It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEO Asteroid 2011 WP4 to Graze Earth on November 24, 2011 – Condition Code 8

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Phage, I know this is off topic but I have a question.

Just by the way you write I understand that you must have a good understanding of most topics on ATS or any other. Most times I see you pretty much debunking most claims, even though some of the events are real, but with pretty much a persons spin added to it or along the lines.

The question I want to ask is this - Are there any topics that you have come across that make you go holy s##t, or with that, topics that you have had trouble debunking? I think it would be interesting to see what your point of view is about certain topics even you have struggled with, since you do not seem to struggle with very many of them.

Most can be debunked by people like yourself simply by throwing in some facts or evidence, but are there any threads or topics that not even you can answer or have tried to answer, but have still left you thinking hmmmm or 2nd guessing yourself?

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by SunnyDee

I believe you read it wrong...WP4 will be 1.5 LDs* +/- .0038 from earth.

*LD = Lunar Distance

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Almost half a million miles away is NOT grazing the Earth.

edit on 21-11-2011 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcalibur254

2005 YU55 was the closest asteroid of that size. There are tons of smaller NEOs that get very close to Earth. This one doesn't pose any threat. It would have to be at least ten times bigger to even have a small chance of making it through the atmosphere and then impacting.

Tunguska's explosion is thought to have been at altitude, and it is increasingly thought to have been a comet. The size was in the few tens of metres, around 75ft, this one is about half that size, asteroid or comet then, it could still do damage, there's no point in saying otherwise. The main thing is that it is not on a collision course.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by CosmicCitizen

From JPL:
ssd.jpl.nasa.gov...

Close-Approach Data ...sorted by Date/Time (TDB)

2011-Nov-24 08:13 00:42 Nominal distance (AU) Earth 0.00377083574999342 Minimum distance (AU)0.0037106433549478

I think that means closest approach is basically .0038 AU. I never said is was LD.

And to the people commenting on the "grazing" in the title. Maybe read a little from the first page, I've already said this: Per ATS rules, you are to use the title of the article you are using in your opening. This is the title copied and pasted from that article.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Here is a post I made yesterday about this it has a fairly good video and was the guy I think, first to break the news.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

As far as any inherent danger to the world population, I have no idea but as Phage pointed out we could see a challenge in 500 years or so. Hopefully by then we will be in control of our planet's safety a bit better than now.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

I went to your post, but the video you posted say it has been removed by user.

Was it the video in my link in the OP? Sorry if you brought this exact subject up already, I know you've been seeing that happen to you a lot (at least I think it was you). I think you need to start more threads when you come across the goods! Otherwise, someone else (like me) is going to get the credit, (not that I was looking for it). If it makes it any better, I did not find this info by way of your previous post.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Lol I always seem to encourage posting in existing threads or those closely related as mine never seem to get the attention I would like to see them get. I have been here long enough to not be concerned with S@F, this happens after a while. Sorry about the video being taken down, I will try to relink to it if I find time.

What I think about this event is that every since NASA opened up the skies to everyone and encouraged amateur astronomers and their additional eyes on the skies, so many new unexpected asteroids have been spotted, there are where my questions begin.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcalibur254

2005 YU55 was the closest asteroid of that size. There are tons of smaller NEOs that get very close to Earth. This one doesn't pose any threat. It would have to be at least ten times bigger to even have a small chance of making it through the atmosphere and then impacting.

Not if it's more dense or made of a different combination of materials and elements than they think.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by CosmicCitizen

I believe you read it wrong...WP4 will be 1.5 LDs* +/- .0038 from earth.

*LD = Lunar Distance

I have a question at this time...IF wp4 will be 1.5----....0038 away from earth and miss...How would they know that it is going to be .0038 if the code is a 8...8 means they dont know about the impact so how can NASA say its going to miss and be at .0038????

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Suppose to have another astroid pass by today as well

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   

(2011 WP4) 2011-Nov-24 07:57 ± < 00:01 1.5/0.0038 1.5/0.0038 10.84 10.77 1.98e+03 27.1

My fault for misreading your post but I had recalled the similarity of the 0.0038 LD (+/- from 1.5 LDs) as posted on the JPL.NASA site for NEOs and jumped to a conclusion. Either way the distance wasn't that close and the only thing I noticed at the time was my wife's behavior (LOL).

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by CosmicCitizen

No problem, I guess it missed us anyway, by about ohhh .0038 au! The guy above says we can look forward to another one today though, goody.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join