It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lobbying Firm's Memo Spells Out Plan to Undermine Occupy Wall Street

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Here's a link to a story from MSNBC about a leaked memo from a Washington lobbying group to the American Bankers Association.
Some will probably legitimately question the objectivity of MSNBC, however I feel the contents of the leaked memo speaks for itself.

A well-known Washington lobbying firm with links to the financial industry has proposed an $850,000 plan to take on Occupy Wall Street and politicians who might express sympathy for the protests, according to a memo obtained by the MSNBC program “Up w/ Chris Hayes.” The proposal was written on the letterhead of the lobbying firm Clark Lytle Geduldig & Cranford and addressed to one of CLGC’s clients, the American Bankers Association. CLGC’s memo proposes that the ABA pay CLGC $850,000 to conduct “opposition research” on Occupy Wall Street in order to construct “negative narratives” about the protests and allied politicians. The memo also asserts that Democratic victories in 2012 would be detrimental for Wall Street and targets specific races in which it says Wall Street would benefit by electing Republicans instead. According to the memo, if Democrats embrace OWS, “This would mean more than just short-term political discomfort for Wall Street. … It has the potential to have very long-lasting political, policy and financial impacts on the companies in the center of the bullseye.” The memo also suggests that Democratic victories in 2012 should not be the ABA’s biggest concern. “… (T)he bigger concern,” the memo says, “should be that Republicans will no longer defend Wall Street companies.”

Here's a link to a copy of the leaked memo:msnbcmedia.msn.com...

The article goes on to state that two of the memos authors used to work for John Boehner, that the memo is legit and that the American Bankers Association have acknowledged it's existence.
I think this leaked memo goes a long way into shedding some insight into the minds of people who are actively working to undermine the OWS movement. It shows who's working against it and why, and some of the tactics that they are employing.
Here's a tactic mentioned in the memo they are trying to use that I see a lot of on this very website.

The memo indicates that CLGC would research who has contributed financial backing to OWS, noting that, “Media reports have speculated about associations with George Soros and others.” "It will be vital,” the memo says, “to understand who is funding it and what their backgrounds and motives are. If we can show that they have the same cynical motivation as a political opponent it will undermine their credibility in a profound way.”

Reading that I feel compelled to post this link again:www.reuters.com...

Here's a link to the MSNBC article I used as my source:upwithchrishayes.msnbc.msn.com...[url ]http://upwithchrishayes.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/11/19/8896362-exclusive-lobbying-firms-memo-spells-out-plan-to-undermine-occupy[/url]

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
The republicans defending wall street when did this start? The bad thing is you have just as many democrats that are willing slaves to wall street as well. Why don't these scumbags do what they usually do buy more politicians and get a law passed banning protesting.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

You're absolutely correct that the Democrats are just as beholden to wall street as the Republicans are. The wall street folks are smart enough to always hedge their bets.
A lot of people in this country feel completely dis-enfranchised with the political process, I know I feel as if no matter who manages to get elected they're going to be representing the interests of big money rather than what's best for the majority of the people.
One of the best things about OWS is their outsider status (hopefully they can keep it). The system seems eager for the movement to become engaged in our current political system, where their message can become marginalized and controlled.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Hah, that money is a pittance compared to the IP plebiscite.

"Lobbyists" are like a fattened tick, on the couch-seated ass of humanity.

I would advise, Superjury(tm), which is an idea conceived by me, and which would eliminate (without violence) all lobbyists, legislators, judges, courts and lawyers, per se. They would all be welcome to come to Superjury(tm), but they would vote by doing the wave, along with all the other people. The only thing they can lobby, is the section around them, or by stepping up to the microphone, they can have their say, and "lobby" the crowd.

But when all has been said, for that issue, then people would do "The Wave" around the stadium, clockwise for yea, and anti-clock for nay, and by analyzing the flow of either wave, a vote (or further discourse) can be easily seen and agreed upon. The Wave, as such, is a truly American thing, and it's fun to watch and participate. But to use it to do away with the joystick of the elites aka "the ballot box", well, that is to promote a truly wighty wave, indeed.

If you look closely, you can see that I am describing the one true way to have a tamper proof, plebe-based Grand Jury vote. Simply side-step those who would oppose Superjury(tm).

Lobbyists eh? Really now, why not just pick the best #1 and #2 lobby-ists and promote them to offices: executive and offices: Veep executive. Let's see them lobby all of us, directly, as Presidents. Why don't lobbyists ever run for President?

