It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Kill Team' soldier David Bram gets 5 years in jail over Afghan misconduct

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   

'Kill Team' soldier David Bram gets 5 years in jail over Afghan misconduct

www.msnbc.msn.com

A U.S. Army sergeant was sentenced to five years in prison on Friday for crimes that included beating a subordinate whose whistle-blowing led to an investigation of rogue soldiers murdering unarmed Afghan civilians.

Staff Sergeant David Bram was found guilty by court-martial on most of the charges against him, becoming the 11th soldier convicted in connection with the widest-ranging prosecution of U.S. military atrocities and other misconduct during 10 years of war in Afghanistan.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.q13fox.com

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Five years. Eligible for parole after 40 months - I'll give you 5 to 1 odds that he'll be released as soon as he's eligible.

This is sickening. All of the members of the so called Kill Team are facing watered down charges and being made to serve minimal sentences when convicted. If this were a civilian case involving the same charges the offenders would be facing life sentences at best and more than likely death sentences. If the US were "spreading democracy" as they claim the Kill Team would have faced charges in a court in Afghanistan and would have likely been hung for their crimes. I am no advocate of the death penalty but cannot help but notice the blatant hypocrisy.

I'm offended by the Army's minimization of these brutal acts, but not in the least bit surprised. What is really disgusting about the whole thing is the civilian population's willingness to ignore and/or justify these crimes.

See additional links for a list of charges.

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

-Soliciation to commit premeditated murder, Article 134
-Aggravated assault with a dangerouns weapons, Article 128
-Failure to report crimes, including murder, Article 92
-Unlawfully engaging in murder scenario conversations with subordinates, Article 134
-Planting evidence near the body of an Afghan national, Article 134
-Original charges against Bram were dropped and then reinstated with the additional charges, in accordance with military justice protocol. Those include: Conspiracy to commit assault and battery, Article 81
-Unlawfully striking another soldier, Article 128
-Violating a lawful general order, and dereliction of duty, Article 92
-Cruelty and maltreatment, Article 93
-Wrongfully endeavoring to impede an investigation, Article 134

ETA: I searched using a few different terms and combinations thereof, didn't see anything directly related to Bram's sentencing. Apologies if this has been posted somewhere and I missed it.
edit on 19-11-2011 by TinkerHaus because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-11-2011 by TinkerHaus because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   
So much for justice, what a complete joke.

Another one rule for the US and different rules for the rest of us.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Imagine this happening in your country - by a fellow civilian or an occupying force, it doesn't matter.

Would you be satisfied with these sentences if your brother or daughter or neighbor was one of their victims?

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I think that they will get what they deserve on the other side and it is only one case that has leaked from the army.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by TinkerHaus

Are you targeting your comment at me? If so why?

They should have gotten a life sentence without Parole end of....

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Does the meaning of "slap on the wrist" need to be revised now?

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   

I think if he spent his sentence in an Afghan prison, this would be just.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
War is murder we have known this for all of time now. Why do WE still not resist to jump on an exploitation expose' . Lets investigate the moral breakdown. Possibly 5 too many combat tours of duty. That's way to much carnage for any mind to tolerate. Oh no, dont put words in my mouth now and say I justify the horrible actions of this INDIVIDUAL and HIS CREW

The world could use less war and more Leaders Trying harder to get along!! reluctantly this only goes so far
edit on 11/10/2011 by rebellender because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by rebellender
War is murder we have known this for all of time now.

I love how EVERYONE uses this to JUSTIFY atrocities.

War is bad guys! OMGZ!!

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by v1rtu0s0

War is murder we have known this for all of time now.

I love how EVERYONE uses this to JUSTIFY atrocities.

War is bad guys! OMGZ!!

Hey Pal, I think you missed the rest of my quote to hijack your point...BRAVO, WELL DONE

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
5 years?
Once he does his time, Im sure many would welcome this hardened violent sociopath into their neighbourhoods as a hero worthy of respect....

But Im sure, he's the only one of his kind. Surely, there cant be many other similar hardened, violent sociopaths who will one day return back to normal lives in the US.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
This disgusts me and I wore my uniform proudly, I served on numerous deployments and there are always a few crap bags who tarnish our image and give anti americans more ammo bad mouth us. He needs to do more than 5 years and his chain of command should be examined a little more closely. Its a shame soldiers like this, especially an NCO who is supposed to lead by example.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by AnonymousFem

No, I was just saying as a passing thought, not directed at any one person. Sorry if it seemed that way.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   

War is murder we have known this for all of time now. Why do WE still not resist to jump on an exploitation expose' . Lets investigate the moral breakdown. Possibly 5 too many combat tours of duty. That's way to much carnage for any mind to tolerate. Oh no, dont put words in my mouth now and say I justify the horrible actions of this INDIVIDUAL and HIS CREW

The world could use less war and more Leaders Trying harder to get along!! reluctantly this only goes so far
edit on 11/10/2011 by rebellender because: (no reason given)

I don't care how long they had been there. These weren't combatants - they were mostly innocent people caught up in a ####storm.

I agree with a lot of what you've said, but I don't feel a need to resist talking about this. People lost either the ability or the desire to control themselves, committed what the civilized world all agrees to be the worst of crimes, and got a minor time out as a consequence. I don't think people are talking about it enough.

Do all people who kill and take body parts as trophies now get 5-15 years with a chance of time off for good behavior? One of the victims was a 15 year old boy, working in a field. He lost alot more than 5 years.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   

hundreds of people die to natural disasters. Innocent people die in Africa because of religion and we the people by and large dont blink about it yet when a soldier and his crew goes nuts because of multiple combat tours people point and shout for justice. Mostly my point, and thank you for seeing it, is society is so quick to jump on the "politically correct" band wagon than it misses the real and underlying issues at hand. Thanks for noticing my point

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   

hundreds of people die to natural disasters. Innocent people die in Africa because of religion and we the people by and large dont blink about it yet when a soldier and his crew goes nuts because of multiple combat tours people point and shout for justice. Mostly my point, and thank you for seeing it, is society is so quick to jump on the "politically correct" band wagon than it misses the real and underlying issues at hand. Thanks for noticing my point

Your point is that he did it because he went crazy from multiple tours which I'm sure is possible, but... do you have evidence?

The problem is you keep framing your point with the same propaganda (warishellguys)point here(/warishellguys)

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by v1rtu0s0

Your point is that he did it because he went crazy from multiple tours which I'm sure is possible, but... do you have evidence?

The problem is you keep framing your point with the same propaganda (warishellguys)point here(/warishellguys)

I will tell you what. I will give you some off the internet. Then it will be true. How is that. Would that satisfy you? There is no evidence you moran!!! grow up ...Speculation is fair for the both of us. evidence my foot

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   

you moran!!!

classic

(sorry i couldn't ignore that one).

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by AnonymousFem

No, after keeping up with the story from day one, the ring leader (a father himself) should had been given the death penalty including any his unit who murdered an Afghani. Those who did'nt murder anyone were accessories and 25 to life in prison would had been sufficiant. Anything less than that is a travesty.

If these murders had taken place on American soil the above is exactly what would had happened. So when does and American life take superiority over that of an Afghani? I don't differ between the two.

Know the difference between killing a person and murdering a person. The kill unit MURDERED innocent Afghanis in cold blood, but not without humiliating them and torchering them first as they did of a beautiful 15 year old child.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join