It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange odor detected at Fort Detrick in Maryland.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Tests are being done after an odor was detected during drilling at Fort Detrick. It's concerning because the odor is coming from an area that's been contaminated with toxins. Contaminants were buried at the site when Fort Detrick's Biological Weapons program was ended in the 1970s. Robert Sperling with Fort Detrick said employees noticed the odor last Wednesday while they were installing a well. But that information wasn't released until Saturday morning. "Once they smelled the odors, they stopped what they were doing, and they put on protective gear, they put on a respirator," he said vapor didn't travel off base and therefore, is not a threat to the community. "We had did some tests downwind and really nothing was detected past about 10 feet from the actual drill," Sperling said. Rachel Pisani is with the Kristin Renee Foundation, an organization that's investigating a possible link between contamination at Fort Detrick and cancer. She said she is concerned about this latest incident. "If they have an odor that's that prominent, they can't tell me for sure that it's not toxic. They were telling us for years that everything was okay in Area B, and now we know that it's not," she said. Fort Detrick officials say at this time, they do not know whether the odor is hazardous. They are waiting for results from water testing. Those results should be available next week.

Perhaps they drilled into something that was supposed to stay buried? Who knows. Ft Detrick is home to several medical / biological installations.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
It wouldn't take much to effect the community, as Ft Detrick is surrounded on all sides by neighborhoods, schools, shops etc. Great place for the world's most deadly toxins/biologics.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Drilling where bio weapons are buried seems stupid even for the military

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by isitjustme
Drilling where bio weapons are buried seems stupid even for the military

I second that. I can't find a source in the OP, but the writing sounds like a local newspaper. What I'm getting at is this: If the locals know all this--about the history of the base and so on--wouldn't the base administration know this? Are they actually stupid enough to drill for water (from what I can gather) in an area where biotoxins have been buried?

Seriously, you have to rack your brain for some reason that doesn't look like the stubbornest, most profound type of idiocy. Their excuses sound like they actually believe their own lying propaganda....

top topics

join