It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Train-hopping

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   
A buddy and I are about to move from Ohio to Phoenix within the next month. We both have a limited amount of money right now but just enough to cover general expenses until we get settled in. We talked about hitchhiking our way across the country, but if that fails we might just... jump on a freight train as its leaving a depot. I hear a lot of people talk about this and it sounds like a fun way to travel. Of course there are legal and hazard issues to consider, but if I end up in prison just for riding on a train- I don't want to be part of that kind of society, anyway.

I'm pretty much just curious if any of you have done this before.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by BirdOfillOmen

And what would be the point of that my friend. You are not only going to risk yours but your friends life in danger, being in prison is not worth it. You should maybe hike across the country, it might be one hell of an experience!

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Hope you have a nice adventure you can talk about the rest of your life. I envy you!

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Unvarnished

I'd like to walk across a few states but I know my friend wouldn't want to do that, lol.

I wouldn't be jumping off of a moving train; and I'd be hopping on when its stationary. And I live in a rural area so I wouldn't have to worry about rabid crackheads right off the bat.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
I've done it before and it is an experience of a lifetime.
Dont listen to other people, its your choice if you want to risk it but as long as you are smart youll be fine. Just try not to get caught i guess.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Empty boxcars are a rough ride. Lots of rocking side to side, especially at high rates of speed. If you can get a string hammock, it would make the ride that much smoother. Also, have a railroad spike with you, so you can jam it into the tracks of the boxcar door (if you choose to ride in one) so the door doesn't slide closed on you, trapping you inside.
Be careful. It isn't only crackheads and other "railroad bums" you have to worry about link

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Do you know any long haul drivers? if you are willing to hop trains..maybe it might be safer to hang out at the local truck stop and hitch a ride with a trucker???
IDK just a thought...Stay safe Cheers Coco

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Absolutely. Lots of people still do it to the chagrin of the "Awthoratay". I lived under a bridge for a number of years right near a depot and met a lot of people that travelled the country just like you are planning to. There is a whole sub culture built around it that passes "unknown" thru the night.

Allow me to elaborate. There are things I don't know about it and a few I do. You need to find a stock or switching yard that puts together train cars in long strings that head out. This process is evident because it involves building a length of cars that contain the cargo by backing up the engine, gathering a few cars then pulling forward, and backing again and again until the string of cars is complete. If you wait just outside the yard on the spar you want to travel on (It helps to know the destination of the track you want to travel on) you can see that a train is building by watching one pull forward and back until it is ready. Then they leave. Don't stand near the train like you are waiting for they might spot you. Watching the train build also gives you time to decide which car you ride on. Once it is ready it sits for a bit, then takes off right away, and that is the moment you break cover and jump on. Careful of the brake air lines between the cars. Don't step on them when clambering aboard or crossing the tracks they will disconnect with a terrible hiss and bring the train to a halt causing a lot of frustration on the part of the yard workers who have then to inspect every car to find the broken line. If they find you you may be in trouble.

Having a partner is good, travel together to watch each others back. Find out from "homeless" camps or other travelers you meet where trains run and change direction, the friendliest and worst places to visit and stay are.
Stay pretty much hunkered down while you travel and never ride inside an open box car, those are traps to draw you in. If they find you, they lock you in and notify authorities down the line. Get off once it reaches its destination before it pulls into the yard so you don't get stuck in the yard and caught. You can walk in the few miles to town and stay out of jail or the hospital. Travel light, bring water enough in case you get side tracked from your destination. Learn from others who know.

Now go have an adventure...

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   
My suggestion: keep a journal, it will make a great book one day!

new topics

top topics

join