It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

some manga about survival horror/post apocalypse

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   
I read a lot of manga (if you couldn't tell from my avatar) and one of my favorite genres is post apocalypse/ survival. I'm very bored so I'm going to compile a list of manga like that. For each manga I will add a link, a description from www.mangaupdates.com and my comments.
7 seeds

Scientists had predicted this disaster, and in response, the leaders of every country met to develop a plan for human survival before the meteor hit. The 7Seeds project was developed out of this meeting. Each country froze a number of young healthy people, which allowed them to survive the meteor. After the computer determined that Earth was once again safe for human life, it released them into the world.
Very good if you don't mind shoujo. It can be very unrealistic at times but watching the interaction between the different groups is interesting.

Battle royale

In the future, random Jr. High School classes are chosen to compete in a game called Battle Royale. The rules: only one student can survive after 3 days on an island or else they all perish. Weapons are handed out and each student is sent out into the field alone and unprepared for the horror that awaits them. The classmates turn upon themselves in a battle for survival, treaties are made and broken, and former friends become foes as the relentless countdown continues. Amid the betrayals and rising body count, two classmates confess their love for each other and swear to survive this deadly game together
Only read this if violence and sex doesn't offend you. It's very psychological (who can you trust?). The only downsides are that the characters are drawn to look much older than they actually are (they also act a lot older. Kinda annoying.) and that many of the side characters are drawn incredibly ugly (to make you only care about the main characters). Overall it's very good. Too bad the sequel is awful.
Bio Meat

Man is having a hard time finding food and getting rid of their trash, so science comes up with a bio-engineered animal that survives by eating trash, and is then killed to feed humanity. But the self-replicating, endlessly hungry killing machine gets loose in Tokyo...
It's ok. It has an interesting idea, but it's kinda cliche and the art/character designs are horrible. A lot of people love it but I think it's just ok.
High school of the dead

A mysterious, lethal disease is on the loose worldwide, resulting in a catastrophic death rate of humanity, and an increasing rise of attacks caused by the living dead. In Japan, several high school students and a school nurse have banded together to escape Fujimi Private High School shortly after it was attacked by "them." The group now faces the greatest struggle of their young lives: attempting to survive the present apocalypse.
Some above average zombie killing fun. That's really all there is to say here.
Cage of eden

Akira and his classmates are travelling on a plane when it crashes onto an island inhabited by species thought to have been extinct. The situation becomes increasingly desperate as some of Akira's classmates are eaten alive, while some kill others in desperation. Now Akira and a few other survivors are trying to survive what seems to be a horrible nightmare.
Very very good. It reminds me of lord of the flies because of the whole"kids trapped on an island" thing. The difference is in this case there are adults and there actually is a monster (or monsters). It also reminds me of lost because of the whole mystery aspect of it.
Metro survive

Mishima is your average spineless pushover, working as a repairman for the Exopolis Tower, Tokyo's largest and hottest highrise business and entertainment building. He promised to come home in time to celebrate his son's birthday, but when he lets his pushy boss saddle him with overtime, the task takes him all night. On the morning subway train heading home, a massive earthquake strikes and collapses both Exopolis and its underground train lines. Now Mishima is trapped deep underground with the other passengers of the train, some of whom are less than cooperative. Will he be able to take the initiative for once and lead them all to freedom, or will they starve in their underground prison?
My second favorite out of all the manga I'm posting here. It's a very realistic take on what would happen in such a situation. It's very psychological.
Dragon head

In the horror of witnessing so many classmates perish before his eyes in a violent train wreck, Teru discovers two survivors in the tunnel: Ako and Nobuo. But salvation from this bloody carnage is far from their grasp. As they try to dig out from the wreck in order to come up with a plan to stay alive, the lack of light and food, combined with the stench of death and decay, will lead one member of the group down a dark and demented path. And with sudden, violent earthquakes shaking the tunnel, escaping to the outside world may lead them to an even greater danger...
It starts off very good, but the quality declines after they escape the tunnel. It's still worth a read. It can be kind of unrealistic (takes them forever to find out what happened even though it's incredibly obvious) but all in all it's decent.
Hotel

A computer continues to live on in order to complete a mission in a world where all life, including Mankind, has gone extinct. This is a record of those 27 million years of its heroic struggle.
My favorite out of all the manga I posted here and one of my favorite of all time. Incredibly moving for a one shot. I cried.
Suicide island

Treating non-successful suicidal patients requires a lot of money and resources. With low budget and a personal respect argumentation, a doctor will ask a non-successful suicidal patient if he/she still wants to live on or not. If not the government will respect his/her wish. However, the government doesn't just simply kill them.
Despite it's unrealistic premise (wouldn't it be cheaper for the government to kill them then to send them to an island?) it's very good and is probably my third favorite out of all the manga I'm posting here. The art is great and the character development is amazing.

