It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you hate shopping and the lack of etiquette from people? I journeyed to Walmart.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by satron

Originally posted by BlackSatinDancer

Originally posted by mugger
reply to post by satron

If you treat me like an arse, you get treated like one back. If you treat me with mutual respect, you receive that back also.

this world is full of psy vamps who leech off of others. People with no lives of their own are constantly doing this. Most are not aware and think they are in positions of righteousness. I never had much for anyone to vamp off of, but anything I have ever had... people want it.... even my issues, which is really strange. My work, my advice, my friendship, my concern... that's all sucked up like a vacuum the moment it comes out, but even the negative gets sucked up and cherished in by those who have nothing else to fill their own lives with.

Those with good intentions you want to share like energy and you know this passes off, but some are taking you down to a new low... insidiously, gradually and you know this. Some even try to do it quicker and in more desperate spurts. People like that are the type of people who cannot mind their own damn business in life and in walmart. It could be anything but you can tell they want something. It is literally draining to go into public so when people start interjecting crap I have to bounce how it feels right back to them... so i am the same way. I will meet others with the same acceptance or opposition for whatever reason they think they have come up with in their minds... and other than that, I mind my own business in public. I let other shop because I ASSUME that is what everybody came there for. If they come there for some other reason, they might want to make that known... else I will assume they just like getting up in other people's business because they have no life of their own to tend to.

It's strange to think of other people that feed off your weakness as psychic vampires, but you're right. People that fall victim to this can change the chemical balance in their brain, and can lead to depression, this I believe. It's like the Law of Conservation of Energy stays true to peoples energy levels. A good reason why I can't let things like what has been stated in this thread to bother me.

I think a lot of problems in life is people not keeping in check where their own territory lines are. They do not understand that their hidden thoughts and intentions create an actual living vibe that can be picked up on even if it can be misinterpreted.

I totally agree things like this can make people who fall victim to it very sick and if they are victimized by a large perpetrator of it... in some sense, like a large community or some other large conglomeration of people... or even conglomeration of ideas (like psychiatry) it could be too much for them to fight alone and without any justice- lose their own battle.

Many people are losing heir own battles in all sorts of ways and that is sad.

So many people in life should be looking within... looking at themselves. instead they like to inflict... even if it is their thoughts that they are inflicting... God sees this, God experiences this. You cannot hide what is within from God. intentions should be balancing and respectful, not inflicting and bias for one's own cause or reason.

People's energies are often very "loaded" ...many of them do not even see it because they have been taught to constantly "load" their energy or they might even run out of it. Those kind of momentums are not true staying power (sustainable) they are illusions. Kind of like the way the use of oil and coal keep us from using much better forms of energy that is not so caustic and detrimental.
edit on 19-11-2011 by BlackSatinDancer because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Oh, don't get me started!

Well actually, since you already have, I work at a store and the rudeness of customers and co-workers astounds me daily. I must be old school, because I was taught things like, "do unto others" and "the customer is always right". So, even though the customer totally annoys me when they continue their cell phone conversation while I am serving them, I grin and bear it. It goes like this:

Customer: "And yeah, Madge, I was so upset when Victor", "Marlboro lights" , "when Victor forgot to"

Me: "Marlboro lights, six fifty-five"

Customer: "He forgot to call me.", "six fifty?", "He just blew me..."

Me: "Six fifty five"

Customer: "blew me off." "Can you hang on a minute?(as they fumble with their money one handed because Lord forbid the d&*% phone detach from their ear)

I go through this every day with numerous rude people who can't even get off the phone long enough to make a simple purchase of something They want. Some of them act like I'm infringing upon them by interrupting. One day, I had an awesome customer who did the dirty work for everyone and told the woman to remove the phone from her ear and her head from her arse. She sneered and hurried out phone still attached. He had the full support of everyone present.

Then, there are the people who think you can read their minds. A woman came in to pay for her gas. She walked through the store first and comes to the register with a gift card. She throws it down on the counter and says not a word. It is still intact with the hang tab on it, so I figured she was buying it and I activated it.

Whenever I told her what she owed me, then she tells me that it isn't correct, so I clarify, "$15.00 in gas and $10.00 for the card". "No", she said. "I'm paying with the card." I realized my mistake in assuming she was buying it and tried to void the transaction, but my register froze up. She was ticked off because she was in a hurry and had to wait, when she could have avoided the whole mess by:

1. snapping off the hang tab before using the card.

2. informing me she was paying with it.

It was a mutual fault in my opinion, but I politely apologized for My mistake. I then, broke my own rule of customer service, and suggested that next time she snap off the hang tab prior to use. Sometimes, enough is just enough.

