It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Favorite war movies !!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Yep, I think OldCorp has got it covered & I couldn't agree more his picks.

Just wanted to put another vote in for Hamburger Hill. It really moved me & the music by Phillip Glass is awesomesauce.

Good job on a great thread idea!

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   
OldCorp's pick i agree was a good one! Hamburger Hill was a very moveing movie that i enjoyed alot..Im glad you liked my thread and thank you for posting..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 02:05 AM
link   
The best war movie iv'e seen is a Russian film called "idi i smotri", translated it means
" come and see ". Watch it in Russian (or with subs) if you can, the english translation fell victim to poor localization.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by thatonedude

Interesting i will have to find the movie to watch the book looks good..Thanks for posting..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
71:Into the Fire - (full movie on youtube, click CC button for subs)

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Anybody here seen the Cross of Iron... good and pretty accurate view of war on the eastern front from the German perspective... and directed by Sam Peckinpah... violent, brutal, gritty. A good portrayal of the Wermacht in retreat.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by wigit

Thanks for the post and video ..I saw this movie and its a good one ..If anyone has the time they should watch this movie..Peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by AlreadyGone

I havent seen the movie Cross of Iron but i will be sure to look into it..thanks and peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
I'm sure most of these have probably already been mentioned, but here are some of my personal all-time favorites:

Crusades:
- Kingdom of Heaven (Awe inspiring medieval battle scenes)

Civil War Era:
- Glory
- Dances With Wolves
- Cold Mountain

Foreign Wars:
- The Last Samurai
- Gallipoli (One of Mel Gibson's first films)

World War 1:
- Legends of the Fall (an all around good movie. Plus Brad Pitt loses his mind and scalps some krauts)

World War 2:
- Enemy at the Gates
- Empire of the Sun
- Pearl Harbor
- PT-109
- Memphis Belle
- Windtalkers
- Flags of our Fathers (I have a special connection to this one. I was on Iwo Jima while they were filming)
- Saving Private Ryan

Vietnam:
- The Boys in Company C
- The Deer Hunter
- Apocalypse Now
- Full Metal Jacket
- Platoon
- Bat 21
- Flight of the Intruder

Cold War Era:
- Rambo: First Blood (does that count?)
- Red Dawn (Wolverines!!!)
- Top Gun (all homo-eroticism aside, it's still a good movie)
- The 9th Company (It's a Russian war film about the 1980's occupation of afghanistan)

Post Cold War Era:
- Bravo Two Zero (British special forces receiving an epic fail during the first gulf war)
- Blackhawk Down
- Sniper

Modern Era:
- Blood Diamond
- Lord of War
- Rambo 4
- Tears of the Sun
- Behind Enemy Lines
- The Expendables
- The Hurt Locker
- Taking Chance (not actually a war movie, but good)

Future Wars:
- Battle: Los Angeles
- Starship Troopers

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   
I don't know if it's my favorite war movie, but I just watched "Battle For Haditha" last night and it is very, very good...

November 19th 2005, Haditha, Iraq Enraged by the loss of their commander to an insurgent's bomb, a convoy of U.S. Marines brutally massacres 24 Iraqi men, women and children - tragic casualties of a war they cannot control.

www.amazon.com...=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1322348745&sr=1-1

Interesting note: I guess alot of the dialogue was "ad-libbed", as well as having Iraqi citizens and ex-military personnel in many of the roles as opposed to "professional" actors.......
I would definitely recommend this film........

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by sugarcookie1

If you want, take a look here - img401.imageshack.us...
img42.imageshack.us... This a list of MOST of the war films in my collection.As you can see i'm a fan! If theres any you want to see but can't find let me know & i'll either point you in the right direction or do an up' myself & send you a link.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by bismarket

Can you find A Little Pond, aka Bridge at Nogunri? I can't seem to find an english subbed copy.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by allenidaho

That is a great list of movies! thank you for posting them..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Skippy1138

I havent seen this war movie so i will add it to my list it looks good ..thank you,peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by bismarket

Thank you bismarket..wow you are a war movie fan for sure..can you point me to a down load for The Lost Battalion ..thank you sugarcookie1

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   
David Leans... Bridge On The River Kwai-1957...Filmed entirely on location,has "no rear screen projection" and the famous train wreck scene uses a real train,not CGI... won 7 academy awards...

David Leans...Lawrence Of Arabia-1962...Easily one of the 10 greatest movies ever made,stunning on location visuals,has "no rear screen projection",is steven Spielbergs favorite movie and won 7- Academy awards...

Nobody made epic films like David Lean...
edit on 27-11-2011 by blocula because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by blocula

I agree Bridge On The River Kwai was a great movie it was epic i have it in my war list..thank you for posting ..sugarcookie1

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Did you know that Steve McQueen was offered the lead role in Apocalypse Now? he was the first choice and Al Pacino was the 2nd choice and they both turned it down because they didnt want to be away on location for so long...Hmmmm,What would McQueen or Pacino instead of Martin Sheen in that movie have been like?...I would have liked either of them a lot and it probably would have been one of,if not the last movie McQueen ever made...

Everyone thinks of Martin Sheen in the lead role,because he was,so much so that its a little hard imagining anyone else in the film...

Steve McQueen,born in 1930 would have been around 48yrs old in the movie...

Al Pacino and Martin Sheen were both born in 1940...so they would have been the same age in the movie...
edit on 27-11-2011 by blocula because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by blocula

I didn't know Steve McQueen was offered the lead role in Apocalypse Now i had no idea thanks for that info.. Pacino would have been great in that role also..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 02:52 AM
link   
Last night I watched brand new Korean war movie The Front Line. If you don't mind subtitled movies then this is a must watch.

Near the end of the Korean war, the North and South are arguing over ownership of a certain hill to be included onto the territory of the faction that wins. While the leaders sit and argue around a table smoking cigars over a map, the N and S's soldiers are at the hill fighting and killing each other for the next 3 years, waiting for their ceasefire.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join