Anyway, when the stadiums are used for the plebes, peacefully and purposefully, the world will change. But who will fight the plebes and keep them from the stadiums? Also, wouldn't religion itself come to be debated at Superjury(tm)? And if Superjury(tm) is to be peaceful, then how can we allow the religionists to enter? And also, there is a Nationalism which is like a religion, and so how do we keep Superjury(tm) from being jingo-istic? The trick is to wire all Superjury(tm) stadiums together with web/tele conferencing, and in this way, a single wave, could travel around the planet.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   
I had posted this as well, but yours was first. If you don't mind, I'll recopy my post here;

Lobbying firm's memo spells out plan to undermine Occupy Wall Street

A well-known Washington lobbying firm with links to the financial industry has proposed an $850,000 plan to take on Occupy Wall Street and politicians who might express sympathy for the protests, according to a memo obtained by the MSNBC program “Up w/ Chris Hayes.”

The proposal was written on the letterhead of the lobbying firm Clark Lytle Geduldig & Cranford and addressed to one of CLGC’s clients, the American Bankers Association.

CLGC’s memo proposes that the ABA pay CLGC $850,000 to conduct “opposition research” on Occupy Wall Street in order to construct “negative narratives” about the protests and allied politicians. The memo also asserts that Democratic victories in 2012 would be detrimental for Wall Street and targets specific races in which it says Wall Street would benefit by electing Republicans instead.

Let's review;

A well-known lobbying firm, letter addressed to the American Bankers Association, and this:

"The memo also asserts that Democratic victories in 2012 would be detrimental for Wall Street and targets specific races in which it says Wall Street would benefit by electing Republicans instead.

(T)he bigger concern,” the memo says, “should be that Republicans will no longer defend Wall Street companies.”

No kidding - that is the PURPOSE OF OWS - to RID GOVERNMENT of these politicians who DEFEND WALL STREET BANKERS.

Read source for many more links including a copy of the entire memo.

I don't consider this to be the first instance of an organization to undermine OWS (or the TPM), just one of the biggest trying to get in on the act. The troubling part is the "negative narrative" they claim they can achieve, all for the low low price of $850K. "Negative narrative" has been the word against OWS from the Faux News and their Koch-backed agenda.

There is a legitimate groundswell of anger against the bankers, and it should be felt by both #OWS and the TPM, instead we get one group pitted against the other and any attempt at a true revolution in politics crushed by this "negative narrative" spun by the bankers themselves.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by jlv70

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Yes there is a huge smear campaign at play against OWS, even here on ATS. It is safe to say imho that some of them may be here creating threads and posts aimed to smear OWS based on fallicy and disinformation. Well the best we can do simply put is neutralize disinformation with factual raw data. There was a campaign against the Tea party as well here a few months ago here with the same modus operndi.

They hide behind the "it's just my opinion" while knowingly regurgitating propaganda. We were totally expecting the banks to deploy shills against OWS. They are confirming to us that we "OWS" the 99% are a threat by taking these actions. There is no shame to their game. They are criminals and deceivers through and through. Tha'ts hat got them rich in the first place.
edit on 19-11-2011 by Unknown Soldier because: (no reason given) extra DIV

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
I don't doubt the veracity of the claims.

I'm just surprised that the pro-OWS would embrace such partisan lines, so quickly.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   
That memo makes it pretty obvious the pro-banker, anti-OWS crowd has already embraced partisan lines.

The American Banker Association has stated that getting Republicans elected in 2012 is their chief concern.

#OWS scares the bejeebus out of them.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Part of the plan CLGC proposes is to do “statewide surveys in at least eight states that are shaping up to be the most important of the 2012 cycle.”

Specific races listed in the memo are U.S. Senate races in Florida, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Wisconsin, Ohio, New Mexico and Nevada as well as the gubernatorial race in North Carolina.

Both partys are corrupt but it's nice for the public to be aware of the game plan for control and where the battle will be focused in 2012.

Just how blind are the sheeple when the plan is in their face.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

I'm glad you posted it too, and I thank you for posting it, the more attention this issue receives the better.

I don't consider this to be the first instance of an organization to undermine OWS (or the TPM), just one of the biggest trying to get in on the act. The troubling part is the "negative narrative" they claim they can achieve, all for the low low price of $850K. "Negative narrative" has been the word against OWS from the Faux News and their Koch-backed agenda.

