It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Will China acquire an aircraft carrier?

page: 1
0
<<   2  3 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2004 @ 04:00 PM
link   
This has been everywhere, but I just want to know how it's panned out.

From what I've seen, China bought the Kiev-class CVH Minsk from Russia in the mid-90s. Or was it for scrap metal?




posted on Sep, 4 2004 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by sweatmonicaIdo
This has been everywhere, but I just want to know how it's panned out.

From what I've seen, China bought the Kiev-class CVH Minsk from Russia in the mid-90s. Or was it for scrap metal?


My understanding was that they purchased it for scrab and then used it as a learning testbed for whatever future carrier they had. It makes sence. They have never had a carrier and like shopping for a car you have to take a test drive.....



posted on Sep, 4 2004 @ 09:41 PM
link   
I have not seen anything in new online or in the news. Just for some background, in case anyone is not familiar, here is a link to a discussion from January of this year.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

and some other links on the subject:
www.abovetopsecret.com...
www.globalsecurity.org...



posted on Sep, 4 2004 @ 11:20 PM
link   
So China's going for the Soviet concept of ski-jump? I guess the Soviets really were that strong in influence!

Tell me this, though. Besides the Su-27, are they planning to carry the Q-5 "Fantan" and the J-6, J-7, and J-8 on the carriers?



posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 03:14 AM
link   
nothing definate as far as if and when the PLAN actually gets their carrier. quick reading from a couple of sources points out that China needs first upgrade their other bluewater assests first.



posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 04:35 AM
link   
i believe the future use of the minsk is some sort of floating themed casino/entertainment complex??

i'll look for links



posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 04:37 AM
link   
my apologies that's the Varyag.

here's a link : www.varyagworld.com...



posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 04:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by sweatmonicaIdo
So China's going for the Soviet concept of ski-jump? I guess the Soviets really were that strong in influence!

Tell me this, though. Besides the Su-27, are they planning to carry the Q-5 "Fantan" and the J-6, J-7, and J-8 on the carriers?


British use the ski jump also.

Operation of any large military project must be considered through cost / benefit ratio. At this point running an aircraft carrier for China would not be economically / militarily productive. Once they decide to exercise some rights say over the oil-rich areas in South Sea they may build one.



posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 05:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by sweatmonicaIdo
So China's going for the Soviet concept of ski-jump? I guess the Soviets really were that strong in influence!

Tell me this, though. Besides the Su-27, are they planning to carry the Q-5 "Fantan" and the J-6, J-7, and J-8 on the carriers?


j11 (chinese edition su27) or j11.5(Csu30),i think



posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 07:59 AM
link   
I believe China will not build Carrier before the unifination of Taiwan. Right now China is contained by a line from Korea->Japan->Taiwan->Philipines->Singapor->Tailand. Carrier is of limited use in such limited area, and is not cost effective.

Even if China has 2 carriers, it is still no comparison to US 12 active carriers, and more is still building. There is no way for China to confront US fleets in the open Oceans in a long time. China do have some advantage near Chinese coastline.

I do believe China is researching capabilities to build and operate Carrier or its equivalent. When the need of Carrier arises, China will have one, but maybe in 10-20 years.



posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 12:10 PM
link   
I was just going through some stuff, it turns out that China never quite went through with the purchase of the Varyag, but it purchase the Kiev, which is now a museum, and the Minsk, which is now a floating casino/theme park.

It must suck for the Soviet-era sailors who served on great ships like Kiev and Minsk.



posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I was wondering what the feasability of using existing transport ships as launchcraft for planes. A "cheap" psudo-aircraftcarrier allowing for quick air support as well as troop transport. although easy targets they are cheap, and readily available.



posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 03:10 PM
link   
I can see why China would have an interest in a carrier. It would make an excellent strike platform to hit Taiwan from. They copied the F-16 so why not build a carrier. I can see China getting a carrier. I mean even Brazil thought they needed one.



posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by cyberdude78
I can see why China would have an interest in a carrier. It would make an excellent strike platform to hit Taiwan from. They copied the F-16 so why not build a carrier. I can see China getting a carrier. I mean even Brazil thought they needed one.


