It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Some Parents Having To Tell Their Kids Santa Does Exist This Year.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+28 more 
posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I went to town today, and bumped into a friend I haven't spoke to in a while. She was very cordial, as she always is, and I asked her how things are. She was reluctant at first, but then teared up a bit, and told me that she still hasn't found work, and the holidays are going to be tough this year.

I stayed quiet, as she seemed to have to get this off her chest, and didn't feel good to tell many people. She them told me that she has to tell her kids that santa doesn't exist, so that they didn't feel like they were bad when there aren't any presents under the tree this year.

I felt this empty feeling in my chest. Not because of the santa thing, but that she felt like she was letting her kids down. I guess with all that is going on, and the fact that I dont celebrate the holidays, it didn't really dawn on me that some people that for whatever reason they have they celebrate christmas, that this year was going to be quite different.

I asked her where she car was parked so that we can exchange numbers, she told me row 3. I then took half of my groceries put them back, and went to the toy section, and bought 2 toys. I waited by her car, and handed her the gifts (though I just wanted to leave them in the car without her knowing, the doors were locked), I gave her the toys, and told her that I knew this wouldn't cover it, but in no way shape or form should someone have to feel like they aren't good enough parents.

My 2 daughters were with me, and we briefly talked and made this decision together, and it made them feel good. They asked me if we could do this again. I told them of course we can. I hugged them, and we went home.

This isn't to say that I did something nice today, but to remind people that while I watch people trample each other over gifts, that some people cant do anything this year.

If you can donate at least a can for a shelter, or a gift, or even a small donation, this would be a great help to those in need this year. Involve your kids, maybe take one gift from you own, and drop it off at a salvation army.

I'm tearing up as I write this, and I know that though we cant help everyone, that helping at least one person, is a wonderful thing.

Thanks for listening, and Peace, NRE.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Completly agree, its not so much to do with wages not going up but instead the price of living here in the UK.

We are being squeezed at the petrol pumps $2 a litre of unleaded
Car insurance is up 35%
Food prices are through the roof also

Quite one for my family aswell this one, present are only being bought for the kids this year in my family

P.s, forgot to mention home heating oil $1000 for 500litres, and electric/gas has risen 17% twice over in the last year to boot.
edit on 19-11-2011 by michaelmcclen because: elaborated

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Wow, you are amazing. I'm all choked up about this story. I have no other words than just amazing.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Here in the US we have an organization
called "Toys For Tots". Where I use
to live a person could drop off toys
at the court house and they were
distributed to children in the area.
Someone has to put their name and ages
the list but that about it. It helps so
many who cannot afford toys for
their kids at Christmas.

Perhaps there is an organization
such as this in your country or
state. Call your local charity
organizations they will be able to
tell you.
I don't celebrate Christmas myself,
at least not in a big way. But I do
believe every child is entitled to some
presents under the tree.

Thank you for helping OP - a wonderful
giving heart you have - you have shown
a good thing to your children as well.

edit on 19-11-2011 by crazydaisy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   
our kids know santa does not exsist regardless of cash flow, they know it is us that buys them presents, they know what they get is based on our cash flow. this way if they do not get much they know we did'nt have much to spend.

the only reason parents feel lousy for not being able to afford to buy their kids things is because of the brainwashing and marketing around christmas. you are meant to feel bad so you spend, spend, spend. but the fact is you can still have a enjoyable christmas without all the retail gifts and buying things does not make you a good parent so she should stop thinking that.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   
I never told my kids that Santa exists, I told them that it's a tradition and that it's a fun way to enjoy the holiday and grant gifts to each other.

My kids know that it is not real, but they do not tell other kids about this because I have taught my children to respect the practices and beliefs of other people.

I have discovered that the television and other people keep convincing my kids of the opposite and they continually ask me "are you sure Santa isn't real?" and I reply yes, but please do not argue with others because that is their tradition.

The main reasoning behind me telling them "these presents are from mommy and daddy, or grandma and grandpa" is because I do not like to tell them untruths and then face having to correct that later on in life.

I remember when I was a kid it was heartbreaking to discover the reality. I was very disappointed and felt betrayed. So I will not put my kids through that.

With that said, my children are going to have a wonderful holiday season with what very little we can manage to gift them. I don't want them to feel left out, because I know the other kids will insult them and cause trouble about it. But at the same time I don't give them very much because I want them to respect what little they do have. I understand it's very difficult to avoid spoiling a child, but every effort helps.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Here in Seattle, at Seattle Center, from Nov. 5-Dec 18th they have a Christmas tree with wishlists from local low-income children, teens and senior citizens that you can choose from if you want to donate, its called 'Sharing Gift Box.'

Last year, I chose a wishlist from an elderly man and all he asked for were socks, gloves and a coat. I saw that had also written 'Starbucks Gift Card', but then crossed it out, thinking that warmth was first priority. I asked my family to donate five or ten dollars to add to the little money I had instead of buying presents for me because I can honestly say that I have everything I could want or need, more than I need in fact. I am always just happy to spend time with my family, I don't need gifts. In the end I raised $75; I bought him a pack of warm socks, gloves, a hat, a warm sweater, a nice peacoat from my friend and a $15 Starbucks gift card. I was so grateful to get all the help from my family and friends, and just to know that someone out there is warmer than he was before makes me smile.