That's all I have for now. If I missed some good ones then post them. If you liked this thread then a s&f would be greatly appreciated.

edit on 20-11-2011 by targeting because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Bokurano

In a summer vacation, a group of 15 children discovered a mysterious man living in a seashore cave, along with his high-tech gadgets. The man claimed to be a game developer creating a video game with a giant robot defending Earth from 15 alien invaders, and asked those children to test the game for him. The kids agreed happily at first, but soon they began to find the game horrifying, not only because of its realism but also because the first fatality among them happened right after their first victory. Worse yet, they had no idea how to stop or leave the "game."
This manga is mean
. It likes to get you attached to a character and promptly kill that character off. Anyway the art is great, the story is interesting, and the characters show a lot of development. It's very good.
Gantz

Somewhere in Tokyo, there is a room. In that room is a black sphere. Periodically, people who should otherwise have died are transferred to the room. There, the sphere gives them special suits and weapons, and sends them out on a mission to kill aliens here on Earth. While these missions take place, the rest of the world is largely oblivious to them. These missions are lethal--few participants survive them. The sphere calls the shots, and it's not the slightest bit nice. Its name... Gantz.
How did I forget to put this in my first post? I take back what I said about metro survive. This is the second best out of everything I've posted (maybe the best even). The art is terrific, it isn't cliche at all, the main character shows a lot of development, and the story is great. The only bad thing about it is sometimes the author will just drop parts of the storyline without ever explaining anything (whatever happened to those vampires?) also sometimes a minor character will just disappear without any explanation as to what happened to them(I miss the dog from the earlier chapters
). It's like the author just forgets about them or something. Anyway it's really good and if you haven't read it you should.
edit on 20-11-2011 by targeting because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Good one!
Now I''m not much of a manga reader but I'll read this when I have the time and plus show to friends

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by targeting

Ah nice, I see you got Guts "gutts, gatts" as your avatar, nice touch! - Have you ever read the Guyver manga? That is one of my favorites, but i havent seen any new volumes released in a long time.

I also heard they'res a new Berserk movie coming out soon, in January?

I was so into berserk, the anime and manga, that i actually fashioned a Dragonslayer sword out of A36 steel, it weighs over 29lbs so its not really practical to use it, but it looks pretty close to the manga one, albeit not perfect.

I did see the Gantz anime, but never read the manga, that anime just plain creeps me out haha.

I wouldnt mind checking out Cage of eden and Bio-Meat

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by kilodelta
reply to post by targeting

Ah nice, I see you got Guts "gutts, gatts" as your avatar, nice touch!
Yeah. I'm such a big berserk fan that I almost put it in the list of survival manga even though only the black swordsman arcs would fit. Berserk is my favorite manga of all time.

- Have you ever read the Guyver manga? That is one of my favorites, but i havent seen any new volumes released in a long time.
Never heard of it. Looking it up now.

I also heard they'res a new Berserk movie coming out soon, in January?
Yep. I'm really psyched for it.

I was so into berserk, the anime and manga, that i actually fashioned a Dragonslayer sword out of A36 steel, it weighs over 29lbs so its not really practical to use it, but it looks pretty close to the manga one, albeit not perfect.
Really? That's friggin awesome. How did you make it?

I did see the Gantz anime, but never read the manga, that anime just plain creeps me out haha.
Never seen the anime.

I wouldnt mind checking out Cage of eden and Bio-Meat
I'd check out cage of eden first. It's better imo

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Guyver is a pretty crazy manga, the story is real deep, you might enjoy it.

Far as the sword goes, i went to a metal recycling facility and picked up some slabs of steel, one giant one to fashion the blade out of, and 3 other pieces. One long cold rolled part for the handle, and 2 smaller rectangles for the base of the sword where it is hanged from a hook (one for each side). Used a plasma cutter and welder at my friends place of employment, along with different grinders to grind down the edges and welds. After the blade was made we finished the handle and what not in the basement.

here are some pictures of it:

Sword-1

Sword-2

Hilt-1

Sword-Done-GunBlued
edit on 20-11-2011 by kilodelta because: pictures are way to big

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by kilodelta

Damn that's cool. It actually looks like gutt's sword. I wish I had that
. Anyway thanks for the recommendation guyver is great so far.

new topics

top topics

join