It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Develop Drought-Tolerant Maize

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Just finished reading about the Pentagon's testing of new hyper-sonic missile technology, and while thinking:

"imagine if all those scientific resources were used on something that actually helped humankind instead of destroying it?" ... I came upon this.

Really, the title says it all, except for this added bonus... this IS NOT genetically modified.

The scientists at Texas A&M are using traditional cross-breeding of tropical and high-yield varieties to arrive at their desired results of food that will grow in even the harshest drought conditions.

I still can't help but be dismayed by the amount of resources humans put into creating ever more devastating killing machines, but at least there are some left over being used to ensure our survival... if we manage to dodge those new missiles that is!

the Billmeister

p.s.
I did a search, as always, before posting, but all the threads I found dealt with genetically modified crops, as opposed to the maize being developed here.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Wow! Excellent find OP! S&F!

It's good to see non-gene. mod. plants of any kind being developed; let alone food for blighted areas!!!

Aaaaaah, Humans. Ain't we infinitely interesting?

new topics

join