It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There Was A Secret Meeting Of Pastors In Iowa, And It Could Be Great News For Ron Paul

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Evangelical powerbrokers hosted a secret meeting in Iowa for conservative religious leaders last week to take a second look at some of the candidates who might be a viable alternative to Mitt Romney

According to a source, Newt Gingrich, Rick Perry, and Ron Paul all spoke at the event, which brought together some of Iowa's most influential evangelical pastors. Organized by the powerful Christian activist David Lane, the two-day conference was a feeble attempt to recapture some of the evangelical energy behind Mike Huckabee's Iowa caucus win in 2008.

Since 2008, Lane has been the driving force in reenergizing and mobilizing the Christian Right. But he has flipflopped his support between the Gingrich and Perry and excluded candidates like Bachmann and Herman Cain, fracturing conservative Christians as pastors split their support among the candidates.

The surprising beneficiary of these divisions is actually Ron Paul, the libertarian stalwart who can't seem to break 19% in Iowa polls.
Last week's conference gave Paul exposure to Iowa's Christian leaders, the gatekeepers to the Iowa caucuses. Unlike Perry and Gingrich, Paul has an active field organization in Iowa, and consistently polled at the top of state polls. But he has struggled to expand support beyond his cultlike base.
With evangelical support split between his lower-tier rivals, however, just a small portion of the Christian vote could be all Paul needs to break his ceiling and become a real contender in the 2012 race.

Read more: www.businessinsider.com...

David Lane has not endorsed Ron Paul, most likely for his belief in gay marriage. But it sounds like Paul does have the support of at least some of the other leaders which is great news for the campaign. The Christian vote is very important in Iowa and even if they're split on who to vote for, Paul benefits.

This makes tonights Family Forum Round-Table Debate very important because the Christian community takes the candidates values very seriously.
And if you didn't already hear, C-Span was supposed to cover this live but backed out and will instead televise the Democrats Jefferson-Jackson Day Dinner in Des Moines. The Forum will be streamed live here...

www.citizenlink.com...

Source

Also...

Live video at 11 a.m.: Ron Paul meets with Register editorial board

Live Stream

I believe this is 11 a.m. Iowa time.

Peace

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   
He needs all the support he can get. I just hope the people on the fence about Dr. Paul, and who also happen to be atheists, don't let this turn them off of him. While his personal Christian faith is no secret, he doesn't let it interfere in his decisions about secular government.

/TOA

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Old American
I just hope the people on the fence about Dr. Paul, and who also happen to be atheists, don't let this turn them off of him.
/TOA

Well, I'm one of those people and I'm not turned off by that in the least.

I vote on character like most should.

BTW...Mitt will not be attending tonight.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
A secret meeting by pastors.
That stinks to hi heaven. Surely as Christians the idea of secrets is abhorrent. It does not sound Christian, sounds very occultic to me.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by boony

Not at all...lol. They want to find which candidate to endorse. Obviously they're not happy with Romney and want to take a look at their other choices. Nothing occultish there.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by maddog99

Ron Paul doesn't support gay marriage. He supports the idea that the government has no business with its nose stuck in marriage at all. Its about freedom of choice. There is a big differnece in believeing that the government doesn't have the right to dictate and being in favor of anything.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by maddog99
reply to post by boony

Not at all...lol. They want to find which candidate to endorse. Obviously they're not happy with Romney and want to take a look at their other choices. Nothing occultish there.

The idea of "a secret meeting" just sounds off.
Christianity and those associated with it shouldnt have any secrets at all. Maybe just a bad choice of words.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by maddog99

Anything that involves a "secret meeting of Pastors," and politics needs to be investigated.

It could be that I have had HUGE problems in my life because of nut job Pastors, but come on, what are you, saying that it is ok for religion to have anything to do with politics?

If you are, that is just not right, and it's one of the reasons this country is in such big trouble right now.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by redrose123

Sorry for my poor choice of words. You are correct. Some Christians believe he is for gay marriage which was the point I was trying to make. But he never speaks out against it either.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by supine

Listen, I disagree with about 90% of what these people believe in. They're the ones who preach Jesus but in the same sentence will say, "Bomb Iran" and still sleep at night.
This was about how their disagreements will split the vote in their community, which will work in Ron Paul's favor in Iowa. And by the way, they have every right to meet behind closed doors to discuss who they wish to endorse. The Constitution gives them that right. This isn't Nazi Germany you know!

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   

reply to post by supine

Listen, I disagree with about 90% of what these people believe in. They're the ones who preach Jesus but in the same sentence will say, "Bomb Iran" and still sleep at night.
This was about how their disagreements will split the vote in their community, which will work in Ron Paul's favor in Iowa. And by the way, they have every right to meet behind closed doors to discuss who they wish to endorse. The Constitution gives them that right. This isn't Nazi Germany you know!

Yep, I disagree with 100% of anything that comes out of a Pastors mouth, and most of the ones I know would dig up their own dead mothers and sell the corpses if they thought they could get a couple of bucks for 'em.

With that said, they can be in a secret meeting if they choose to be, but they should NOT be able to sway anybody to vote for a candidate that they endorse based on their religion.
edit on 20-11-2011 by supine because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 01:35 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by supine

reply to post by supine

Yep, I disagree with 100% of anything that comes out of a Pastors mouth, and most of the ones I know would dig up their own dead mothers and sell the corpses if they thought they could get a couple of bucks for 'em.

With that said, they can be in a secret meeting if they choose to be, but they should NOT be able to sway anybody to vote for a candidate that they endorse based on their religion.
edit on 20-11-2011 by supine because: (no reason given)

Funny I think they have every right to try and persuade people to vote for who they think will be the best candidate, and explain why they have that opinion. Christians live in a political secular world and so have to navigate it as well as anybody else does.
The secret meeting seems wrong to me.

new topics

top topics

join