It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giant mound of tires seen from space

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   

news.yahoo.com

COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) — The sprawling pile of hundreds of thousands of tires isn't easy to spot from the ground, sitting in a rural South Carolina clearing accessible by only a circuitous dirt path that winds through thick patches of trees. No one knows how all those tires got there, or when.
But, Calhoun County Council Chairman David Summers says of this giant rubber menace, "You can see it from space."
Authorities have charged one person in connection with the mess of roughly 250,000 tires, which covers more than 50 acres on satellite images. And now a Florida company is helping haul it
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Could this be for real? There is no doubt that there must be a problem in Columbia S.C. but come on!!! Visible from space???? I had a look over the area for this ,grand as it must be at 50 acres, eye sore from google earth and couldnt find what I thought was a tire dump. I did however make myself motion sick looking. Can someone google earth Columbia S.C. and find this eye sopre to give credit to the headliner or else its just another mark up to Hyper-Sensational News Media with a puppet master in the back ground

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 11/10/2011 by rebellender because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
No one knows how it got there or when? Oh Bull! Which crooked and corrupt politicians in that county made some side money off letting these be illegally dumped when no one else was looking?? I can't believe a collection that big just appears without someone calling in at some point... lol. It isn't if this is what corruption looks like, to borrow a term..
...but which official are corrupt and for how long? Sounds like some local residents need to do some serious looking at those they've elected there.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

did you catch the property owner is in NY.....yep I think your assessment is spot on

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
If you think that's bad check this out.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
It would almost be easier to build a recycling plant right there, than to move all those tires.

Lots of different things tires can be turned into...

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   

It's merely a consequence of inflation.
(sorry)

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Nice picture from space

I have Yahoo and I have to say that their articles are lacking in good reporting ethics

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by shushu
Old tires...

I have driven on such roads and they are great. Quiet, very Quiet

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by MzMorbid

12,000 "bits of trash" in orbit isn't too shocking really.

And I wonder how long it's going to take to get cleaned up, we know who will pay for it.

Tire derived fuel is cleaner than coal? Sorta hard to believe but it could be the case.
edit on 19-11-2011 by Turq1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by liejunkie01
Nice picture from space

I have Yahoo and I have to say that their articles are lacking in good reporting ethics

That could be said about all of them. Sensationalism is a HOT HOT ticket these days

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Turq1

Originally posted by MzMorbid

12,000 "bits of trash" in orbit isn't too shocking really.

And I wonder how long it's going to take to get cleaned up, we know who will pay for it.

edit on 19-11-2011 by Turq1 because: (no reason given)

If it is as big as they say a fine of $475 a day wouldnt clean it up hastily. YEP we will be hearing more on this one..

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Fort Jackson is in Columbia SC Makes me wonder if this is not some how connected to the base. They have a ton of vehicles there. I think its one of the major mechanic enginer depot.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I found the tires.

Not a very big pile.
You can see my house from space.
Epic fail on yahoo news part.

edit on 19-11-2011 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

Thanks when viewed from 10,000 ft. I cant tell its tires and this is hardly the threshold of small craft air travel.
smelling sensationalism at its finest, and a puppet master for sure

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   
womp womp womp.

It should of read "Giant Mound of Tires seen from Helicopter."

Really with all the high def. satellites what isnt viewable from space anymore??

new topics

top topics

join