It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Demonstrations' to be banned during Olympics'

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I wonder what excuse they would use if the OWSers and protesters alike all taped their mouths shut and expressed what they felt on t-shirts and signs...

Would they strip them down or arrest them?

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
reply to post by Anthropormorphic

Want peace? Then work for Justice!

Demonstrations may be banned but they will happen anyway. They will be violent and bloody and we will be able to watch it on the www. even though main stream news sources will try and spin it to keep the sponsors happy.

The ordinary citizen is sick and tired of the fascists oppression that is increasingly being forced upon them.

The frog has jumped out of the pot and is very angry.

Here is what to expect....click on the video

www.aljazeera.com...

edit on 20-11-2011 by whaaa because: (no reason given)

Oh puleeeze.

I think it's going to get to the point where average citizens gets so tired of the chest thumping anarchists railing against the world and how it is cheating them, that eventually people who normally go about their business actually toiling to make the world better, are going to start fighting those people who sit around marching about how to make the world better ( for them).

I work for doctors without borders. I don't have time to march or camp out. We can argue as to who is "bringing justice" to the world more effectively.
edit on 20-11-2011 by Anthropormorphic because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
It is perfectly understandable that the UK security apparatus would step into overdrive for the Olympics. Breaking into people's houses to seize posters is excessive, (intentionally) disturbingly so, but there is quite clearly very little tangible benefit to be gained from doing this and I would be surprised if it actually happened.

I believe that these 'powers' were introduced predominantly to deter as opposed to being a sensible response to any potential protests. Deterrence is vital because the UK hasn't got the resources to devote to noisy protests while such a massive event is taking place. The problem is that it would encourage those who are more determined to make a point than they are afraid of the prospect of being arrested or police breaking into their house.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Obviously the ptb are getting hysterical and scared by the prospect of their being punished for huge misconduct they have performed. They have just admitted that war between them and the rest of humanity exists.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Soshh

While I understand where you are coming from I can not help but consider how they have behaved in recent years in relation to similar powers...

Especially when you take into account how the current anti-terror laws have been used to spy on the number of hours cleaners work, or if people are smoking outside pubs or to check if you're cleaning up your dogs poop.. not exactly in the spirit of preventing terrorism.

All in all it seems clear to me they not only use these powers to their fullest extent but they seem to find a myriad of ways to miss use them and I fear the same will be true with any extra power they trot out in relation to the Olympics.
edit on 20/11/11 by thoughtsfull because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
The authorities have all the rights one can conceive. For themselves. They can use any action we perform against us, as a proof we are threatening the "order". And if we resist, we are in for a long ride. This is now being systematically applied and the moment is not far when everyone will come out and take a stand. It is inevitable. No matter what propaganda is being used, this moment is being built in the area of subconsciousness and cannot be fooled or dulled.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by g146541

Im sure im nipicking, but im not sure having a constitution benefits us much either. I do believe its only a matter of time before it happens in usa. Everyone will say not on my watch, and gun-cold dead fingers and all the other expressions, except we have done nothing while we attacked innocent countries, surveiled and imprisioned and even assasinated american citizens, then assualted and killed veterans for speaking up through protest. I dont know what it will take to get us to try to stop it, but I dont see it happening, whatever it is.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by eazyriderl_l
reply to post by g146541

Im sure im nipicking, but im not sure having a constitution benefits us much either. I do believe its only a matter of time before it happens in usa. Everyone will say not on my watch, and gun-cold dead fingers and all the other expressions, except we have done nothing while we attacked innocent countries, surveiled and imprisioned and even assasinated american citizens, then assualted and killed veterans for speaking up through protest. I dont know what it will take to get us to try to stop it, but I dont see it happening, whatever it is.

Yeah, the only differance is that in the US, they tend to take smaller bites because they want us to think it was our idea, that way they can feel justified calling any sort of revolution a "terrorist attack by insurgents".

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by DoctorSatan
there is the reasoning for banning public protests during the olympics.
they can get voilent at times at UK will be screwed if say one of America's or China's or for that any other country's athelete gets injured in such a protest. There are diplomatic relationships to take care for after all.

Garbage. Lets lock everyone up then in case someone commits some stupid act. You ever heard of free will? If you let people control you, you are a slave. Sickening that people are willing to accept this.

People will protest anyway - it's fast approaching the time that people don't care what bs law is passed.
edit on 20-11-2011 by kcoyote because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by TinkerHaus

Originally posted by WarminIndy

ETA: FYI, there is almost ALWAYS scandal with every round of the Olympics. I live in a former Olympic City (Winter Olympics 2002) - take a look at the bribery scandal and what events occurred to actually bring the Olympics here.. All on my dollar. The Olympics is most definitely a POLITICAL event.

edit on 20-11-2011 by TinkerHaus because: (no reason given)

Political things that happened in the Olympics....