Here is the site if you live in Seattle and would like to help

www.sharing-gift-box.org...
edit on 19-11-2011 by InThisTwilight because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
I, in no way, want to belittle what you did. I think that it was great. But I also think that it is so sad that we have commercialized Christmas so much that parents have to feel terrible about themselves or choose whether or not to allow their kids to believe that they are "bad" simply because they do not have the money to provide for the usual Christmas presents. Maybe the best Christmas present of all would be to explain to your kids the real meaning of Christmas.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   
I want to thank you all for your replies, and suggestions for charities. As I stated I personally dont believe in christmas, but I dont decide how people raise their children. I just felt so bad, that she had to not only have to break something to her kids that she had never had to do before, but she is taking it on her shoulders.

I wish I could just go to her house, and take full blame, or blurt it out "accidentally", so that she wouldn't have to.

I never told my kids about santa, and as another poster pointed it, its hard to do that with younger children when every time they turn around there is a santa, reindeer, or a christmas special on.

I told my kids that this was something that some people believe in, and gifts are exchanged, but at our house, we shared together, because no stranger, from the north pole knows us and loves us more them each other.

We dont buy things that are unnecessary either. My daughter who is 7 is in love with boxes, she builds the craziest things and colors them, and makes windows inside for the cat.

So this year my son and I are going to build her the biggest box she has ever seen, I still have to measure the height in her room, but I am sure that the countless hours she is going to play in that thing, is nothing that a store can provide.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 03:27 AM
link   
Why does she have to join the corporate bandwagon and buy presents this year? Why? Because others do?

How many billions of dollars will be spent this year on presents bought from companies and their owners....get this.... even by the same ones protesting at OWS and others.....

ha ha ha. It's so ironicly funny they will all sucumb to the same need to spend as everyone else and everyone who makes the goods (obviously those that own more) win anyway.

I love it.

But for this lady, is she so full of pride that she can't tell her kids no presents this year? Is a gift something that has to cost a lot? Why is that? Why are kids expecting high priced presents so much.

My boys lack nothing and have everything, yet they know that a gift is a gift from the heart not neccesarily a monetary value that is important.

The issue here is not that she feels sad she is embarassed to tell her kids, but that she has never explained to them what real giving is and that sometimes life is hard.

We have had plenty and nothing and then plenty again. My boys understand and still do. You have to teach them properly and if you bring them up right, then they can face anything because one day it will all crash and we may all have nothing, but those that are prepared inside and whos world isn't money (even if they have it now) will handle it the best because money is not everything. When you have it you enjoy it and respect it, and when you don't you do what you have to to survive.

Lets hope this lady can learn this before it spoils her children

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 03:28 AM
link   
... and why lie to your kids as children anyway? (santa)

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 03:32 AM
link   
I'll be heading out and buying some toys for kids, and going to a low income neighborhood and just leaving them on their door

totally at random

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 03:33 AM
link   
i think lying about it all to my kids sux balls, isnt it strange all the secrecy and deception that surrounds christmas comes under the heading SANTA = SATAN

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 04:08 AM
link   
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

Although i feel for the children that will wake to no or very little gifts, i have personally been at the receiving end of no gifts at christmas and the parent who couldnt really afford the gifts. When i was young, gifts were something that were hard to come by and to be honest, i didnt really miss them. It all has to do with what you instill in your childrens attitude towards it.

In our household, for the past 10 years only children are given gifts at christmas. Otherwise the whole christmas thing is blown out of proportion. Christmas in my household isnt about gifts or not gifts, its about a day of unified happiness as a family.

Even saying this, i still donate or try to, gifts for children at my local church, these gifts are given out to the local community for children who will get nothing.

I beleive my local supermarket also does this. You can buy something and leave it in a box at the front door for children.

I#d urge everyone to spend even £10 on a gift for a child who is in a less fortunate position. Thiose that have nothing appreciate the very smallest gifts!

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 04:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by lifeform11
our kids know santa does not exsist regardless of cash flow, they know it is us that buys them presents, they know what they get is based on our cash flow. this way if they do not get much they know we did'nt have much to spend.

the only reason parents feel lousy for not being able to afford to buy their kids things is because of the brainwashing and marketing around christmas. you are meant to feel bad so you spend, spend, spend. but the fact is you can still have a enjoyable christmas without all the retail gifts and buying things does not make you a good parent so she should stop thinking that.

tons of fun in your house

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 04:23 AM
link   
kudos to the thread starter by the way, lovely gesture

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 04:32 AM
link   
So, santa "does exist" or doesnt exist.....

Change the title of your thread OP.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 05:11 AM
link   
well i would rather say he dont exist anyway, i dont want some fat guy that dont exist to take all the credit for the presents that i had to work hard to get. i think it good for your kids to know you worked hard to get them the things they want becuase you love them.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 05:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by NoRegretsEver

If you can donate at least a can for a shelter, or a gift, or even a small donation, this would be a great help to those in need this year. Involve your kids, maybe take one gift from you own, and drop it off at a salvation army.

I'm tearing up as I write this, and I know that though we cant help everyone, that helping at least one person, is a wonderful thing.

Thanks for listening, and Peace, NRE.

Why should one day of the year be more special than any other?

Whether or not Santa exists doesn't negate the fact that people need help year round.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 06:08 AM
link   
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

simple solution.Quit having kids you can't afford to have.I am so sick of hearing about the poor kids.Stop breeding other air breathers and end this madness.Kids are a waste of resources in this day and age and most think well its my right to have the little planet killers.Sterilization is our friend people..

top topics

<<   2 >>

join