It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Occupy the Factory Farm? Occupy the Slaughterhouse? Time for it?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
I was recently reading one of the many seasonal articles ( you see them EVERY year) about how our Thanksgiving turkeys are grown in factory farms. How they're filled with drugs, and how we've bred them to be so "breast heavy" that they cannot even walk. It made me think. WHY? Why do we read these articles every year and nothing ever changes?

Society has been aware of factory farms and the dangers they pose for decades now. I believe we all realise that meat products, dairy products, eggs, etc can be and often are/ loaded with drugs and growth hormones that harm adults and especially children. Factory farms even "modify" the animals.

We have seen videos and news articles of factory farm conditions with stressed out animals being treated cruelly, and slaughter houses that drag "downers" ( down or sick animals) around with bulldozers and throw them into the slaughter chute. Just this month Smithfield Farms and a giant egg producer were exposed for filthy and cruel conditions. It never ends. Yes they're ultimately going to be killed, but their humane treatment is not just ethical, it benefits the eventual consumers as well, who aren't eating stressed out drug laden animals "processed" in questionable conditions.

We know that factory farms produce runoff that destroys the environment. We're all aware of it, and we all hate it, but we seem to keep letting it go on. Our health is suffering for it.

Honestly could it be time for an OCCUPY THE FACTORY FARM or OCCUPY THE SLAUGHTERHOUSE?

I say this in all seriousness. Not only would it benefit our health directly and dramatically, it would likely also encourage smaller farms which would help the smaller farmer who are nearly gone. This would create jobs for people, healthier food for people, higher quality conditions and treatment of animals. It all goes hand in hand really.

It would also work to get rid of "food deserts" in America, and start getting Americans back towards a "locally grown, locally sustainable" system of farming and consuming, which would also not only create jobs but benefits all of us by giving us fresher foods AND reducing our dependence on foods being shipped from coast to coast in order to find it's way on our plate..which might come in handy for a number of reasons.

Just a thought.
edit on 22-11-2011 by Gemwolf because: Removed all caps from title

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
the premise is "occupy the world"

So go for it.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
It's a good thought and in the long run might achieve that goal, but in the short run I think the working poor would be the ones to suffer the most. The ones who deserve a break and never get it.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Anthropormorphic

It would also work to get rid of "food deserts" in America, and start getting Americans back towards a "locally grown, locally sustainable" system of farming and consuming, which would also not only create jobs but benefits all of us by giving us fresher foods AND reducing our dependence on foods being shipped from coast to coast in order to find it's way on our plate..which might come in handy for a number of reasons.

Millions of people are already doing this. Now, you could be like that crazy lady who stands outside the pig slaughterhouse screaming for hours for the "pain" of the pigs.

Or, you could do something that matters.

Cut out the crap from your diet. It depends on your location, but I'm sure there are options available to you (but in t he US they are seriously trying to restrict and destroy organic farms)

My wife and I have been doing this for some time now.

We signed up for a farm program from one of the local organic / natural farms. We were receiving a massive box of fruit / veg every second week. We can also order local natural beef and pork, free range chicken and eggs, and locally caught lobster/fish products.

One of the kewl little stores we found takes it a step further and gets just about anything you can imagine. Buffalo? done. Venison? how many pounds?

You can start making a huge difference just with that as by buying locally you are supporting those farms, and local jobs, which help your local economy. You are eating better foods (and for the most part, it's cheaper too!) and not putting any money into the big factory farms.

This also means your food isn't trucked around the planet, reducing the emissions and carbon footprint as well.

I don't think we need to occupy the farms, we just need to make informed decisions.

If you are an American, you'd best get started, your government doesn't want you eating healthy food and are taking steps to kill the industry, don't let them.

BUY LOCAL

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 01:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Anthropormorphic

Good thread OP S&F

I agree with you. I would suggest what we really need to start is an Occupy the voting booth.

This most recent election once again had a drop in voter turn out. The only way we the people are going to make changes is by getting bills and measures passed through legislation.

Too many people complain about all kinds of things and then never attempt to do anything about it. An Occupy the Farm would be good at bringing awareness to the issue. But we would need to take it farther and get more strict laws prohibiting the hormones and abuse.

I hate to use the word hate. But I hate Monsanto with a passion. They're a driving force behind most of the bad policies and they are ruining small farms. They are not just creating the GMO seeds but they are also involved in the beef industry changing cows with hormones and all kinds of crazy injections.

I am seriously wanting to start an OCCUPY THE VOTING BOOTH movement

edit on 22-11-2011 by MathiasAndrew because: typo

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 06:43 PM
link   
We're OCCUPYing SLAUGHTERHOUSES here

www.facebook.com...

HOPE YA JOIN US!!!

~The VEGANS of the World

top topics

join