It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Im NOT a VET- So, am I screwed?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Due to the signing of obamas new jobs bill, giving tax breaks to companies that hire VETS, does that mean if a NON VET applies they will not be chosen over a vet? YES! Im pretty sure that it violates some sort of law to sign a bill to entice someone to hire one over another. Thats like saying if you hire a black over a white, you would get a tax break! GOD this country is really failing us people, did we get a chance to vote on this bill? Hell no! We have got to take this country back ASAP!!!!!

edit on 21-11-2011 by AllUrChips because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by AllUrChips

Here at the University, where I work.
If a VET is applying for a job. He MUST get an intervju..

I know.. it's wicked..

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by tomten

Here at the University, where I work.
If a VET is applying for a job. He MUST get an intervju..

I know.. it's wicked..

You have NO IDEA how mad I am!!!!!! I know plenty of people out of work, good people, not lazy, just the victim of a system that is breaking down like an old Ford Taurus. Now this is a slap in the face to non-vets. Im done....Im just done...

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   

old ford taurus haha. its funny cause i own one. and yes they are terrible

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Just for once Vets gets a break, and it's unconstitutional, unfair and downright indecent....you guys should quit feeling sorry for yourselves...let it be.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by conspiracytheoristIAM

Just ONCE!? They get plenty of breaks im sorry. They get huge discounts on everything from meals, entertainment, to CHEAP loans on houses! WTH do you mean? Besides, Im not feeling sorry for myself! Im employed by a government agency! I feel for ALL those who this would affect, im human, sorry. Oh yeah, also a free college education, thats a good perk as well. Shouldnt that be enough of an advantage for one over another?

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Veterans do not get the big breaks you think they do.

I recall leaving the military in 1984. When I got out, I could not find work. I applied for unemployment. The unemployment office said I did not qualify after putting in 18 years in military service. They did say, however, that if I had worked for McDonalds for 6 months that I would have qualified for unemployment benefits. Result: veteran screwed.

Next, I found that most veteran jobs are in odd fields. For example, if you are a bomb loader on an aircraft carrier, there are not many bomb loader jobs out there.

Third, veterans have no experience in the real world. They do not do resumes, for example. Therefore, you can be sure that you have more practice in applying for a job.

Most veterans are just happy to serve you, their fellow citizen. They did not ask for breaks. However, you, the citizen of a grateful nation, hopefully have some respect for one of your peers who wrote the government and you a blank check. If, in the fortunate case that the check was not cashed, don't you think the right thing to do is render some assistance?

I do. And, apparently your fellow Americans do.

If you think this policy is overdone, please strap on an M16, a 50 lb pack, and march 10 miles through Death Valley in the summer. Might want to take a look at some old war movies, too.

We're in this fight for you. If you don't want the fight, vote differently. For now, your collective voting is putting veterans at risk. That risk is rewarded with low pay, difficult conditions, and risk of life.

You must be kidding me that veterans do not need some help when they get out.

If you speak English, own property, and have the freedom to move about, thank a veteran.

I suspect that this is a trolling thread, because I cannot believe someone would think veterans have such a good deal. You take another look at the veteran loan program. It has higher interest rates than conventional loans.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
I think that vets DO in fact get a lot of goodies, but then again look at the job they have to do. They work tons of hours of overtime without pay and put their lives in danger to protect all of us. AND not to mention there is only a small percentage of Americans who are actually vets.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   

I'm a veteran and I disagree with this new program. This is no different than affirmative action, which is also an unfair policy. I would applaud a business owner for hiring a veteran because the level of discipline and work ethic of veterans is proven. However, the federal government should not give incentives for doing so. Discrimination is discrimination no matter who is affected. 

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Lets put it in numbers. There are about 3 million TOTAL out of work. 850,000 are vets. And they will be offered an advantage. Let me tell you that I too put my life on the line at work, often. Yet I do not think I shoul be given advantage over another. They chose to go to the millitary too. And they are just as able to do other jobs in life other than being a bomb loader. No excuse there.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Jim Scott

Did you not take advantage of the g.i. bill. You know, a FREE college education?
Oh yeah and all these benefits as well:www.veteransadvantage.com...

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag

I'm a veteran and I disagree with this new program. This is no different than affirmative action, which is also an unfair policy. I would applaud a business owner for hiring a veteran because the level of discipline and work ethic of veterans is proven. However, the federal government should not give incentives for doing so. Discrimination is discrimination no matter who is affected. 

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!! Not only for your service but as well as you response. You obviously have more leg to stand on when it comes to this situation. THAT is exactly what I was trying to say. Discrimination is discrimination, PERIOD!!!!!! Thank you again for you service, wish I could flag you sir

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by AllUrChips
reply to post by Jim Scott

Did you not take advantage of the g.i. bill. You know, a FREE college education?

I can't speak for Jim but I took advantage of the GI bill and completed my bachelors degree. I also used a VA loan for my first mortgage. All of the programs and any other perks are hard earned. I didn't spend 8 years in the Marines playing beach volley ball. I busted my as$. I earned those things! They damn sure weren't "free". There is nothing unfair about veterans benefits. Everybody has the opportunity to make the same deal I made.....go visit a recruiter!

The difference in this case is that the government has no business picking winners and losers. They also don't need to incentivize or discourage private businesses from hiring who they want to hire. It's none of their damn business. 

Besides, I bet 9 times out of 10 a business would hire a veteran first anyway if all else was equal. We already have an advantage.  

edit on 21-11-2011 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   

edit on 21-11-2011 by conspiracytheoristIAM because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   

You might not know this but vets are usually always chosen first above a nonvet. Its always been a silent fact.

I am a vet and worked my behind off...doing things civilians have no real comprehension of. Joining the service is worth it just to have the benefits. Its no party walk for sure.....
edit on 21-11-2011 by Starwise because: (no reason given)

I also do not agree with this. Yes it is discrimination, or is it a secret ploy to recruit new soldiers for an upcoming war?
edit on 21-11-2011 by Starwise because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Vets have stood up to protect our way of life and the american system. Many people believe that they should get some preferential benefit from society. I for one would rather give a job to a fellow vet just based on the fact he or she is probably not likely to be a coward.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Breaks ? For vets ? Surely you jest...
When got out after 4 tours in vietnam got spit on.. companies wouldnt hire if they knew you were a vet - especially not if you were a combat vet.. education you say - the attitude on campuses to vets was even worse..

Went abroad to get my education .. Returned to the states for awhile in the 70s .. By 80 was so disgusted with everything there left and wont return.. Made a life for myself and helped those that need it over the years since..

I dont agree with the illegal / immoral wars.. But from what see vets today still get treated the same way as when I got out..

Biggest lesson - dont rely on anyone roll up your sleeves and work for what you want instead of sitting around whinging .. Nobody owes you a thing in this world life is what you make of it.
Worked for everything Ive got and want nothing from anyone.

new topics

top topics

join