It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

At what point do you leave?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   
I had a chat at work (Iam an NA in a mental health unit) about what we would do if SHTF and I was working and looking after patients at the time.
I asked what would we do with all the patients if we had no power/no fuel/food running out and outside everything is going pear shaped.
All of my work pals said as soon as SHTF they would leave the patients and goto their family's. But I think I would have to stay at least for a while and try and get help for them.
Now my patients are really mentally ill and without the right medication every day they would get violent and very delusional (which wouldn't help due to the situation).
So my question is do I stay or do I go? If I left they would die (locked unit) and if I let them out the odd's are they would kill someone outside.
Iam in a moral pickle about this so what would you do?
Cheers BM xxx

PS If anyone else works in a place where they have to look after people what point do you say ok Iam leaving?
edit on 21-11-2011 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

good question, seems like you'd have alot of grey areas to think about. as for releasing the the patients, i think your damned if you do and damned if you dont.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   

We already know the character of your friends. If it gets to that point, then and probablly only then you will realize what your true character/self is within you.

Honestly I don't know. If everyone else leaves, one person can not take care of everyone. To leave them to die will be too cruel. Yet, to let them out would cause more havoc and deaths than what is already happening. If you were the only one left, and one of the patients did something to you, who would be there to help you? Tough decision.

It is ethics and morals vs real life.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   

I would say let them out.

If you let them out, they are 'free' to be able to make they're own choice; meaning they are responsible for they're actions and decide for themselves(on a morale level, I am aware they are severely mentally ill). But they are free to choose. Give em they're meds, open the door, and run!

If you leave them locked up, then YOU are taking away they're chance at survival. The burden would then fall on you.
You cant control whether or not they kill somebody else, but you can control if YOU kill them or not.

My 2c worth

ThatGuy45

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Family and friends first.

Then everyone else including job.

It would be a sucky situation but I will have to say, bug out with family, let the cloud clear, get backup and go back for or check on them.................you can always go back(maybe, deoending on the situation.

If you are alone,,,,,,,,,,, as mentioned, what would happen to your family if something happened to you?

You do not have to be "super savior" to be a good person...........

LJ01 is not trying to be rude or an a$%. I just think people need to see things "for real" .........

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Having worked in a mental health facility as well, I guess the first thing I would attempt to do is to make sure there are time-released antipsychotics that I could have them take or be injected with, while there was still enough staff to accomplish the task.

There is no way I would stay because I would most likely be the only one, and once the patients get wind that there is only one of the staff left, things would disintegrate in a big hurry. As you know, the majority of patients do not like to take their meds, due to the untoward side effects, and their complaints are legitimate.

I would sit them all down and explain that The Sh1t just hit the fan, and you are leaving in order to be with your family. I would see that they had at least a 30 day's supply of their meds and encourage them to take them. Let them know you care about them, but things have changed and you gotta go.

Then leave all the doors unlocked, instructing them to help themselves to whatever is in the kitchen, and then I would bail and get the hell out of there as fast as I could.

If you stayed, how long would it be before your supplies of medications, food, clean laundry or sanitary care of the facility was gone? It's a no-brainer, really. It is called survival.

And honestly, there is nothing wrong with that.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   
This should be an easy one. They are going to die anyway no matter what you do.

First rule of the Infantry:

Cover Your Own Ass First

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Hhhmmm thanks for your answers, I don't have any family to speak off so I guess I would have to stay because I have no reason to leave and all my work mates do so I guess I let them leave and try and look after my patients....grrrrrr

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   
As soon as i cant find alcohol i leave

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   
I did have an idea of taking them with me and if any leave my care well thats their fault I guess, I get on with my patients and most come to me first when they are troubled so maybe I would create a rag tag group of mentally ill people trying to survive

That would make a great film lol.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Make a whole bunch of shirts that say, "I may be dangerous if I haven't had my meds." Put them on the patients before you let them out. Sure, some might take them off, but, if that is all they have, chances are they will wear them.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   
I too work in a hospital and think about this every single day. The problem is that if you abandon your patients you can be brought up on charges so you would really have to be sure the s%&t really hit the fan if you plan to leave. I worry about all the nonambulatory patients who wouldnt survive a week........its a heavy burden to think of such things because your there to help......

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Id have to agree with most people.... you gotta do what you gotta do to survive, give them a fair chance at survival, you cannot be responsible for more then yourself in this world... also if you are the only one they will prob kill you...

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Let the ones out who you think won't be violent, then leave.
Chances are they will let out the others, but it won't be your fault.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   
If you leave them unlocked take all the shoes in the place and lock them up, destroy them, or take them with you.

Many of these people have not walked barefoot outdoors for years and it would take weeks to harden there feet just to be able to walk the streets for any distance.

Many without shoes will find it less painful to stay on the grounds of the hospital.
In cold weather they may never leave the buildings.

It may seem cruel to some but in the long run its for there own safety.

I know when i transported mental patents to the state mental hospital in ambulances we always took there shoes.
this way if they saw a chance and bolted and tried to run we could catch them easily.
edit on 21-11-2011 by ANNED because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Cut the losses and leave them.
They are already damaged beyond the point of saving if it is a locked down situation.
There would still be time to save the things that matter, healthy loving, living folk.
If they cannot function on their own, they will become a drain on someones resources, resources that may matter.
For me it is a black and white issue, similar to throwing good money after bad.
Live and let die.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   
I think you would need to vacate a place when it was no longer safe to be there.

As for abandoning your patients, surely that decision would be made by someone else? If something happened that caused our civilization to turn into absolute chaos, I don't see a choice other than letting them go, so they could struggle for survival like the rest of us.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Thought about this exact scenario many times, since I worked in a prison. Many guys I dealt with were either in the Mentally Retarded Offended Program (MROP), or in a Psychiatric ward or assigned to a Psych Unit. Most of these fellas were not the type you wanted to be around if they were not medicated, much less released into the free world. Couldn't leave and unlock all the doors on my way out.

Guess I would have to start methodically granting pardons, in the absence of any other authorities, based on sentence, crime, previous crimes, and prison records. Trustees and minimum security offenders first to go, then the rest on a case by case basis. After that, unload the armory and start doing the humane thing. I would never leave someone locked in an 8x10 cell with no food or medication. Then I could leave and deal with my maker after my family is safe.

Talked and thought about it, but seeing it in front of me makes me sick. But this is what I was taught to do in such a situation. Just don't like the thought of it. Thank God I retired.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   
take their shoes? are you that mean? I think most people who are in prison/asylum are on pills because it makes them docile/easier to deal with. i say let them go, keep a taser on you or a weapon. same with prisoners. let them freeken go man. whats wrong with you people its an easy decision. (in my mind heheheh_) i guess what i'm saying is i'm a big boy i can handle myself. i don't know about you though.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Speak with your director. There is a plan in place for that.

Its also going to depend on if everyone has gone and what the disaster is. Because some may still be living after a couple of weeks if there is water available.

These are not complete humans. And just like the dog owner or farmer who accepts the responsibility for their charges you must also. You are responsible to do the kindest and most humane thing you can for the charges in your care. You agreed to take care of them freely. You now see there is a string attached. You have to accept responsibility for not allowing them to suffer or eventually degrade to the point they are surviving off of each other.

If you have a problem with giving them what little dignity they can have and preventing needless suffering, then your in the wrong field. They didnt ask to be that way, and they are trusting ones who know better to help them.

Again, speak with your director. Know what your supposed to do. Because the first rats off the ship will be management.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join