It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The 5 Basic Laws of Human Stupidity

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Howdy peeps,

A friend of mine pointed this out to me:

www.cantrip.org...

That says there are Five Basic Laws of Human Stupidity:

1. Always and inevitably everyone underestimates the number of stupid individuals in circulation.
2. The probability that a certain person will be stupid is independent of any other characteristic of that person.
3. A stupid person is a person who causes losses to another person or to a group of persons while himself deriving no gain and even possibly incurring losses.
4. Non-stupid people always underestimate the damaging power of stupid individuals. In particular non-stupid people constantly forget that at all times and places and under any circumstances to deal and/or associate with stupid people always turns out to be a costly mistake.
5. A stupid person is the most dangerous type of person.

As all the laws show, stupidity and ignorance go hand-in-hand with one another and Einstein said:

"There are two things Infinite; the Universe and Human Stupidity, but I'm not sure about the first one."

Since Stupidity is Infinite, as Einstein so eloquently stated, then there are Infinite degrees of Stupidity, especially on ATS.

Post your favorite Stupid Quote and let's discuss Human Stupidity.

Ribbit

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by ButtUglyToad

Ribbit

This has got to be the most stupid thread I have ever seen on ATS!

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   

As all the laws show, stupidity and ignorance go hand-in-hand with one another....

As all the laws show????

Three questions:

What are the specific number of laws you are taking into account?

What do all the laws say word for word?

What do all the laws mean when held in context with eachother simultaneously?

* I am ignorant of all the laws, their number, what they all are, and what they all mean when held in context with eachother simultaneously. Maybe this makes me stupid. Maybe this makes the people enabling law makers to make new laws stupid ... or ignorant... but maybe I'm too stupid to know the specifics.

Thanks & have a good week,
ILikeStars
edit on 21-11-2011 by ILikeStars because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by ButtUglyToad

A few of my friends and I feel it is an 80 -20 ratio. 20%ers as we refer, are the ones that will get ran over and killed while walking their dog one Sunday morning whiling stopping to tie their shoe cuz the 80%er didn't put their car in park.
Apologies for a semi long winded rant.
edit on 21-11-2011 by BlastedCaddy because: someone moved my Y key then moved it back...

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   

when truth is absolute free intelligence then stupidity cannot exist

but the word stupid exist so it is a concept of smthg opposed to truth

then stupidity is simply that insistance to mean existing without being true, as if u could become more positive by profiting from what truth gives while profiting too from urself freedom out of it
stupid is then the concept to who think can b smarter then truth

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by supine

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Ignorance is not the same as stupidity. If one is stupid, they yes, they can remain ignorant, but we all start out that way.
But, I agree with the rest. A very good analysis, in my view, of the problems of the world in a nutshell.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   
think about how smart the average person is, then remind yourself than 50% of the world is dumber than them.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by lacrimosa

intelligence is not what u think that is why u misjudge what is stupid

i guess the world will b surprised of dumbest intelligence

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by absolutely

exactly.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by supine

Ribbit

Tanks!

Ribbit

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Those really aren't laws but chracteristics of stupidity.
Actually, there is only one law of stupidity. It is this: "There is no cure for stupidity."
Put a slightly different way, we can turn to Forrest Gump for his moma's version of the law:
"Stupid is as stupid does."

You know, you can over intellectualize the definition of stupidity.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by ILikeStars

As all the laws show, stupidity and ignorance go hand-in-hand with one another....

As all the laws show????

Three questions:

What are the specific number of laws you are taking into account?

What do all the laws say word for word?

What do all the laws mean when held in context with eachother simultaneously?

* I am ignorant of all the laws, their number, what they all are, and what they all mean when held in context with eachother simultaneously. Maybe this makes me stupid. Maybe this makes the people enabling law makers to make new laws stupid ... or ignorant... but maybe I'm too stupid to know the specifics.

Thanks & have a good week,
ILikeStars

Read the Title:

"The 5 Basic Laws of Human Stupidity"

Then read the FIVE Laws I posted and realize I was referring to said FIVE Laws, which were discussed at length in the posted article.

Ribbit

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlastedCaddy

A few of my friends and I feel it is an 80 -20 ratio. 20%ers as we refer, are the ones that will get ran over and killed while walking their dog one Sunday morning whiling stopping to tie their shoe cuz the 80%er didn't put their car in park.
Apologies for a semi long winded rant.
edit on 21-11-2011 by BlastedCaddy because: someone moved my Y key then moved it back...

I think you exaggerated the 20%.

Ribbit

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aliensun

Those really aren't laws but chracteristics of stupidity.
Actually, there is only one law of stupidity. It is this: "There is no cure for stupidity."
Put a slightly different way, we can turn to Forrest Gump for his moma's version of the law:
"Stupid is as stupid does."

You know, you can over intellectualize the definition of stupidity.

There is a cure for Stupidity. The problem is, only Stupid can fix Stupid, which is a Paradox.

"kNot even God can win the fight against Stupidity when Stupid is judging the Contest." - Old Toad Proverb

Ribbit

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by lacrimosa

Originally posted by absolutely

exactly.

I think you should raise the bar from 50%.

Ribbit

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   
I think that the variable of 'stupidity' is not measurable, as it is almost always subjective. I believe that I see it here on ATS as well as in the real world all the time -- the judgement of stupidity as measured against a person or group's own beliefs. Stupidity = that which we don't hold dear.

That said, sometimes events happen which astound us at the apparent lack of intelligence that caused it. My view? But for the grace of [insert diety] goes me.

I think the antithesis of stupidity is the underrated ability to teach. To teach --- ANYTHING! If you can reduce a set of principles to a common denominator that others can understand and absorb, you are a teacher. If you are a teacher, you have transgressed the variable of 'stupid'.

p.s. I don't need 'laws' contrived by someone else who held themselves to be superior; I have my own laws, and those rules don't include calling anyone stupid. There is a man who lives on this island who many have called stupid. People who characterize him as such talk about lofty concepts and ideals that clearly don't concern him. I have to wonder, sometimes, what real benefit their intellectual discussions serve them. This man is the Ultimate Angler. Within the world of fishing, he is a genius. He can spot feeding birds when no one else can, and he knows the angling variables that will always -- for him -- bring in the fish. Within HIS world (and mine) he has the skillset and knowledge to provide for himself and his family. He can't discuss theoretical physics with me, nor would he care. In his world, I am stupid.

It's a subjective measure....... and who really has the right? Not me.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Perhaps we're talking about Infinite Intelligence too. And since there are infinite gradients of intelligence, degrees of awareness, in the spectrum of consciousness; some of them, you may label "stupidity".

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by argentus

For the sake of exercise, in a small minded way, I am going to say your post is stupid.
So, how does that reflect on me?
Would you then think that I was stupid for thinking your post was stupid? Or, would you set out to convince me that I simply did not understand?
Would it require a democratic vote to determine who was stupider?
How smart is a democracy?
Damn that frog.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
favorite stupid quote " never attribute human malice to that which can be explained by stupidity"

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join