It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "Holiday Spirit", and why it bothers me...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Here we go again....the holidays are upon us. TV is bombarding us with messages about how buying this or that will bring joy to everyone! People going on and on about helping the less fortunate. I have a problem with this. Why? Because as soon as January rolls around, suddenly the "less fortunate" are forgotten again. People don't just suddenly start going hungry during the holidays. Not trying to be a "Debbie Downer"....but it just REALLY bothers me. There are kids going to bed hungry in July....September....April....in other words, hunger knows no holiday. I posted this in another thread, which prompted me to start this one. If EVERY person who reads this would buy ONE bag full of non perishable food when they do their grocery shopping, and drop it off at a food bank or church, do you realize what an impact that would have? I know things are tough, and we have to look after our own, but even a couple of cans of food would feed a child for a night. Most of us don't know what it feels like to go to bed with your stomach HURTING from hunger....and I hope you never do. But so many kids experience this every night.

So, I would like to challenge all of you to buy ONE BAG full of non perishable food per month, and drop it off at the food bank.....or 1 food item even. Not just this month or next month....but PER MONTH....or per week if you are blessed enough to be able to. If you donate to the Food Bank, they will see that it goes DIRECTLY to those who need it the most. So Happy Holidays to my ATS Family.....and I hope that you will try to make a difference!
edit on 11/20/2011 by StealthyKat because: (no reason given)

edit on 11/20/2011 by StealthyKat because: content

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Look at it this way. At least those less fortunate get one month out of the year instead of none. If the holidays never came to be, most likely people would never remember other people they never met or dont care about. look at the glass being half full. Or in this case, 1/12th full.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
the spirit of capitalism more like haha

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by StealthyKat

Yeah, right, help the less fortunate... Help them to remember that they're not getting all of the gadgets and status symbols that everybody else works incessantly to purchase because of the mind numbing advertisements and planned obsolescence.
When did Christianity become all about materialism and obligatory gift giving? It truly is sickening.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Helping unfortunate people during the holidays is a good thing.
Being alone during the holidays sucks.
It's nice to know that someone cares, even if it's a stranger.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by worldinabrain

I know what you are saying, but it's not good enough....we can do better. Who knows what tomorrow will bring, and it could be any one of us in need of help. And what if it happened in July?

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by DankKing420

Yeah...that's right! Half of the presents will be tossed in a closet and forgotten about within a month! It's a money making machine (The Christmas hype)....persauding people to go into debt or they won't feel the "joy".

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
great point, stealthykat. Personally I detest the Christmas season. It was created by retailers to increase their profits and get them out of the red.
For the last few years, my family finally agreed to stop exchanging gifts. Now we just buy for the kids. I do make jams from homegrown berries and give away small jars tho. (not to the kids, to my friends and family).
The true spirit of giving should come from the heart, not the store.
And I do my best year round to give to the local food banks. If there is a drive it's not that much $ to buy some stuff and put it in the barrell. Where I live, this goes on year round.
A word of caution... last time I went to put some money into the salvation armys kettle the woman took it out of my hand and pretended to put it in. She palmed it. Really pissed me off. I should have reported her but I let it go. But from now on I'll be sure my mitts put the money in there , that's for sure.
During the summer, the food banks are more than happy to take your extra produce you've grown. Please don't let it go to waste.

Bah Humbug, err I mean Happy Holidays all
edit on 20-11-2011 by horseplay because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by GmoS719

People do care...and you know what? Being alone does suck....but that is another thing....TV tries to make you think if you aren't dressed up, surrounded by people exchanging expensive gifts, then somehow, there's something wrong with you. People who normally don't give you the time of day, or relatives who, the rest of the year make your life a living hell, are suddenly supposed to gather to ether and pretend they like each other.
Personally, if they don't call me the rest of the year, I don't need them with me during the holidays. If someone is special to me, I let them know it all year long, not just because the media says I "should" do it at a certain time of year.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   
A couple of quick thoughts. It's not fair, or accurate, to say the Christmas gift storm is Christian.

Secondly, if you're thinking of taking up StealthyKat's suggestion (a good one), may I suggest getting in touch with your local food shelf first? In my area there is a St. Vincent de Paul center that just gives things away, including food. I talked to the director and was told that if I bought a can of food for a dollar and donated it, they would have one can of food. But if I gave them the dollar they could buy four or five cans of food through their connections with bulk distributors. Obviously, I go cash now.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Q:1984A:1776

I think you missed my point....it SHOULD NOT be about all that. It IS sickening. I'm not religious just because of all the hypocrisy I see. Truley poor people don't give a damn about gadgets and gifts. Those people would be happy to just be able to have a traditional holiday meal. I know, I've been there when I was growing up. My Mother couldn't buy us presents for several years when she was ill....and we had a holiday meal because of the kindness of strangers, and you know what? Those were my favorite Christmases....even though there were no presents...a lady brought my Mother a bag of groceries with the ingredients to make us a Christmas dinner....a big basket with a bow on it.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by horseplay

Bah humbug indeed!
That's why I said to donate food...too many greedy people to give money. I love getting presents like what you said about the jam....my sister always makes me white chocolate covered pretzels....I look forward to it every year! I know it's something I could make myself, but the idea that she took the time to make it for me means something...and they are soooo good!

