It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Top 5 Misconceptions About People Struggling Economically Today

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+116 more 
posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 03:54 AM
link   
I really think some people are confused or ignoring the problem. It could just be coming from those who haven't witnessed or been affected by it who fail to recognize it. Maybe people just want to avoid/ignore it and hope it goes away, I don't know. I see a lot of judging and blaming going on in ignorance to the diversity involved with the problem. Blame it on laziness or whatever makes you feel okay and able to sleep at night but in the end the problem is real and it's not just going to go away. The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is.

Top 5 Misconceptions About People Struggling Economically Today

#5 I'm not in debt so why are you?(My parents have money and I don't have school loans)

It's important to realize that not everyone's situation is the same and if someone is paying hundreds of dollars in school loans while you had a free ride thanks to mom and dad(or plenty of other legitimate/respectful ways in which you were able to get through school without needing loans) you are making a lot more than them even if you have the same salary. No one is asking you to fix this or feel sorry for those paying the loans but by no means should you be comparing your financial situation to theirs in a judgmental way. (I make the same amount and can pay my rent why can't he/she?)

#4 I have a job so anyone can get a job(The world revolves around me and all is relevant)

Not all professions are the same and some people got lucky with the right timing. No one is mad at you if you have a job(GRATZ!) or expects you to pay for the unemployed to lay around and eat Cheetos... if you think this you are missing the point.

#3 Anyone can start a business and make it big(Look at Bill Gates)

Right...

#2 Mcdonalds is always hiring(Work at McDonalds and you'll be able to pay your debt)

So every time a company lays off hundreds if not thousands of workers who have families and prior payment agreements while equivalent jobs fail to pop up they are supposed to go to McDonalds....make $7 hour and everything will be okay? I'm sure they'll be able to pay their debt since adjusting from over 3000 a month to hundreds a month is so easy. Just buy less and go to the movies less, right? Maybe the kids can eat once a day?

#1 Make better decisions(Stop buying drugs and TVs and you'll be okay)

Cause people on unemployment enjoy the hell out of it and can't wait to use the ~$100-400 weekly unemployment check(which used to be over ~$700-1000 check while employed ) to buy a big TV or some more drugs, right? They just want to lay around and live off your hard work...how lazy!

edit on 19-11-2011 by Epirus because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 04:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Epirus
It's important to realize that not everyone's situation is the same and if someone is paying hundreds of dollars in school loans while you had a free ride thanks to mom and dad you are making a lot more than them even if you have the same salary. No one is asking you to fix this or feel sorry for those paying the loans but by no means should you be comparing your financial situation to theirs in a judgmental way. (I make the same amount and can pay my rent why can't he/she?

I think you make a few assumptions about people who do not have student loans. What about scholarships? What about the G.I. Bill? These people worked hard to have a way to pay for college and sure didn't have a handout from "mom and dad".

I believe this post is more along the lines of a rant.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 04:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by THE666OCCULT

It's important to realize that not everyone's situation is the same and if someone is paying hundreds of dollars in school loans while you had a free ride thanks to mom and dad you are making a lot more than them even if you have the same salary. No one is asking you to fix this or feel sorry for those paying the loans but by no means should you be comparing your financial situation to theirs in a judgmental way. (I make the same amount and can pay my rent why can't he/she?

I think you make a few assumptions about people who do not have student loans. What about scholarships? What about the G.I. Bill? These people worked hard to have a way to pay for college and sure didn't have a handout from "mom and dad".

I believe this post is more along the lines of a rant.

Fixed. With student loan debt reaching over 1 trillion dollars I was just trying to point out something that many of us are facing. You are correct about the mom and dad being assumed which is why I added a note in there. Thanks.

+33 more 
posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 04:24 AM
link   
How dare you come in here and speak logic or reveal multiple points of view.

This is heresy I say! Call the inquisition!

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 04:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Epirus

I feel you, man. A lot of people have it rough and a lot of people are really out of touch with how bad it really is out there. All you can do is struggle to survive.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 05:01 AM
link   
While I agree with your 5 misconceptions, I think that you've really subverted your own point with the way you've written. You come across the wrong way... and will only help further the views of those who look down on those that are struggling financially.

My position, for what it's worth?
I studied at University for five years. I had over $25,000 in student loans... all of which I have now paid back. How...? By working in a job that is totally unrelated to my degree.

