It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cops' jobs themselves

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Are cops privileged to act thugs? In my opinion certain police procedures themselves are questionablely crooked. Do you agree or disagree? And if certain laws are just crooked, then why do the people who are behind a badge still enforce them? Why have the cold heart of a thug?

edit on 21-11-2011 by WarJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by WarJohn

There are good and bad people in all walks of life....

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by WarJohn

Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely. I'm sure you've heard the one before. Couple that with people who want authority over others like cops do and there you go.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by WarJohn
Are cops privileged to act thugs?

Nope. Hundreds if not thousands of them get fired every year for abusing power. A department I interact with recently fired three officers for taking an interview to far. They used threats of violence and injury. They never touched the guy, but they were fired. Another department fired a guy for repeatedly stopping the same person without reason. He was using his position to get retribution. So, he was fired.

In my opinion certain police procedures themselves are questionablely crooked.

Name one or two. Being vauge is no way to get a discussion going.

Do you agree or disagree?

That certain procedures are crooked? Not really. I think some ways confidential informant information is used is questionable. I also believe that a person should not have their license taken simply for refusing a blood alcohol test.

Actually I do believe that civil forfiture before a trial is wrong and unethical. A person's property should not be taken until guilt is established. Hold it for evidence, then if they are found guilty confiscate the property.

And if certain laws are just crooked, then why do the people who are behind a badge still enforce them? Why have the cold heart of a thug?

A lot of officer's ignore laws they believe are petty or too heavy handed. It is called officer discretion and it saves a lot of people a lot of headache. You don't hear about a cop that dumped a kids marijuana stash in the drain instead of hitting him with a felony. The officer would lose his job. You don't hear about the millions of times a year officers chose not to enforce a law. There is no report filed and no news crew picks it up for the 5 o'clock news.

There are hundreds of thousands of police encounters every year. The ones that actually turn bad make up less than 1% of cases. The media doesn't like to broadcast the good ones. They don't sell and they don't play to the public perception. The truth is that most cops are hard working family men. They actually chose to get up everyday and lay their life on the line to keep people safe and maintain a sense of order that allows people to carry on in a productive fashion.

Despite what ATS posters would have you believe cops in general are not jack booted criminal masterminds out to squash the constitution and murder your dog. They are humans and a few bad ones will get in to the ranks. Some cops will abuse power. Some nurses, doctors, lawyers, and gas station managers abuse the power they have. You don't see threads about how all McDonald's managers are pricks that over work employees and refuse them certain human dignities. The anecdotal stories are out there, but we don't think everyone is that way.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   

anyone who can be a cop is evil or very rich so they never had the opportunity of being harrased

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeNice81

Dude, everything you just said is the complete opposite of everything I have ever seen or experienced with cops. Cops are corrupt, power hungry. To want to be a cop in this day in age definitely signifies that you're after some preferential treatment for you and yours. Any person who is capable of basic reasoning and has any sort of love in their heart would see that to be a cop today means aligning yourself with thugs.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by MikeNice81

They are humans and a few bad ones will get in to the ranks. Some cops will abuse power. Some nurses, doctors, lawyers, and gas station managers abuse the power they have. You don't see threads about how all McDonald's managers are pricks that over work employees and refuse them certain human dignities. The anecdotal stories are out there, but we don't think everyone is that way.

You're right. But there are some differences. It starts from the very beginning with a generally low payscale for what most would consider a dangerous job. The problem, when looked at economically (supply/demand) becomes that when you offer little compensation for a highly demanding job you might not get the best recruits. Sorry if that offends anyone but it's gone downhill in recent years.

Of course there are power hungry people in other jobs, and tyrants, and egomaniacs. Bankers, politicians, etc... actually every job I can think of can have some tyrants there.

But the police department has the direct interaction with the public. You deal with them head on, one on one, face to face. Not through a video or a newspaper. They can also do things that most jobs can't... like detaining someone, or using force.

It's a unique situation.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 02:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by conspiracy88

Dude, everything you just said is the complete opposite of everything I have ever seen or experienced with cops. Cops are corrupt, power hungry. To want to be a cop in this day in age definitely signifies that you're after some preferential treatment for you and yours. Any person who is capable of basic reasoning and has any sort of love in their heart would see that to be a cop today means aligning yourself with thugs.

Dude, I've worked with over 65 LEOs for the better part of a year. I ride with them and go on calls with them. I have been on probably 300 calls in the last six months. Unless you are an officer, or you are doing something idiotic, I believe I have a bigger sampling of data than you do. I speak from experience.

Let us be a little realistic though. The NYPD released their numbers for 2010. Out of over 206,000 radio calls involving suspects with weapons only 33 ended with officers firing a shot.

In the last six months, in my job I have seen three cases where the officer was legally justified in firing and never even went for their gun. I have seen many episodes where cops have given homeless people rides to the shelter at 2am because of the weather. I've seen some of the greatest displays of humanity in the last six months. I've seen cops run in to burning buildings and perform first aid to save lives.

The only preferential treatment I've seen is free coffee at the BP, 50% off of Popa John's Pizza (if they pick it up in uniform), and free membership at a gym. I have seen officers fired for gaming the overtime system, stealing, driving infractions, and trying to pick up women while in uniform. I've seen officers put on unpaid leave for questionable searches, and for complaints of excessive force. Nobody turned a blind eye and nobody gave them preferential treatment. They were held to a higher standard than I've seen in any other job.

It is real popular for people to paint cops in a bad light or bad mouth them. The truth is that most of the people doing it have been mistreated by officers for a reason. Over 98% of the complaints of abuse or excessive force we recieve are cleared in less than 24 hours because of video and/or witness statements.