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   

I agree with you people who have nothing on their minds but material things on their mind are shells of people. I take issue with those who say its about capitalism....its more about human nature. Capitalistic countries arent the only ones by far who dont make the poor their first priorities.

What really bothers me is the never ending line of people who are challenging me to give to this charity and that charity. I have a real problem with people telling me what to support. But aside from that the self righteous are just as annoying as those who dont want to help anyone ever. Just because you throw money at a problem doesnt mean you can walk around and "challenge" others to do so. Nice sentiment and I understand your want to help but we get enough of it elsewhere

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by onfire49

That exactly why I said food...not money. Too many corrupt people to throw money at it. I don't know if you meant you thought I was self righteous (?) I speak from experience, because I used to be in that situation as a child...not meaning to sound self righteous at all. I am thankful for those who helped my family when we needed it.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   

I understand you want people to give food not money. I meant more like doing things that actually require you to help the less fortunate. And I dont mean to insult you...I understand you have a personal connection to all of this. I just feel like we are bombarded with requests to help every where. I am just not a fan of those who like to tell others what they should do with their time or money (not specifically addressed at you, you just made a challenge thread). I personally really enjoy helping others, working at youth centers and the like, and I'll donate clothes you know that kind of stuff. But I dont think that people should have to help if they dont want to and I certainly dont believe that others should push them to do so. I understand it may seem I am lashing out at you I just dont like the idea of telling others what to do when it comes to stuff like this

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   
I always loved the scenario in the book "Little Women" where the girls take food to the poor people for Christmas Day. That is the true charity Christians are known for.

anyway, here's a nice montage and if it doesn't make you feel at least a little warm and fuzzy, you must have a stone cold heart

another one of my eternal favorites( and I grew up in St. Louis)

edit on 20-11-2011 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

Oh yah, and I just donated 7 bags of really nice clothing to Salvation Army
edit on 20-11-2011 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by onfire49

Thanks...I thought you meant me personally....no, I wouldn't presume that I could to tell people what to do...I used the word "challenge"...meaning people can accept the challenge or not...it's their decision. I have no right to tell anyone what to do. I just put the word out, then it's up to them. As far as doing things physically to help, I volunteer at a homeless shelter twice a week, and that's part of what made me want to post this. Thanks for your viewpoint!

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Hi stealthy...nice message. I will buy a bag and donate to my local food pantry. I mean that really is what the spririt of the season is about after all.
Sometimes we forget the true meaning. Take care.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   

well thank you for being civil as well. Its nice to see something in social issues that has something to do with social issues and not "99% lets protest", "Proof Police Work for Hitler/NWO", or "A case for hanging the rich".

Glad to see your helping others

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by ThirdEyeofHorus

Thanks! Don't get me wrong... I love Christmas.....what it is MEANT to be. OK...let me explain what I mean. I see all these commercials where a guy gives his wife an expensive diamond necklace (which is fine if you can do it)....the woman is squealing to her friend "He went to JARED!!!!!"
Like as if , if your significant other didn't get your jewelry at Jared and spent a ton of money, well....it isn't quite "up to par".
It made me think back to when I first got married. We were very young, and he worked twelve hour shifts at a plant, and I worked as a cashier, but we struggled to pay the bills regardless. We really didn't have money for presents, but he came home with a little box, that I could see he took great care to wrap to the best of his ability.....he had bought me a necklace from the local dollar store (it still had the sticker on it:lol
It was a dolphin (one of my favorite animals). I was so touched, not only that he thought of me... (even if it WAS only a few dollars), but that he even picked out the dolphin, which he KNEW I loved. I never felt a feeling in my heart as strong as in that moment, and it had NOTHING to do with him "going to Jared"
. Yes, I know, it's only a commercial, but the point I am trying to make is this. That necklace is priceless to me. I still have it 10 years later. A simple act from the heart has more value than anything you can put a price tag on. He passed away a year after that.....and that is a memory I will always cherish. So when you give from the heart (not being told to, and for the sheer joy of seeing another person smile) you are doing it for the right reasons. Giving food to a hungry person is the same motivation. Uggggh.....I hope that made sense....It's so hard for me to express what I really want to say. I hope you understand what I mean.

edit on 11/20/2011 by StealthyKat because: added content

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join