With that said though... I am now in a position where I essentially live month to month financially. I have zero savings, and occasionally find it difficult to care for my family (2 girls under 10 and my wife) in even the simplest things.

...and I consider myself lucky. So many have it so very much worse than I do.
I think part of the issue here is that there still seems to be a demographic that hasn't suffered or lost enough (and I mean that in purely financial terms) to be empathetic yet... but that time is rapidly approaching.

+29 more 
posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 05:16 AM
link   
I can remember the Thatcher years...as her government systematically closed/sold the major industries here...mining, shipbuilding, steel etc. (also major employers.) We were being transformed into a service economy we were informed. However, with all that mass unemployment caused by the closure of heavy industry not many people could afford these services that were going to transform and float our economy.

With their grand plan on the cutting room floor and showing no sign of turning into a masterpiece Thatcher's government blamed the populace rather than themselves. It was the 'lazy' unemployed. People were too immobile (imagine wanting to live near your family...ho ho ho). People should 'get on their bikes' (cos no-one could afford the petrol or the bus ticket) and find themselves another job outside the area.

Then....as marriages began to fall apart under the stress.....it was the fault of the single parent. All these single parents were raising a feral generation...and it was their fault.

At one time Thatcher's government (in all seriousness) attempted to demonstrate that an individual could easily feed themselves a nutritious diet on state benefits by providing a weekly diet sheet that included halving a single egg and eating it over two meals....it was the poor's fault they were hungry because they lacked imagination and culinary skills...and so on.

TPTB use all manner of means to get their message across which is always 'it's not our fault it's yours'....education, news outlets, drama, film, magazine articles until a large enough mass of the population believe their hocum and start pointing the fingers at one another.

That brings us to 'divide and conquer'.....

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 05:31 AM
link   
While I do have a great deal of sympathy for those struggling financially, I make a small exception for those trying to get out from under student loans. This is why:

In high school, I got excellent grades, had a job working 20 hours a week, and still managed to complete nearly a years worth of college coursework (Advanced Placement) before I ever applied to a university.

My peers derided me endlessly for my decision to attend a Cal State institution, because I grew up in an affluent area and no one could understand the fact that I wasn't going to spend in the tens of thousands of dollars per year simply for tuition. (I was generally considered one of the smart kids in school and apparently my decision did not sit well with them.) The deal with my parents basically was: we can pay for you to go to a cal state and anything else is on you.

I CHOSE to go to a cheaper, less "prestigious" (whatever that means anyway...) university because I could get a free ride, and if anything were to happen to my parents or their ability to pay I could conceivably support myself and continue my education.

At the end of the day, STUDENT LOANS ARE A CHOICE. No one forced anyone to get them. "SOCIETY" has nothing to do with it. Anyone who took them sure as hell made it harder on the rest of us though, because their retarded acceptance of ever-more ridiculous amounts of debt increased the cost of education for EVERYONE.

That said, I don't think the government has a right to hound people until the end of their days about these loans. If the economy has changed in such a way that one can't ever expect to pay, there should eventually be some way out from under them (like bankruptcy and settlement).

These loans are nothing but enslavement of the intellectual.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 06:06 AM
link   

#5 I'm not in debt so why are you?(My parents have money and I don't have school loans)

It's important to realize that not everyone's situation is the same and if someone is paying hundreds of dollars in school loans while you had a free ride thanks to mom and dad(or plenty of other legitimate/respectful ways in which you were able to get through school without needing loans) you are making a lot more than them even if you have the same salary. No one is asking you to fix this or feel sorry for those paying the loans but by no means should you be comparing your financial situation to theirs in a judgmental way. (I make the same amount and can pay my rent why can't he/she?)

Well you know it was that persons choice to go to that school/Univeristy and to accept those school loans.. they didn't have to so why should they be complaining about something they wanted to do to further them self?

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   
My daughter who is a senior in high school, got her credits done ASAP, and has been taking college courses thru the high school until graduation in the spring. She will have enough college credits to only have to go to college for 6 months to get her 2 year degree. She wanted to go to a university, but chose instead to go a junior college because it will be almost free due to grants and scholarships. She will then possibly transfer to a university, hopefully with alot of scholarships to pave the way. Main thing is, she will have no debt and already have a 2 year degree.