There are bad cops out there. However, the overwhelming majority are good people doing a hard job because they want to make a difference. Like I said, the encounters that go well don't make the news. They don't play in to the public perception and they don't sell advertising. A lot of them have no report to go with them, so there is nobody outside of the incident that knows about it. I can't even count the number of times I've seen an officer give a run away (over sixteen) a ride to the church mission because they refuse to go home, I can't tell you how many times we've put people in touch with chaplains or social workers to help them deal with greif and stress. There were multiple "occupy" protests in our jurisdiction. We did not interfere in a single one.

The cops I know are some of the most loving people in the world. They volunteer at soup kitchens, coach little league, they raise their children well, they give to orphans and widows, they volunteer for special details around local colleges to keep students safe. Our department of 120 officers and staff gave over $10,000 dollars to charity out of our own pockets last year. That doesn't include collections for special cases that didn't go through organized charity organizations.

The average beat cop or detective isn't out there trying to bother people or spying on people. That isn't what they want to do. Plus they don't have time. A single DUI arrest takes an officer off of the street for about two to three hours before they even start the report. Writing a citation for a moving violation requires twenty minutes of report writing. An assault arrest takes two hours plus the report. If the officer had to use force to stop the assault it is about 80 minutes of report writing. Don't even get me started on how long it takes to actually process a drug bust. The average beat cop doesn't have time to go around needlessly messing with people. If they stop somebody they had a reasonable suspicion that they needed too. Spending an hour or two processing a person plus an hour writing a report - just to spend three hours sitting in court to watch it get thrown out - is not fun or productive.

edit on 29-11-2011 by MikeNice81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 07:20 AM
link   
cops are bad face it, the ppl who decide to be cops are brainwashed, copsalways show off when they have ride alongs, but you see the real deal when they work alone thats when the devil has to come out, its not in a cops descrition to be a good semeritan, cops are policy holders "police" they are hear to serve the elite....... humans without badges are considred "human resources" unless they claim a nationality. belong to a government agency, or is a freemason. the rest of us are fair game and treated as such!

laws change daily, we are not taught the law, and we are not allowed to practice the law, we are human resources our job is to live in fear be bullied and told what to do

police are level 1 of mind control'
the military is level 2
level 3 is the shadow govt and demonic attacks....

all to keep humans scared
edit on 29-11-2011 by starsystem3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Mike has known 65 cops to behave themselves over the course of a year.

That's great.

Here's 500+ misbehaving in an afternoon with the full support of their union: www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by starsystem3

anyone who can be a cop is evil or very rich so they never had the opportunity of being harrased

Are you kidding???? I have several friends married to cops. They are far from evil or rich.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 07:34 AM
link   

I want to live in your town. I've also had the exact opposite experience, and I've lived all over the USA. The town I live in has one of the most corrupt sheriff organizations I've ever seen, it's astounding what they get away with. This is from my experience, which is extensive in the community. It's nothing compared to Chicago though.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

As I have said in other threads we have taken part in NYPD, Chicago PD, LAPD, and LASD are all considerred black marks on police in general. That goes double when it comes to corruption. If you go to the places were police actually discuss these types of things, they use those guys as an example of what not to do.

Here, in the academy they directly tell you professional privilege is not allowed and can result in the revocation of your commission. I have seen off duty cops ticketed and witnessed a State Trooper told to leave or get arrested when he threw a fit about his daughter's arrest.

I am not a ride along. I work for the department and have been the first responder on 300 calls for service. That does not include the interactions that occur through daily routine or the calls I responded to as a secondary unit. I have worked with state police, division of prisons, US Marshals, three sheriff's departments, my department and two city's police departments during that time. I have worked on a regular basis with the 65 cops of my department plus nearly three dozen from other departments and agencies. I have yet to run in to this wide spread corruption, killing, and thuggery that people on ATS seem to believe is the trademark of police.

You can look up my history, I will call out a cop if I think they are wrong. I have said multiple times here and elsewhere that specific cases deserved criminal charges against the cop. I am not an apologist in any sense of the word. You can check my past posts and see than I held many of the same views as you guys. When I actually got to spend a good deal of time around them, I saw the reality of the situation.

Like I said, you won't hear about the cops that turn the other cheek to let a kid skate for youthful indiscretion. You won't hear about the cop that saw a couple with their eight month old baby sitting at a bus stop after midnight and offered to take them home. You probably didn't hear about the cops that ran in to a burning college dorm last week to evacuate students. It never made the paper. They never wrote about the cop that visits a kid in the intensive care unit everyday to make sure his parents aren't coming around to beat and molest him again. Nobody ever told you he was planning to adopt the kid to keep him safe. Nobody wrote it up when the police department went out and sponsored rec league basketball teams so that poor kids could get off of the street and do something with their afternoons.

Oh and to put something in perspective about the 500 off duty cops. That reperesents 500 out of over 30,000 NYPD officers. That is less than 2% of the department. Unfortunately with the union power nobody could really move against them without risking their career. It is a prime example of why unions should not be allowed in public sector jobs.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by GeorgiaGirl

Originally posted by starsystem3

Are you kidding???? I have several friends married to cops. They are far from evil or rich.

you proved my point they never had the opportunity to be harrased if you gonna debunk someone with their own quote make sure you cover all their points dont just pick out the ones you want to try to look good

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   
There are good cops and bad cops. I found this the other day and couldn't believe it.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   
quote]Originally posted by krazykiller79
There are good cops and bad cops. I found this the other day and couldn't believe it.

if you can do this to everyday people you are evil who cares how good of a heart you claim to have the cop job is the evil job so being a cop you are evil,

new topics

top topics

join