It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

computer problem - clicks take too long to action

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 04:37 AM
link   
When I visit a website like ATS pages take a long time to open and when I click an action such as go back from a open post to the index, it takes far too long to happen and sometime clicking an action auch as the backward arrow just dosent do anything.

I use XP with firefox

My antiviris doesnt show anything even after update and deep scans. Any suggestions appreciated, thanks

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 04:41 AM
link   
ever since upgrading my firefox (win 7), I too have to press f5 sometimes to get a page to load. It is awful annoying. I thinik it just may be a bad thing on firefoxes end to be honest. I'll sit there for a while to see if it will load (and this is all over the web, not just here) and finally an f5 will cause the page to load.

Sometimes too nothing will work unless I move my finger on the touch pad (some people have to move their mouse). It's really odd.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 04:48 AM
link   
ditto. recent topics takes forever.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 05:00 AM
link   
Download and run this 'deep care option' Its very fast to install and use and is the best free software you will ever find
download.cnet.com...

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 05:15 AM
link   
reply to post by bussoboy

That sounds like a browser issue. Determine what browser you have, check what add on you have and remove some if need be, if using IE, install firefox or chrome to see if that helps. Other than that try reinstalling the browser. Check what other applications maybe accessing the net

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 05:22 AM
link   
I've used firefox for years I was one of the early adopters after having numerous issues with it lately I switched to chrome and never looked back.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 05:34 AM
link   

What are the specs of your machine? Processor, RAM , video card, network type and speed?

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Also try clearing your history etc. Sometimes a slowing down PC/Laptop does what you're mentioning. But I would highly recommend you moving to Chrome, it's heaven. I used firefox a lot before, but after a bit the fire left and only the fox was left behind ... So I moved!

edit on 20/11/11 by faryjay because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 06:25 AM
link   
Also check out Malwarebytes Anti Malware. Your computer could be infected and sending out tons of spam, or part of a DOS attack thus hogging your bandwith. If that's no good then try a system restore to before the problem started. Not too sure about google chrome, i'm sure you will find threads on here about that. If you want to try a small tidy browser, try Opera.

Good Luck

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by bussoboy
When I visit a website like ATS pages take a long time to open and when I click an action such as go back from a open post to the index, it takes far too long to happen and sometime clicking an action auch as the backward arrow just dosent do anything.

I use XP with firefox

My antiviris doesnt show anything even after update and deep scans. Any suggestions appreciated, thanks

1. Download Malwarebytes
2. Boot into safe mode, launch MWB, update it, run a scan
3. Boot into regular mode. Run another scan.
4. Download Firefox
5. Install NoScript, TACO with Abine (or just Abine), and AdBlocker
6. If you are using McAfee or Norton, dump it. It is better to use Kaspersky. Or download the free Comodo at the very least.

If that don't fix it, pay someone to fix it for you (even if they just nuke/pave, unless you have the disks to do it yourself).

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by sarra1833
ever since upgrading my firefox (win 7), I too have to press f5 sometimes to get a page to load. It is awful annoying. I thinik it just may be a bad thing on firefoxes end to be honest. I'll sit there for a while to see if it will load (and this is all over the web, not just here) and finally an f5 will cause the page to load.

Sometimes too nothing will work unless I move my finger on the touch pad (some people have to move their mouse). It's really odd.

The new versions of FF (post 4) are resource hogs. They take up massive amounts of memory.

Another problem I have found is the IpV6 settings can cause the slow load problems. Especially on the Ubuntu boxes I have.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I to have recently had issues with latency online, and it turned out it was a new Peer to peer program that was installed secretly while installing an online free game.

Its called "Pando media booster" and it works exactly like a torret program except it is always running and allows for hundreds - thousands of people to each take a piece of your bandwidth while they're downloading something that you already have downloaded in the past. Thus you will eventually start to run into latency issues after having this program installed for a long time.

Solution: just delete/uninstall Pando media booster and restart.

If this isn't the case then you could have a multitude of programs that "auto run when you start your computer". To check this look into your task manager and under processes, try to look for the programs that are using the most "CPU" Identify the program and make sure you actually need it running or not than cancel the program accordingly.

In order to keep these types of programs from starting up when you turn on your computer, open up task manager and go to services, then click the services icon and choose which programs will open upon start up.

hope this helps

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   

I use XP with firefox

I just signed up here and only have posted on one thread so far (introductions), but I work with computers every day and I would like to help you. On the Passmark website I am currently ranked 15 but I will be ranked 12 when he updates the site tonight. I hope that will help you feel that I am not steering you in the wrong direction. I have a few questions that I would like you to answer so I can give you an easy to follow, step by step solution.