I think rudeness is becoming so commonplace now, people don't even see it for what it is anymore. One time, I was at WalMart, and as I was holding the last Holiday Barbie on the shelf in my hands, a woman came and snatched it from me. I took it back and informed her I was planning on purchasing it and it was mine first. Of course, she left in a huff. Just rude!

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   
[color=4E4848]☝ ☆ ?

Originally posted by mugger
I moved 5 unattended carts out of my way to get down an aisle.

Last week at a Walmart I took 4 items from an unattended cart blocking an isle no one was in.

What? It's not like I was stealing from them. They had not bought it yet, so it wasn't theirs.

edit on 19-11-2011 by ILikeStars because: to add " ☝ ☆ ? " to the top of this post.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Many people think they're the center of the universe, most of these people could use a real reality check.

There is no you or I, just them and their carts of #ty pseudo-food/worthless treasures. The second they load the car and get the @*% out of Dodge, it makes no difference to them where they left their cart. The cart, the parking lot, you and I, we might as well exit in a parallel universe in their POV.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 12:53 AM
link   
I think Walmart seems so bad probably because so many of us shop there more often to save time . I went into a Dollar General Store last night for some bandage items and if you've been in one you know how narrow the aisle are. I had my basket as close as I could get it to the shelf . An old lady and her daughter were coming up close and I stepped to the side and said excuse me, the older lady took my cart and shoved it into the shelf . I just stood there with my mouth open. When I needed to move past them I was shot a look and just turned around and went the other way. My son broke his hand on Thursday and I was at the pharmacy trying to get his meds before they closed. Another lady seem to mistake the drive - thru as a parking space causing my kid to go over night without pain meds. My most memorable occasion in a store is Thanksgiving Eve in Walmart 2009. Do not try to shop then , ever. Every area of the store was cart to cart and I managed to find myself pinned against one of those long freezers...with a lady driving right at me with her cart. She was getting so close I started looking around me for a way out and hoping that she was noticing I was stuck there. The woman was looking me in the face and ran right into me. it's rare but every once in a while you can push the wrong button on me and this day...this lady did just that.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 12:58 AM
link   
I live like a hermit...when I venture out, I smile...joke, wave and charm everyone I come in contact with. I may never see any of them again, but if I do, I want friends.
I never have had a bad experience when I interact with those in my community.
I don't eat like they do, I don't live like they do. I'm still cool with them though.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 01:05 AM
link   
Honestly though, I think I live in a time warp. My neighbors are all retired vets or contractors. Come to think of it, honest folk close to the viper pit of California Politicians? Interesting times we live in.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Elisha03011972

You sound like the Government Employees I often work with. Humanity is so...gross.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 01:27 AM
link   
Shouldn't this be in the Rant forum?

Otherwise, yea some people be rude.

agreed.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 01:29 AM
link   
We are what we have been trained to be, with rare exception. Most Americans now are loyal serfs that are suspicious of anything out of the norm...that's what they were trained to be.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Why in God's name would anyone go to Wal Mart? I mean, I know they have low prices, but sweet Jesus man... That place is full of some really... uh... interesting people. At least around here they are anyway. Plus, that corporation is as cut-throat as they come. I'm all for free markets, but that doesn't mean stomp all over the world leaving crushed skulls and broken dreams in your wake. They wouldn't be able to continue their nasty behavior if people would stop rewarding them.

I would gladly eat less just so I wouldn't have to go there.

Lately, I see a lot of stress on people's faces. I was at the store the other day and this guy was literally storming up and down the isles like a fiend, slamming things in his cart. I could barely even get out of the store parking lot because no one would let me merge. I think the combination of the holidays and economic stress is pushing people to the breaking point.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 02:02 AM
link   
reply to post by ILikeStars

That made me laugh...

I almost never go to walmart. But I must admit I did go there when Skyrim came out, cashier was cool, people were alright.

This is my first day back on ATS since I bought SKyrim BTW... OMG back to Skyrim....

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 02:06 AM
link   
I confess, I sometimes go there...not often, but I have...visited just to wonder at the dysfunction.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 02:18 AM
link   
reply to post by mugger

I LOVE TO SHOP!
I hardly ever buy but I love to window shop, yeah weird for a guy huh?
I do agree etiquette can be a sticky surface though.
I kind of did something bad today.
As I was walking into Barnes and Noble today, (to pick up world war X, great so far btw).
I stepped right into a kids path who was speeding kind of towards me on a bike.
He darn near ditched into a parked car.
It made me feel good though to give the little scrub a scare.
Here's why, as I opened the door for my hunney, I looked behind me for anyone else coming in.
I always look to hold the door for folks, it is how I was raised.

