and reason. There is no faith, there is only facts and data. Sure science may be wrong sometimes, perhaps even a lot of the time, but it is constantly evolving, changing, searching, striving for anything new.
I believe that everything is quantifiable. Even things we have an idea about, but haven't been able to quantify as of yet. To me a "soul" or life force is nothing but a quantifiable form of energy. We have a pretty good idea that dark matter exists, but have, as of yet, not been able to quantify it. This doesn't mean that it's not possible, it just means that is hasn't been done yet.
Take this a bit further. Say we did quantify a soul, could we then seek out and quantify higher life forms? Would every life form higher than humans be considered a god? I say no, because they are nothing more than forms of energy, that we can learn from and study, just to open doors in to areas of study that were previously unknown to us.

Every thing in the universe, everything in the 4th, 5th, 6th, and all other dimensions, and everything is all the places we don't even know about yet is quantifiable. With the proper technology and the desire to learn, nothing is unknowable.

Believing in a single life form, the end all be all of what there is, is short sighted. Some day, maybe billions of years from now, we, as humans, will understand more than any god, or gods could ever provide.

DC

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 05:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by lambs to lions
For all of you out there that have chosen to ignore God and have chosen a path of self-indulgence...I warn you,

Then you follow this with a self-indulgent rant?

What's that saying about people in glass houses?

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 05:52 AM
link   

Aside from the obvious question of why this is in the O&C forum instead of CiR or RF&T...

For all of you out there that have chosen to ignore God

How can I ignore something that I lack a belief in the existence of? I'd have to be ignoring Santa, the Trix rabbit, and Buzz Lightyear as well.

and have chosen a path of self-indulgence...

I see no difference in the magnitude or frequency of self-indulgence displayed by theists and atheists.

I warn you, there is a God and He is watching you.

If there is a God, I'd prefer him to respect my privacy.

I say this because there have been a few very clear moments in my life that gave me undeniable proof that something or someone was listening and responding to me.

"Undeniable" is a funny word when it's thrown around in the context of theology. To paraphrase Inigo Montoya, I do not think that word means what you think it means.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join