reply to post by Epirus
Epirus-Thank You, Thank You, Thank You. S&F a hundred times if I could for this.
You are right on the mark, with all 5 statements, and your answers to them.
A year ago, I got laid off and went from 15.00 an hour to 9.00 an hour (yes I was lucky enough to find another job right away). But that didnt take
away the bills that I had already incurred. We have never lived rich, and always lived within our means. We drive old cars, we dont have a single
credit card and never have; yes, we built a new house a few years ago, but its reasonable size, and my house payment is about what most folks pay in
rent. We dont have credit cards, or massive loans or second mortgages, and we dont eat out every night( I like to cook), and we seldom go to the
movies-maybe once a year. We dont take vacations, instead we work, find free things to do that are fun.
Instead of spending money, we pay our bills, help our parents if they need it (elderly), and our siblings, and our kids. And as each month goes by, it
gets harder and harder to make ends meet. I am now looking at taking a job an hour away from home, because it pays more, we sat down last night and
calculated the salary comparison, and the fuel costs to figure out if it would actually be helping the family, or not.
It was very close, and it will end up adding to the family income by about 300.00 a month, I probobly will end up taking the job, even though its more
hours, and a longer drive (which I dont relish in the coming winter) because of the income.
I would say that about 45% of the households in america are at this same point, struggling regardless of what they do. The other 55% are made up of
folks on unemployment, and welfare because they actually need it or are entitled to it(unemployment I mean, we do pay into it from our salaries),
whats left after that are mostly freeloaders, who are on welfare or unemployment because they are too lazy to work, Id say they are about 30% of that
55%, if I had to guess, and since I dont have the numbers.
The really bad part of the situation is that most folks out there think that those of us who are struggling are freeloading, lazy, over extended
fools, and mostly they are so far from the truth its pathetic-no one is telling them that they could be next.