As I look I see an old lady notice the bike that was coming right for her, she squinted and stood straight upright in the "bracing for impact position".
With the door open I stepped back in between her and the bike directly in front of the kid.
He had 4 choices, hit the glass door, clothesline on my arm ( I may be old but in my prime I was a stout boy, I still have a pretty good mass on me), run into me, (still a big guy), or swerve drastically and hope for the best.
He took the best option and thanks to his youth was able to react in time.
I said "WHOA sorry bout that" in a sincere voice.

I then looked at the lady smiled and winked, said "Ma'am, after you"?
She smiled and thanked me, she knew what happened.
Hopefully the kid realizes that bikes can be dangerous on sidewalks now.
All in all the day ended up good for all parties involved.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 02:55 AM
link   
Muzzleflashes comments on pg1 are spot on.
I do the same, and just the other day in a shopping centre I moved by 2 year old out the way of this woman and apologised as I did so, she never said thanks or even acknowledged me - so I angled my back away from my kids so they couldn't hear me and called her an ignorant cow and she looked round surprised so i repeated it and then just walked off and carried on my day. Absolutely cannot stand rude people - either in the shops or when driving - if I let someone past in a car and they don't wave a thanks or flash their lights etc - I give them the finger - every time.
Manners cost nothing - but if these people don't show any they will get what they are used to.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 02:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by amatrine
I was in frys today. I am in a wheelchair. This lady was talking on the cellphone and blocking my aisle. I said excuse me, she ignored me. I said it LOUDER, EXCUSE me, she moves even MORE in front of me not paying attention to me, thinking she actually moved. At this point I am getting mad, and she heard me under my breath and finally moved.

IN a wheelchair, I ALWAYS am ignored, but that was bad. Normally they walk out in front of me, expect me to give way for them , even though I am, there first. I am really treated as a second hand citizen.
Want to see what its like? Go to the store on a weekend, and use one of those electric carts and see how you are treated. People think because you are crippled they and their time is worth more than ours. We are expected to stop for them. .....
BTW , I dont block asisles. I am Using the aisles like everyone else. I have had people yell at me to move when I am getting something , because they want it at the same time, and since IM in a wheechair they assume I must be slower and SHOULD MOVE and let them get it first. ....Sickens me,.

edit on 19-11-2011 by amatrine because: (no reason given)

this post brought a tear to my eye

as a giver and receiver of world class service in most places i go [including Wallyworld (WalMart) when necessary] it sickens my soul to know and see actions like the above taking place far too frequently.

amatrine --> i feel for you and everyone who shares your dilemma.
i am the person you hope to see each time you venture out ... i step aside to let you pass, i offer to select items off the shelf that may be beyond your reach, i offer to assist emptying your basket if you are ahead of me at the checkout, i always hold the door for you and offer to help unload at your vehicle (if time permits).
i do wonder who in their right mind passes you by and keeps a clear conscious.

odd side note -- boy is 20, army, raised in a chivalrous environment and shamed if he doesn't exhibit same.
newest girlfriend, late teens, is actually offended by his chivalrous behaviors ... not extreme mind you, just the basics, open doors, pull out chair, walk on car side of path (outside of female position but still side by side), hold hands in public and yet, even these small gestures were enough for her to issue a break-up ???
i just don't follow the rigidity employed by so many yet the preachers say "love is the answer" ... really?
[i'm guessing it must be a different kind of love]

carts in the aisle-way and parking lot ??
well, that's been a problem for as long as both have existed. add humans to the mix and sure enough it becomes a mountain rather the pesky molehill it may be.

@ those who are frequently bothered by such behavior ... why make it a mountain?
would it really ruin your day to find someone else left a cart blocking your door access ??
courtesy is grand, i do agree but when you don't know the full story, who are we to judge?

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 03:11 AM
link   
I'm with you OP.

Contrary to local belief that my country holds "courteous, generous and generally helpful people", it houses a lot of unfriendly, hostile people who just can't be bothered.
Unfortunately, americans are generalized as being a lazy culture, but it's just as bad here. In case you're wondering where i'm from, i was refraining from ruining a false image that people have of us. But if you must know, i'm from australia.

A trip to the local department stores takes a lot out of you, and the friendly kind of people like you and i, should venture to these places with an open mind, knowing that there may not be any reward or hope for the people you will encounter or try and show an act of friendliness towards.

Sure you may open a door, and they may smile, but at the end of the day, the general amount of us just walk like drones, bump into you, in a rush, etc - all the characteristics of a typical robot.

