It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientology. Is there something were not seeing?

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by WakeUpRiseUp

I'm not sure they joined willfully. Scientology is well known to use spies to learn about its targets. I bet Tom Cruise, John Travolta and others have a secret(s) that Scientology leaders keep silent as long they contribute money and time to the organization. Like most religions, its a money making, power grab scheme based on celebrity gods and nonsense about alien influence.

ETA: Just saw Proudbird's post and he sums it well: BLACKMAIL.

As to those behind it, I can see the US government's hand for no other reason than Hollywood is the prime tool of US ambassadorship with the exporys of billion dollar movies that shape global conscience. Scientology is a psy-ops tool to control the celebrity ambassadors and make sure they give off the "best" US message.
edit on 22-11-2011 by Jason88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by abeverage

I am strictly scientifically minded these days.

Religion is not for me.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
One of the most interesting things about the success of Scientology in my view isn't that it is simply science fiction, but it is CRAPPY science fiction on top of it all!

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by dbloch7986
reply to post by abeverage

I am strictly scientifically minded these days.

Religion is not for me.

oxymoron. science is a religion. perhaps you were having a tongue in cheek moment.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by usernamehere

That is not true, although some scientists are apparently trying to steer science down that path, i.e. Richard Dawkins...

dbloch7986, don't take the flame bait. Don't feed the trolls...

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by dbloch7986

I know and recognize the feeling so much so it why that is part of my signature...

Someday I you may see as I did they are the opposite sides of the same coin. But I love to see both and my hope is one day they are again brought back together.

Science lacks the words to describe my feelings when looking at the vast universe as those emotions are meaningless to the logic used to describe its fundamental building blocks. Just as religion fails to grasp the divine shown within those equations, formulas, the process of evolution and the beauty that is apparent in the mathematics.

Music is one area that speaks both languages eloquently and in some cases is able to express both the divine and scientific.

But I still know how (at least for me) it was better for that 25 year old self to reject those paths for a while and seek only logic. But I was not shown a lot of other paths or maybe I was and I just needed to go my own way...lol who knows. Sorry to ramble and above all I am glad you are out and hope you finds some peace and happiness in whatever you endeavour.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by usernamehere

I said scientific minded. Meaning that I base my opinions and belief off of observation as opposed to faith.

where do you get the idea that "science" is "religion"?

Science is a body of knowledge gained through experimentation or observation and religion is a belief system in the supernatural.

And which "science" are you talking about. There are a lot of them.

Looks like somebody is riding their high horse today. Maybe you should try looking at things normally instead of down the end of your nose and you wouldn't get confused.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by WakeUpRiseUp

uh, no actually. And if you want to call me an idiot for knowing more than me, I'll happily report it to the mods for violating T&C.

It's clear that you're new here. Start respecting other people or your time here won't be long. Either source your claims, prove why another is wrong, or simply don't speak.
edit on 22-11-2011 by Gorman91 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Bravo to dbloch7986 for posting this link

I thought it was so interesting I wanted to give it a re-post in this thread. It is very interesting and it is not a difficult read. Apparently Scientology is spookier and slimier than I already suspected!

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Threadfall

Bravo to dbloch7986 for posting this link

Agreed.

As well as the many other great contributions already, that have revealed the sham and scam that $cientology truly represents.

I could expand on the "comparisons" to many other so-called "Mainstream Religions", in order to point out similarities. The "LDS", for example.....is just another case of a "religion" that, at its basis, is formed from a single assertion made by a less-than-credible "source".

IN fact.....this could be applied to each and every "religion" known to Man.....but, that tends to branch off, away from the "point" of this thread.......

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Threadfall

Thanks.

That was a great website that helped me to understand what I was going through while working for the c of s.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
The comparison to other religions is unfair, I think. You can find Hindus, Muslims, Christians of varying violent or abusive sects, and we can have philosophical discussions about the origin stories of these religions all day. But what makes Scientology and other cults (which can of course branch off from any religion) different is the complete detriment (if practiced as the singular leadership asks) that the organization will bring to all but the very wealthiest of members - psychologically, financially, etc.

The Pope may ask for a tithe and adherence to certain beliefs (that's what it means to be a member of a religion, in the first place). But few would doubt that he most likely believes the gospels, believes in an afterlife, and generally wishes for Catholics the world over to live healthy lives as well. I find it unlikely that the leadership of Scientology care so much about ridding the world of soul-sucking space demons as they do the bottom line, and could care less for the actual 'spiritual progress' of their members as they do continued financial support.

Organized religion, and organized anything, breeds corruption. Its the very heart of Scientology that makes it dis ingenious. If you are a well meaning Muslim or Catholic you can generally live a happy life, and worst case scenario you have fallen for an untruth. If you are a Scientologist you have fallen for an outright scam.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by snusfanatic

An expensive scam at that. Not to mention the psychological damage that will be done to you is unimaginable. It's a really painful experience.

