It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DARPA’s Developing Sensors to Track You by Your Heartbeat

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Currently under development by the Department of Defense's research arm, the sensors will listen for a suspect's individual pulse using electrocardiography and will be able to track up to 10 suspects at a distance of over 10 meters. No physical contact with the subject is necessary, nor is line-of-sight. It is also being designed to penetrate walls, floors, and doors—even concrete—to track individuals in dense urban settings. Hiding—behind walls, under floors, or in crowds—is no longer an effective means of escape.

You can run, but can you hide? Why not spend the money on our failing economy, the homeless, starving, etc? Nah, let's spend all this money on hide and seek games.

Source

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 07:09 AM
link   
reply to post by KEMIK

Anything they tell us is in development was placed into operation decades ago and has now been rendered obsolete by newer and better technology.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Hmmmm....well mixed feeling here. I hate that every day, we are losing a little more privacy etc....HOWEVER, if they are trying to nab a crazy guy with a dirty bomb in a dense city...I could see how it would come in handy. A necessary evil. It's sad that our world has come to this, but it has.

link   
wont work on everyone.. ones heart, respiratory and pulse rates can be controlled... takes time and alot of practice to do but once learned can be done without conscious thought..

Interesting concept and most could be tracked that way .. but not all ..

link   
If darpa can collect a signal from somenes heart does this not mean the energy from the device must interact with the heart itself. This can therefore in the wrong hands could be quite a dangerous weapon able to give people a heart attack?

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 07:15 AM
link   
I'm not surprised. Maybe they got the idea from Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2. You use them in one mission in a blizzard. They were a big help, so I don't blame them for wanting to develop something like this.

I see what your saying though, the gov could be spending the money to help people instead.

The Modern Warfare games use real existing weaponry, so I thought they already had this stuff.
Thanks for bringing this.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 07:16 AM
link   
reply to post by jcord

Funny you mentioned that. I read something from a DARPA budget justification that mentioned sensors that can be placed around a structure and use sonar to identify how many occupants are in it and where. There was a commercial about a show that features it, and it was in development in 2007. I'm trying to find the page now.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 07:20 AM
link   
1, its called a proximity sensor and they invented it back in the war, commonly used in theremin devices, and 2, darpa have been playing too much COD. infact they have been playing too much period, i've seen video's of darpa testing mechs, to a certain extent (a running robot.)

anyone recalling COD will probably also remember relying on the heartbeat sensor is the easiest way to get noobed from behind, not to mention army can see through walls so why the need for such a small signal in comparison?

ed: on a side note and a happy one weirdly, this is yet further irrefutable proof that the human body emits an electromagnetic field.
edit on 20/11/2011 by whatsinaname because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by TheMindWar

I believe it works in the same way an ECG does.

Electrocardiography (ECG or EKG from the German Elektrokardiogramm) is a transthoracic (across the thorax or chest) interpretation of the electrical activity of the heart over a period of time, as detected by electrodes attached to the outer surface of the skin and recorded by a device external to the body.[1] The recording produced by this noninvasive procedure is termed an electrocardiogram (also ECG or EKG).

Wikipedia

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 07:22 AM
link   
reply to post by KEMIK

I recently had an ECG, they don't work at a distance, this is new skool. (the signal reading part of the process I imagine will be similar but not the sensing)
edit on 20/11/2011 by whatsinaname because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by whatsinaname

I stand corrected.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by BoneMosaic
I'm not surprised. Maybe they got the idea from Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2. You use them in one mission in a blizzard. They were a big help, so I don't blame them for wanting to develop something like this.

I see what your saying though, the gov could be spending the money to help people instead.

The Modern Warfare games use real existing weaponry, so I thought they already had this stuff.
Thanks for bringing this.

It is more likely the developers for COD caught wind of pre-existing technology. Regarding secret defense tech, as someone else mentioned, it is usually gone through development and testing before the public hears about it.

The heartbeat monitor seemed a little out there, the first time I used it in the game. Not believing the possibility of it seems a little foolish now though...

new topics

top topics

join