Fortunately for some of us though, we hold a mindset that these actions will not change our views, and we shouldn't "stop caring" because some idiot has left a trolley in a parking bay. Sure it's f*cking annoying, and you want to show them a piece of your mind, but at the end of the day - you're benefiting from your display of etiquette.
If everyone went out being friendly just for personal gains, it wouldn't work - as we would all have given up by now. In other words, keep it up.
A person cuts you off in traffic? fine, let him in, and the person behind him. He doesn't wave? okay, it's not the end of the world.

If their act of hostility doesn't affect you in any way towards your general politness, then you understand what i mean.

Do it for the sake of your attitude, and personality... rather than an "exchange" for a good deed to come your way.
You'll also find yourself giving hope and leniency towards other people, rather than treating them all like lost causes.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 03:48 AM
link   
Welcome to the world of retail folks... It doesn't matter which shop you're in, people are generally rude, obnoxious, and have little to no respect of others, especially the staff.
As a store manager for 15+ years in a major Aust. retail chain, I have seen things that would make you shake your head in disbelief. Why is this? It's really simple, some knob in a head office makes it policy to customers that no matter how much of a feral they want to be inside the store, it is their right to do so, and woe befall anyone who says otherwise. There is a sense of entitlement bred into most people walking through the doors of any retail chain these days, and sadly the old school customer service these days equates to "how much can I screw this company over." The attitude is also that most places are big faceless corporations who employ zombies and numbers, and not people. So their attitude walking in is "these big chains are ripping us off every day, let's get some payback by being an utter a$$." While at the corporate level that may well be true, most of the people that worked in the many stores I managed over the years were just that, people. They shopped there too, were locals in the community, and away from the uniform were just ordinary everday people. All I can say is I'm no longer a part of that system thankfully, but things will get worse before (if at all) they get better.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 04:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Honor93

Originally posted by amatrine
I was in frys today. I am in a wheelchair. This lady was talking on the cellphone and blocking my aisle. I said excuse me, she ignored me. I said it LOUDER, EXCUSE me, she moves even MORE in front of me not paying attention to me, thinking she actually moved. At this point I am getting mad, and she heard me under my breath and finally moved.

IN a wheelchair, I ALWAYS am ignored, but that was bad. Normally they walk out in front of me, expect me to give way for them , even though I am, there first. I am really treated as a second hand citizen.
Want to see what its like? Go to the store on a weekend, and use one of those electric carts and see how you are treated. People think because you are crippled they and their time is worth more than ours. We are expected to stop for them. .....
BTW , I dont block asisles. I am Using the aisles like everyone else. I have had people yell at me to move when I am getting something , because they want it at the same time, and since IM in a wheechair they assume I must be slower and SHOULD MOVE and let them get it first. ....Sickens me,.

edit on 19-11-2011 by amatrine because: (no reason given)

this post brought a tear to my eye

as a giver and receiver of world class service in most places i go [including Wallyworld (WalMart) when necessary] it sickens my soul to know and see actions like the above taking place far too frequently.

amatrine --> i feel for you and everyone who shares your dilemma.
i am the person you hope to see each time you venture out ... i step aside to let you pass, i offer to select items off the shelf that may be beyond your reach, i offer to assist emptying your basket if you are ahead of me at the checkout, i always hold the door for you and offer to help unload at your vehicle (if time permits).
i do wonder who in their right mind passes you by and keeps a clear conscious.

odd side note -- boy is 20, army, raised in a chivalrous environment and shamed if he doesn't exhibit same.
newest girlfriend, late teens, is actually offended by his chivalrous behaviors ... not extreme mind you, just the basics, open doors, pull out chair, walk on car side of path (outside of female position but still side by side), hold hands in public and yet, even these small gestures were enough for her to issue a break-up ???
i just don't follow the rigidity employed by so many yet the preachers say "love is the answer" ... really?
[i'm guessing it must be a different kind of love]

carts in the aisle-way and parking lot ??
well, that's been a problem for as long as both have existed. add humans to the mix and sure enough it becomes a mountain rather the pesky molehill it may be.