1) Are you using XP Service Pack 3?
2) Please go to this external website and download "CCleaner" and "Speccy." www.piriform.com...
They have a 100% free version of each program on the left side of the downloads page that is free of unwanted items. When installing, please be sure to Un-Check any of the toolbars or other offers as options. You just want the program, not another toolbar. However I don't complain because those are what keep the programs free.
3) Please open Speccy and cut and paste the information about your system. You don't need to do every little detail, but definitely the CPU (Temperature, Speed, Brand, etc), RAM (amount, speed, timings), and Hard Disk (Size, Amount free, Temperature). Please also record the temperature of the Motherboard and any other temps available to you.
4) I would like to know your upload and download speeds. External website is: www.speedtest.net...
Be careful and only click on the green rectangle that says "Begin Test." They have other buttons on there that try to trick you into thinking that starts the speed test. They are not malicious and that is what keeps it free, but you don't need that stuff. Don't move the mouse and close all programs except your browser. The test will run your download speed first, then upload speed. Results are reported to you in Mbps or "Mega-bits per second." For example, if the program reports 24Mbps download and 4Mbps upload, that is 3 Mega-Bytes down and 0.5 Mega-Bytes up.
5) There is a possibility that the Graphical User Interface will not come up on your browser if you do not have Java on your system. If that is the case, it is very user-friendly to upgrade. The link will be made available to you.
6) Click Start --> Control Panel. Select - Performance and Maintenance, and then click System.
7) Select the tab that says "Advanced" and under the Performance section, click Settings
8) Select the tab that says "Advanced" again, you will see "Virtual Memory." Select the "Change" button and record the values.
9) Cancel all those windows out so nothing changes yet.
10) If you can get me this information, I will give you a step by step solution. If it doesn't work I will have other options. If I cannot get to the bottom of your issue, I know someone who can and I will ask them for guidance.

Looking forward to helping you. Hope to hear from you soon!

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan

1. Download Malwarebytes
2. Boot into safe mode, launch MWB, update it, run a scan
3. Boot into regular mode. Run another scan.
4. Download Firefox
5. Install NoScript, TACO with Abine (or just Abine), and AdBlocker
6. If you are using McAfee or Norton, dump it. It is better to use Kaspersky. Or download the free Comodo at the very least.

If that don't fix it, pay someone to fix it for you (even if they just nuke/pave, unless you have the disks to do it yourself).

This is exactly what I would suggest as well, but if that still doesn't work I would investigate your RAM and internet connection. A busted RAM can cause applications to run pretty slow and I would speed test your internet connection to see if it's where it should be. If not then reset your modem and/or call your internet provider and have them reset your connection on their end.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Hello, friend. Here is a good tip for ya: Download and install CCleaner. Go to Registry Option and clean the registry, then run the cleaner itself and delete all temp, *temp*, TEMP, and all encrypted HTML cookies. Reboot, and you will see a difference in speed.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan

I use XP with firefox

I wouldn't suggest using Comodo. Their firewall might be the best on the market but you can't run other products while using it like MS Essentials, Spybot, and Malwarebytes while using their product. In fact, you can't even install Comodo with any of these other products already on the machine. I would never put all my security measures on just using "one" product. I have witnessed many incidents where a scan of one program doesn't detect a scan of another program. People laugh at MS Essentials, but I have seen AVG, Malwarebytes, spybot, and SuperAntispyware all scan the system and come back clean, to only watch MS Essentials detect something highly dangerous on the system. Not to mention that Comodo is a nightmare to uninstall once you install it on your system.

I haven't found a good solution to replace Comodo's firewall, as I just put ZoneAlarm on, and it drastically cuts my bandwith down. It isn't even worth using IMO because of how slow it slows the system down so I got rid of it.

I just wouldn't rely on using Comodo if you plan to use other applications like the ones mentioned.

Also, Kasperky has the same problem. I just went to switch from AVG to Kasperky recently and it won't install with Essentials and Spybot running on the machine. Just my opinion, but I wouldn't leave protection to just one product.

Malwarebytes
Spybot
AVG
SuperAntispyware
MS Essentials
and using the firewall in AVG for now until I can find a better solution than ZoneAlarm (have router so not to concerned)

It may be overkill, but like I mentioned, I have been running all these programs for a long time together, and I have often see 80% of them fail to detect and only one did during scans.

Just thought I would put my 2 cents in

edit on 20-11-2011 by Awoken4Ever because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Awoken4Ever

Untrue. I just installed Comodo onto a machine with Malwarebytes on Friday.

The best feature of Comodo, IMO, is the sandbox feature.

And not many xp users are running security essentials.

To the user who recommended CCleaner....absolutely. Run it in safe mode first, then in regular mode.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Maybe it wasn't with Malwarebytes, but I know it can't be installed with Spybot and Essentials. You can't even disable them and install it, it has to be completely removed from the machine.

I respect your thoughts about that product. I just wouldn't leave so many functions dependent on one product is all. That is just me though.

Again, I never trust just one product alone. CCleaner is great if you are not neurotic about cleaning your tracks. If you are neurotic, I would suggest also getting a copy Wipe2011 and paying the $9 bucks to unlock it. CCleaner is good for majority of stuff, but it doesn't cover everything. If you doubt me, get the free version of Wipe and run it after your done using CCleaner, and notice there is still internet files left in your temp directory that CCleaner didn't get. If you just want a general cleaning of things, CCleaner is fine. If you want to scrub things down, change the settings in CCleaner to a higher pass rate (CCleanerOptionsSecure Deletion) this way files are permanently destroyed. Then use the registered version of Wipe (Wipe2011Delete method) and change it to something higher than "one pass anti-recovery." Wipe is good because it will also clean applications that CCleaner doesn't cover.

If you are not worried about files being recoverable, and just want a basic cleaning of things, CCleaner is just fine with standard options.

edit on 20-11-2011 by Awoken4Ever because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Awoken4Ever

LOL, my opinion is ignorant in this matter. I am just relaying what has worked for me. I am a business manager (currently a "CFO" type job role, and less operational than in the past).

Wipe2011...a guy who actually does computer repair that I know uses this program.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   
I definitely wouldn't call you ignorant
I learned something from you (putting it in safemode first). Just different ways of looking at it. Paranoid mode and normal mode. I was giving the paranoid version of it. Your way is great if you don't have a lot of concerns.

Cheers

top topics

<<   2 >>

join