It seems as if everyone is noticing the power of negative narratives these days.

DARPA, the Pentagon’s advanced concepts think-tank, is looking to take propaganda to the next level and they’re hoping to do so by controlling the very way their targets perceive and interpret the flow of incoming information. The Pentagon believes that by engaging in ‘narrative control’ they can alter an individual’s grasp on reality and the way in which they evaluate current events. Simply put, DARPA is looking to shape minds with stories.

Source.hplusmagazine.com...
edit on 19-11-2011 by jlv70 because: fix quote

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

It's in everyone's best interests to abandon partisan lines, and this is what they truly fear the most.

The CLGC memo raises another issue that it says should be of concern to the financial industry -- that OWS might find common cause with the Tea Party. “Well-known Wall Street companies stand at the nexus of where OWS protestors and the Tea Party overlap on angered populism,” the memo says. “…This combination has the potential to be explosive later in the year when media reports cover the next round of bonuses and contrast it with stories of millions of Americans making do with less this holiday season.”

Source:upwithchrishayes.msnbc.msn.com...

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
"Opposition research" - fair enough, politics is a game, if your opposition has flip-flopped, cheated on his taxes, groped women and signed settlements with non-disclosure agreements, all's fair.

"Negative narrative" - this is the troubling part. How does one accomplish that? Harp on every negative aspect of a movement to undermine it? Plant false stories? False-flag ops done in the oppositions name? It's one thing is reporters and bloggers are willing to go along, what happens when willing cops or authorities are willing to go along? We already have Alex Jones claiming police brought in homeless and ex-cons to OWS events.

Alex Jones: Police send mentally ill, homeless, ex-cons to demonize OWS

RT talked to radio host Alex Jones, believing the apparent "health hazard" reasons given for the OWS evictions was a set-up from the start, and an effort to demonize the very idea of protests in the US

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Did OWS not anticipate a response at some point?

I sincerely hope that they do not get what they wish for as they are woefully unprepared.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by jlv70
reply to post by beezzer

It's in everyone's best interests to abandon partisan lines, and this is what they truly fear the most.

The CLGC memo raises another issue that it says should be of concern to the financial industry -- that OWS might find common cause with the Tea Party. “Well-known Wall Street companies stand at the nexus of where OWS protestors and the Tea Party overlap on angered populism,” the memo says. “…This combination has the potential to be explosive later in the year when media reports cover the next round of bonuses and contrast it with stories of millions of Americans making do with less this holiday season.”

Source:upwithchrishayes.msnbc.msn.com...

Point taken.
2nd

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
DARPA, the Pentagon’s advanced concepts think-tank, is looking to take propaganda to the next level and they’re hoping to do so by controlling the very way their targets perceive and interpret the flow of incoming information. The Pentagon believes that by engaging in ‘narrative control’ they can alter an individual’s grasp on reality and the way in which they evaluate current events. Simply put, DARPA is looking to shape minds with stories

The public needs to take any news or infomation presented to them wih a grain of salt, and ask themselfs.
Who is behind the source , and i don't mean, ( news source)? What is the message being sent behind the information? Who will benefit from the message being projected? The public is being lead down a road with predetermined results and a predetermined destination, there are no accidents in controling the people.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   

DARPA, the Pentagon’s advanced concepts think-tank, is looking to take propaganda to the next level and they’re hoping to do so by controlling the very way their targets perceive and interpret the flow of incoming information. The Pentagon believes that by engaging in ‘narrative control’ they can alter an individual’s grasp on reality and the way in which they evaluate current events. Simply put, DARPA is looking to shape minds with stories

WOW - any dox about that?

and about this story - i think its a hoax to discredit OWS and further actions like OP Blackout but n the other hand i think that every major-military PR-firm is thinking about occupy occupy because its looks too easy =)
edit on 19-11-2011 by Hessdalen because: mindcontrol

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   
I have to wonder how much of that $850K is going to fake ATS disinfo agents as we speak.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by intelligenthoodlum33

If you think those who like to rule care a rip about this forum...you need to revisit history.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by OLD HIPPY DUDE

I appreciate your attention to this subject...but I offer your "next step" was an old step?

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   
I'm glad this drew some attention. We'll just have to see how much, before it's effictively "buried" by our media pundits. I hate to be this blase, and I hope I'm totally wrong, BTW.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join