Of Course, China should be interested. Carriers are the best tools when dealing nations other than US and Russia.

But due to US dominance on open waters, China should spend limited money on more cost effective weapons like submarines, missiles, etc.


D

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 02:47 AM
link   
It was a while back, but in Time magazine, the Rhode Island War College reported that the Chinese navy was very capable of holding off and defeat the US Pacific Fleet, and from the recent news, China's navy has been building up very quickly and have been buying lots of Russian tech. I know it's only the Pacific Fleet, but anyone who could hold off the US Pacific Fleet would have to have one hell of a navy.



posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 04:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by D
It was a while back, but in Time magazine, the Rhode Island War College reported that the Chinese navy was very capable of holding off and defeat the US Pacific Fleet, and from the recent news, China's navy has been building up very quickly and have been buying lots of Russian tech. I know it's only the Pacific Fleet, but anyone who could hold off the US Pacific Fleet would have to have one hell of a navy.


It's all very situation-specific. In open water for hundreds of miles, two fleets coming toward one another, without nuclear exchange, there is no possible way Chinese fleet could stand up to 5 carrier battle groups and all the US subs. If China ever gets much larger fleet and more advanced, well let me just say a naval, air, and space battle (gotta take out sats) between two fleets the size of the US Pac Fleet would be a memorable one, and probably over in an amazingly fast time.



posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by taibunsuu
It's all very situation-specific. In open water for hundreds of miles, two fleets coming toward one another, without nuclear exchange, there is no possible way Chinese fleet could stand up to 5 carrier battle groups and all the US subs. If China ever gets much larger fleet and more advanced, well let me just say a naval, air, and space battle (gotta take out sats) between two fleets the size of the US Pac Fleet would be a memorable one, and probably over in an amazingly fast time.


To defeat US Pac fleet, China will heavily rely on land-based missiles and aircrafts, and submarines. Chinese sea fleets has no match to that of US. Only with combined strength can China defeat US carrier fleets near Chinese coastline.



posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 09:19 AM
link   
any ship, plane, tank, or any pice of military equiment that the chinese have is nothing compared to western technoogy and training. it may look big and bad but its pretty sad when our tanks can take out chinese tanks before our tanks are in the chinese tanks maximum effective range.



posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by KrazyIvan
any ship, plane, tank, or any pice of military equiment that the chinese have is nothing compared to western technoogy and training. it may look big and bad but its pretty sad when our tanks can take out chinese tanks before our tanks are in the chinese tanks maximum effective range.


I see pictured of burned MiA1 in Iraq, and Iraqi Resistance mostly have only AK-47 and RPGs. I admit West hypes are much bigger and powerful than that of China.

Even if US or West Tanks were so invincible, where will they face that of China? from US carriers?



posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 12:21 AM
link   
China has supercaviting torpedoes (sales from from Russia) to counter subs. Many people believe some of them broke sound barrier under water.

Once Western submarine launches torpedo, it just blown off its stealth cap. Now Chinks fire one of those rocket-torpedos. Chinas torpedo blows up Western submarine first, wire between western-submarine and western-torpedoe breaks, torpedo is lost... and the game is over.
(At least thats how Soviets thought would happen. And also, this is why they built supercaviting torpedos in the first place)

China has Sunburns and Kryptons (krypton is supposed to be better, meaner and more advanced than Sunburn. Missile can be launched from ground, ship, submarine, or air)

Now, those missiles-from-hell would cruise mach 2.7 (3,010 FeetPerSecond) as low as 3 (three) feet above water, and then throw off all defences by doing mad maneuvers while approaching the ship.


Those missiles/torpedos-out-of-devils-ass take care of US submarines and ships/carriers.


PS: if you need link, HERE



new topics

top topics



 
0
<<   2  3 >>

log in

join