It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Explosion Reported at LAX, Airport Closed, Reported Bomb Threat

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2004 @ 12:17 PM
link   
netbound...

Do you see flights in arriving/departing?

Also, can you please find out information on the "three airports" reported by the FAA man on FOX to be closed down in the area? One was Hollywood airport, but I did not catch the name of the other.

We need confirmation of closing and any reported reason for same.

Thanks for any help you can give.

posted on Sep, 4 2004 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Sounds more like a stupid college prank...

posted on Sep, 4 2004 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Unconfirmed reports say a torch exploded. Officials did not comment on reports of injuries. There were no details on the second incident.

Three terminals in the Tom Bradley International Terminal were evacuated. Planes were being allowed to land, but not to take off, a spokesman said.

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Sep, 4 2004 @ 12:33 PM
link   
More broo ha ha for an otherwise fine holiday weekend

posted on Sep, 4 2004 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Why is ABC affiliate ABC7 in LA reporting "massive LAPD response" if there is nothing but a bomb scare at this point, or a mismatched bag?

posted on Sep, 4 2004 @ 12:39 PM
link   
valhall,

The closest airports around lax are santa monica airport and van nuys airport. santa monica airport is open, but it's not a commercial airport. I could get no human on the phone at van nuys airport, only the automated service, so I'm not sure about it.

Still no planes taking off from lax at 10:45 am pst ...

posted on Sep, 4 2004 @ 12:43 PM
link   
thanks netbound. Please keep us up to date. Your proximity will be invaluable.

posted on Sep, 4 2004 @ 12:44 PM
link   
msnbc just reported that incident is not thought to be terrorist related. It was a flashlight that "combusted". airport still shutdown at 10:50 am pst ...

posted on Sep, 4 2004 @ 12:45 PM
link   
We have been monitoring ABC7 LAX cam. Images were updating every 3 minutes. Until 10 minutes ago. At that time it was looking at a commercial aircraft on the tarmac. It switched to what appears to be away from the airport and has not updated since.

abclocal.go.com...

posted on Sep, 4 2004 @ 12:46 PM
link   
you're welcome, Valhall. I'll let you know once I see any flight activity ...

[edit on 9/4/2004 by netbound]

link   

Originally posted by netbound
valhall,

The closest airports around lax are santa monica airport and van nuys airport. santa monica airport is open, but it's not a commercial airport. I could get no human on the phone at van nuys airport, only the automated service, so I'm not sure about it.

Don't forget Burbank Airport. I'm not sure if they're flying out or not.

link   
Okay, it just updated again.

posted on Sep, 4 2004 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Valhall, I heard on FOX when they said three airports were shut down too. Not surprisingly, I think they were just trying to make things sound worse than they are. Two of the airports they mentioned were not closed due to what is taking place at LAX. They were Hollywood(Florida) and I think Miami and of course are closed because of the approaching Hurricane.

posted on Sep, 4 2004 @ 12:50 PM
link   
LA Times has just updated their story to CONTRADICT the Homeland Security denial of NO explosion. They are confirming the "flashlight battery explosion" at this point.

You'll need a free subscription:

www.latimes.com...

Viray had no additional information about the security breach but said the scare at the international terminal apparently came when a flashlight battery exploded as it was being screened by a Transportation Security Administration worker.

"When it was going through screening, the TSA individual touched it and at that point it exploded," she said.

posted on Sep, 4 2004 @ 12:50 PM
link   
hmmm....
the "flashlight that combusted" sounds a bit rediculous....
wonder if there is any validity to the massive LAPD presence?

please keep us all posted, guys...not everyone has cable....thanks

LL1

posted on Sep, 4 2004 @ 12:51 PM
link   
The batteries under wheelchairs, can be explosive, but a flashlight???

posted on Sep, 4 2004 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Garon, thanks. I forgot about Burbank (Bob Hope Airport). They're open as usual.

posted on Sep, 4 2004 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by deeozz
Valhall, I heard on FOX when they said three airports were shut down too. Not surprisingly, I think they were just trying to make things sound worse than they are. Two of the airports they mentioned were not closed due to what is taking place at LAX. They were Hollywood(Florida) and I think Miami and of course are closed because of the approaching Hurricane.

deeozz...thank you for the clarification. That sounds logical. But it was the FAA guy that stated this, so it wasn't FOX trying to hype. But, thanks, I bet your right, that the "Hollywood" airport was, indeed, Hollywood, FL, not CA.

posted on Sep, 4 2004 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Val, I must have seen a different segment, the one I saw was Sheppard Smith, not the FAA guy. My step brother lives about ten minutes from LAX, I'm trying to call him to see if he knows anything we don't.

LL1

posted on Sep, 4 2004 @ 12:57 PM
link   
The numbers of the terminals that were selected are interesting, but it may all just be a security breach.

EDITED OUT PIC LINK SO THAT ATS DOESN'T KILL SOME ONE'S SERVER. WE NOW HAVE THIS PIC ON ATS SERVER...SEE NERDLING'S POST TO FOLLOW.

[edit on 9-4-2004 by Valhall]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join