The question is, can't we just appreciate the athletes themselves for what they represent? Can't we just be glad for the athletes who work very hard to get where they are? WE make it political when WE only want to see politics. Cheer the athletes, is that too hard to ask?

Nadia Comaneci, Jesse Owens, Wilma Rudolph, Sugar Ray Leonard, just a couple of athletes that transcended politics to represent their nations after working hard to get the gold. This is what the Olympics should be about, not the constant blame on sponsors and the IOC. Cheer them on, give them something to represent.

BTW, Salt Lake City Winter Olympics opening with Robbie Robertson was awesome...

edit on 11/20/2011 by WarminIndy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   
So instead of listening to the protesters and trying to work with them to come up with solutions for the reasons they're out on the streets in the first place, they're just gonna shut them up? The games are still more than a half a year away and this is their plan? Such a long time away, so much could be done but instead they're just gonna keep it the way it is?

WHAT A BACKWARDS WORLD WE LIVE IN.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 04:02 AM
link   
I warned a while back that the Olympics being awarded to London, would be the nail in the coffin for democracy in the UK. And I have been proven correct.

If the government thinks it will stop any protests, it will make people more determined to do it. It would be rather funny, if the crowd at the Olympic park booed at any country they did not like. How would the authorities, react to that, force them to put tape over their mouths?

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 04:05 AM
link   
reply to post by SmArTbEaTz

Well if you remember back to the Iraq war, there were a lot of people going about wearing t-shirts which stated, Balls to Blair, that was even made an offense to wear. Anyone caught wearing the T-shirts had a choice, either change their tops there, or be arrested, if they refused to do so.

You know what the saddest part about all of this is. People will fall for the Governments lies.

They should have a welcome sign at every airport in the UK now stating:

Welcome to the Police State UK.
edit on 21-11-2011 by AnonymousFem because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 06:33 AM
link   
One would have thought any, legislation the Government tries to introduce, can be challenged in a court of Law. Wither they have legitimacy in implementing these powers, or are these new laws an infringement on Democracy itself.

Would be interesting to challenge this in the courts.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by g146541

Britain is a Constitutional Monarchy and does have a Constitution - albeit not written in one specific document, like the US.
Our freedoms and rights are detailed in the Magna Carta and the Bill of Rights, amongst others.
Sadly they have been trampled on by a succession of treasonous politicians.
I am a member of the British Constitution Group, whose website can be found here -

www.thebcgroup.org.uk...

Here is the mission statement -

'''... We, the British People have a right to govern ourselves. That right has been subjugated as a consequence of acts of treason having been committed by the collective political establishment, aided and abetted by corrupt segments of the judiciary, the police, the Church and the civil service.

Furthermore, Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, whose position has been usurped by a corrupt House of Commons and who has been forced into the destruction of her Kingdom and the breaking of her coronation oath, no longer governs us in accordance with our laws and customs, as was the situation when she was elected by the people as our Sovereign and our Head of State.

Why Her Majesty has failed in her duty is not for us to judge at this point in time - Her Majesty has however been made aware of the situation and is now duty bound to make amends.

A political elite has for some time manipulated the electoral system to deprive the people of true democratic representation by constructing a party political system that has allowed, indeed encouraged, acts of treason to have been committed.

As a direct consequence of the betrayal of the British people by the collective political establishment, and others, the British Constitution Group is calling for Lawful Rebellion, as is our right under article 61 Magna Carta 1215.

Too many politicians pay lip-service to the principles of democracy whilst serving the interests of self and party, which has allowed patronage, greed and corruption to infect our system of governance to levels beyond anything that could be imagined or accepted by the British people. Whereas the British people have expected that the good elements within our system of governance would control and rein in the bad, it is now perfectly clear that rather than expose corruption and greed, the good elements have themselves become infected and corrupt...'

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by SmArTbEaTz
I agree... however... that gives them no right to enter people's PRIVATE residences to tear down political posters. We are not in Hitler's Germany, this is London, UK we are talking about. The only difference is the year and uniforms I guess then right?

The difference is that the the former were actually competent.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed

"Police have been given enhanced powers to act against protests at the Olympics since the Games were awarded to London six years ago, including the right to enter private homes and seize political posters. "

That is insane! According to this they can bust into your home for political posters. I wonder what other rights they have been given under these laws.

www.independent.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 20-11-2011 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

The thing is, UK citizens aren't really a walk over, and i think if police start abusing this law, the public with retaliate and it will be far worse for the police and UK government. It will be a high profile event, with many camera's going about and if ANY protests break out, it could become very ugly, very quickly...

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by jrmcleod

I'm glad to hear that the UK people would stand up to this if needed. I hear so much about the surveillance over there that I have been conditioned to picture the UK as a police state. A lot of the news that comes out of there can be disturbing.

Thank you for the different perspective.

Cheers.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join