It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Suspicion in Iran that Stuxnet caused Revolutionary Guards base explosions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   
debka.com...

Is the Stuxnet computer malworm back on the warpath in Iran?

Exhaustive investigations into the deadly explosion last Saturday, Nov. 12 of the Sejil-2 ballistic missile at the Revolutionary Guards (IRGC) Alghadir base point increasingly to a technical fault originating in the computer system controlling the missile and not the missile itself. The head of Iran's ballistic missile program Maj. Gen. Hassan Moghaddam was among the 36 officers killed in the blast which rocked Tehran 46 kilometers away.
(Tehran reported 17 deaths although 36 funerals took place.)

Since the disaster, experts have run tests on missiles of the same type as Sejil 2 and on their launching mechanisms.

Is Stuxnet now taking lives?
edit on 19-11-2011 by nightbringr because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   
From what I understand about Stuxnet, it has to be brought into these facilities and a zip drive physically inserted into the computer system in order to download the virus, because these computers are not hooked up to the internet.

So a saboteur has to be on site to deliver the virus, which would have to be pre-programmed to do exactly what it did.

It seems to be a deliberate provocation for war.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Interesting development here. Is this virus being used for more overt actions? The blood of many Iranians are now on the hands of those who wrote this virus, if this article is true. The size of this explosion in Iran cannot be understated. Western sources have stated the explosion was the size of a small nuclear device, yet no radiation has been detected.

Of course the real danger here is the escalation of cyber warfare, which now appears capable of taking lives. If this was a conventional explosive set off by the Stuxnet, it doesnt take a big leap in logic to assume that a nuclear device could be detonated in this manner as well. And further, could this technology be reverse engineered and perhaps used on a missle base in the USA or Europe?

Im honestly not sure where i stand on this. For what its worth, i do believe Iran is building nuclear weapons, and i have a huge distrust of non-secular governments. I was hoping the Stuxnet would have sufficiently delayed their progress so a military strike would be pulled off the table, but im quickly losing faith. Will Iran now fear their nuclear warheads detonating whenever the western or Israeli powers wish?

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by nightbringr

A nuclear detonation appears to be the next step, doesn't it? The west and/or Israel could claim that it was Iran's own faulty mechanisms to blame, but I'm fairly certain that Iran is anticipating this next step.

I'll bet the war mongers are salivating over the prospect of "limited" nuclear war.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by FissionSurplus
I'll bet the war mongers are salivating over the prospect of "limited" nuclear war.

I hope they are not excited by the prospect.

Israel is understandably nervous by the prospect of a nuclear Iran and views them as an existantial risk, and i cant say i completely blame them. That being said, i dont wish for this war any more than you do. If the West is feeling a strike is necessary, perhaps this is the best way to do it. Detonate a nuclear device they have created then create plausible deniability. Its the only way i can see a nuclear strike happening in this day and age without an increased threat of global conflict and perhaps nuclear holocaust.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
what size of a device would cause a 52 sq kilometer facility to get pretty much demolished...

the WWII bombs in Japan ...15 Kilotons each (estimated) flattened each city of mostly timber constructions and not hardened concrete & steel buildings such as the modern day military facilities in Iran above ground---and below ground some acres of reinforced bunkers that will require the 30,000 lb bunker busters that penetrate some 260+ feet before blowing up.

no radiation? that single missile must have been in the megton range of destroying the base of 52 sq kilometers

nothing Adds up with the sketchy info that is acailable,,,,
anything more from the debka files?

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by St Udio
what size of a device would cause a 52 sq kilometer facility to get pretty much demolished...

the WWII bombs in Japan ...15 Kilotons each (estimated) flattened each city of mostly timber constructions and not hardened concrete & steel buildings such as the modern day military facilities in Iran above ground---and below ground some acres of reinforced bunkers that will require the 30,000 lb bunker busters that penetrate some 260+ feet before blowing up.

no radiation? that single missile must have been in the megton range of destroying the base of 52 sq kilometers

nothing Adds up with the sketchy info that is acailable,,,,
anything more from the debka files?

Not as of yet.

We have to take Debka with a grain of salt. Most of their stories are gleened through Israeli intelligence and sources. Some trustworthy, some not so much. Im interested if any other news sources are carrying this story. What Debka do get right, they do very well.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
More on this situation from the Debkafile.

debka.com...

What WAS this blast? If the first blast was the warhead, and the second the solid rocket fuel, why was it so big? There is more to this story than meets the eyes. If it wasnt nuclear, and there is no indication besides the size of the blast that it was, what happened? One conventional warhead would never do this much damage, even a daisycutter.

new topics

top topics

join