I was never physically harmed but the psychological torture I endured, especially as a child because I was recruited at 15, has damaged me in ways I probably don't even understand. Even the recruitment process was torture. Its ridiculous what I have been through. Not the least of which I was allowed to see my family maybe five or six times in three years for a few hours at a time.

There are so many things wrong with the religion I could bore you to death with the details.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   

I'm sorry to hear about your experience and glad you got out! The amount of relativism that goes into equating such a damaging 'religion' to more mainstream beliefs (which are mainstream for good reason - ie: their spiritual teachings are sincere enough to allow people to live healthy secular lives as well) really defies logic to me. If you want to open up more about what the 'torture' included I'd be very interested to learn from you. If it is too painful, I of course understand. I find first hand accounts of things like this to be very eye opening.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by snusfanatic

Well if you imagine for example, that you are a fifteen year old kid. Just entering puberty, just starting to grow up.

Your parents have had you going to church like a good boy since you were a kid. I mean of course you went to church like your parents wanted you to. you're a kid. You don't know anything except what your parents teach you. Ah but this is where it begins. According to Scientology you are not a kid. You are a trillion year old spirit. So children don't need guidance nor do they need to be taught. So one day these guys in fancy uniforms show up and say, hey kid, we know you're only fifteen, but how would you like to join the sea org and save the world!

This is obviously a tactic to lure children into the fantastical dream of being a power ranger. I mean from the moment you enter scientology you're bombarded with seas org propaganda. Its very similar to the ads the marines put out. So they start telling you about how the world is going to end and you can save it by being part of this elite group. It all sounds fantastical. Sure you say that would be awesome. They say okay let's go right now.

You ask, but what about my friends and family. They say oh well you'll still see them but you'll be living in a building in hollywood. You'll have your own room, it will be cool. No not right now you say, maybe another time. Oh no they say, time we don't have, sign your billion year contract now! So that first night, there you are up until 2am saying you don't want to. Crying because your parents left you with these freaks and they are your only ride home. And they say they will take you home whenever you're ready but you've been asking since 9pm and they still won't take you.you get home in tears and your dad screams at you its your fault, you let this happen to yourself.

Then that scenario repeats for months on end. It took me a year to cave in. they followed me to school, to my house, called me several times a day, showed up at all hours of the day and night. Your parents do nothing to protect you.

Then you cave in, okay they say let's go. They swear you will get time off. They swear they will take care of you. The next morning you wake up, they are nowhere to be found. A drill instructor is screaming at you to wake up and wash puts and pans. Now you spend the next three weeks doing hard labor. Washing industrial kitchen supplies and equipment, getting screamed at daily, studying books intended for full grown people and expected to read ave understand them in hours. You clean bathrooms all over the hollywood complex.

Keep in mind you are fifteen. There were twenty if us or so: kids as young as thirteen there and adults as old as 50. And we all shared a room together.

That's the first three weeks.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Anyone in Scientology will tell you its not that bad and I'm exaggerating. That's because Scientologists are taught not to disclose, or to downplay anything that could paint the church in a bad light. I know because I used to do that. The Church of Scientology has taught be to be one of the world's best liars. Funny considering the church claims to abhor lying. Oh wait no, lying is okay, as long as its to protect the church.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   

dbloch, Are you still currently a member? ~SheopleNation

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by SheopleNation

I won't be doing anything with the church anymore, so no. They consider anyone who has ever bought a book a member of the church, to keep the statistics falsely inflated.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Well then I guess my now deceased Father was a member and didn't even know it. I remember seeing The Dianetics book laying around the house when I was a kid. He never mentioned anything about it, so it must have not impressed him much. I would like to read the book just to read it. ~SheopleNation

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
They use blackmail a lot. When one goes in for their readings, or sessions, everything is recorded. Word is they use threats of destroying peoples' careers with what they have on tape and this gets a lot of these people to do anything. Maybe it was something illegal they did, in the case of Tom Cruise and John Travolta it's supposedly the "big revelation" that they are gay, which everybody in Hollywood already knows, but there isn't any obvious proof.

A guy I knew when I was in L.A. who is an actor, not well known but he worked constantly for a very long time, went in for one of the free readings they do just cause he thought it would be amusing to see what it was all about. Because he's an actor and good at adlibbing stories, he started telling all sorts of wild, untrue stories to the person running his session with him. Only after ten or fifteen minutes of this did he notice the guy had a tape recorder recording the session. He asked the guy if he he could have the tape because he didn't give his consent to the recording, the guy just told him "no." So now, if he ever gets really famous, they have this tape of him admitting to all sorts of crazy things that he never really did.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join