@ those who are frequently bothered by such behavior ... why make it a mountain?
would it really ruin your day to find someone else left a cart blocking your door access ??
courtesy is grand, i do agree but when you don't know the full story, who are we to judge?

just want to say something about the son and the chivalry thing... my condolences to that person and not trying to derail the post, but who breaks up for chivalry? even those who say they do, likely do not. here's something you might want to consider because i would absolutely hate for that person to think they have to go around being a dick just because their last girl left them for being too nice.

i question that this was her reasons... even if she complained about the chivalry. i think the only reason she would have complained about it is because she wanted something else and the chivalry was too close for her comfort. she basically just changed her mind AND THEN the chivalry started getting on her nerves... she might have even voiced a complaint about it?... but what was rally bothering her is that someone was giving her too much attention and she was thinking "i don't want this kind of attention from this person" and needed to move on anyway for the both of their sakes.

again, my condolences... because that stings to feel like their is something you have done wrong or whatever and it seems a little irrational, but that isn't what it is. it's chemistry, it's fate... it simply was not meant to be. she tried to tell herself it was perhaps and backed herself into her own corner where she was being treated nicely by someone who her instincts were telling her was not mr right.

many girls are just confused and don't know where they belong.... but then again many guys just want something to roll over and tap and they don't even understand the chick, so we've all got our issues. She should have analyzed her true feelings better and made them known instead of just her superficial annoyance (but she is young and...) he has to know who appreciates what because sometimes the attention is not equal and it really needs to be equal. no point in asking why not... just move on.
edit on 20-11-2011 by BlackSatinDancer because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 04:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by 74Templar
Welcome to the world of retail folks... It doesn't matter which shop you're in, people are generally rude, obnoxious, and have little to no respect of others, especially the staff.
As a store manager for 15+ years in a major Aust. retail chain, I have seen things that would make you shake your head in disbelief. ears were just that, people. They shopped there too, were locals in the community, and away from the uniform were just ordinary everday people. All I can say is I'm no longer a part of that system thankfully, but things will get worse before (if at all) they get better.

this is largely true.... many people on the clock are simply clock milkers even you partially can't blame them for having the feeling of giving up. they don't do good work and they just bide their time on that clock, but they are there too long and get paid too little. for example, most of walmarts theft is done by employees yet they got ways of bugging the customers because of "merchandise shrink" concerns. Of course people want to screw companies over and not do good work because it is the only way they are going to be able to bear holding done that job- if they are on the take somehow, because if they are not- the resentment will eat them alive. they throw it off of their chest by not giving a crap.

I give a crap on a personal level... I give a crap on a large business level even though i can see both sides of the story in a lot of cases, but something still has to change. In some small way, those on the take are eating away at the system, but the system has to realize that it's going to get cannibalized. All companies are part of that system if they are using any type of currency. Both sides are on the take. This makes you think that it's better to support mom and pop stores by why should you pay more for businesses that don't benefit you personally? you may think that it hold communities together but it doesn't. Those businesses benefit the owners. when walmarts moves and takes over business... at least regular people will have the option to apply at hat store, whereas mom and pop stores- you have to be related or a good friend to get a little piece of that pie.

and all those that were not born into... anything? those who have to start from scratch and hope they get picked? those people WELL outnumber the mom and pop store owners in "need"

it's a fast changing thing is it not? the old school system... I'm afraid that didn't work very well either.

why is that?... even if you have surviving mom and pop stores, who's making the stuff... we should be is what many wll say, but that isn't what is happening. When it comes to retail there is very little you can do on a community level because the system reaches all the way to the top.... ALL THE WAY.

You can't stop this on a lower level... for the sake of business owners? 'll be frank with you... many do not care at all for those people because before things got tight, those people were still just in it to prosper and to have a nice house. in my experience, they weren't exactly giving stuff away. in my experience in school, old business owner kids were some of the snobbiest brattiest kids you'd ever want to meet... and everybody knows their brothers, sisters and cousins and everybody loves those kids from that old furniture shop... even when they are ridiculing other kids whose parents have to apply apply apply and practically beg for jobs.

that's a two way street.

you can't nip it in the bud on the lower levels, it will never work because there is a WHOLE OTHER SIDE TO THAT STORY.

in any case, I'm still of the mindset that if you are going to work, do good work, don't be on the take even for the company that is ripping you a new one and sucking your life dry, but to those who tear the system from the inside out... you can't really blame a lot of these cases. it's not just in retail. there are people even in HIGH levels who have had loads of schooling who still have no idea how to run doodly squat!... like doctors who know NOTHING but what pharmaceutical companies tell them.. no true health care concerns or any healing bone in their body, but they have the credentials to poison anyone and everyone they officially pull under their care.
Despite me being a type of person who on a base level, I KNOW I take the right approach... you CAN'T WIN WITH THE RIGHT APPROACH... so i am all for doing what's right on that base level, the individual level.... but I give not a crap for the top of that system. i would not cry if symbols fall. i do not worship a flag, so that punkism is definitely in there... in my bones, but it wants to try the right way first... and then stand back and watch it fall knowing why, knowing you CAN'T WIN WITH THE RIGHT APPROACH.

those who try to do things right... we know, don't we?

it doesn't work.

it is a strange system.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join