She has a friend who, after her first two years at a university, is already $40k in debt.
edit on 19-11-2011 by tinker9917 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Epirus

Well said man. I think the megalomania (that causes people to think that their own luck in finding work should be reflected upon all others) plaguing many is why they have such a narrow view on the misfortune of others.

We live in the "me" era and everybody should be like "me"... right?

+3 more 
posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
"Intelligence? Talent? No, the ultra-rich got to where they are through luck and brutality. If wealth was the inevitable result of hard work and enterprise, every woman in Africa would be a millionaire."

"In a study published by the journal Psychology, Crime and Law, Belinda Board and Katarina Fritzon tested 39 senior managers and chief executives from leading British businesses(3). They compared the results to the same tests on patients at Broadmoor special hospital, where people who have been convicted of serious crimes are incarcerated. On certain indicators of psychopathy, the bosses’s scores either matched or exceeded those of the patients. In fact on these criteria they beat even the subset of patients who had been diagnosed with psychopathic personality disorders. "

www.monbiot.com...

Anyone who thinks all the rich "deserve" to be rich more so than everyone else needs to read this article. We live in a messed up world of extreme greed where cut-throatness, arrogance and screwing over and laughing at your fellow man who is less fortunate than you is somehow not only acceptable but admirable. Something needs to change.
edit on 19-11-2011 by darkest4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   
I agree that not all situations are equal but we as a society and as individuals have to take a good amount of responsibility for where we are financially. Sure, things are a little messed up and could use some fixing.. Unfortunately, I do see it almost everyday as I deal with a lot of people struggling people and I can see both sides of this argument.

#5 Student loans are a poor example. Like another poster I chose to go to a cheaper college. In fact it was cheaper than my high school costs! I have also found in my experience with hiring people,from my father and others who either work in human resources or own a business that where you went to school is not as much of a factor as it may have been. If it ever was; I think it had to do more with who you knew. Many students choose to dorm at universities and colleges that they can easily commute to every day adding costs to their tuition. I almost gag when I hear students raking up $40,000 grand per yer/semester bills. It's not where you receive your education but what you do with it. I know people who never went to college and have made good careers for themselves and many of them make more than some of the college graduates I know by going into a trade.

#4 It is tough out there. I see it everyday. However, there is a lot people can do better their odds. I see all types. You have those who look but really aren't. I even tell them about part time work that's come up and they decline. They spend a few hours on a computer and call it day. One guy I know kept getting any certification or license he could so he could get work. Now he drives a truck. He really didn't have the money but they managed.

I cannot tell you the state of the resumes I see. Most of them are terrible!!! Seriously anyone who is looking for work please show them to someone to everyone you can think of. Find someone reliable to help you with them. I look at them and shake my head wondering how these people expect to get hired with such a poorly written resume. Also, don't write them in text speech or do anything cutesy with them!

If you get one actually dress for your interview. People show up in baggy jeans and t-shirts with print on them. If you don't have one borrow something nice for the day.

Volunteer and make connections. Go volunteer somewhere for a few hours a week. It may open doors and talk to people. Go out and make new friends, preferably employed ones who may be able to help you find something.

3# Nope, don't know who told you that one. Running a business is hard and only a very small amount hit it big never mind making it to a medium sized business. You can however do something on the side to help yourself out. What are you good at? Can you draw reasonably? Maybe your not professional but try selling some artwork. Look for some freelance artwork. Learn how to make websites and loan out your services to your new buddies. In your spare time learn to fix computers and do it on the side for a few extra bucks from your neighbors...and so on. It also adds to your resume.

#2 No, but isn't better than nothing? I see it all to often. Well, I was making $85,000 a year and I refuse to take a job paying $25,000. Then they end up being unemployed for years at a time. Once again, it may not be ideal now though you can make connections and have at least some income.

#1 Make better decisions. Yes, I agree with that. People waste money and don't know how to manage it when they do have it. You speak about extreme situations. How did some of them get there? Do you know how many people claim they have no money yet somehow spend a $100+ just to out clubbing/bar hopping on Sat? Put it away while you can. Personally, I think money management should be a required course in high school.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Epirus

Well for the most part you have an opinion.

But the entertainment portion that is drugs, cable tv, beer, cigarettes, not only do those on unemployment do these but those who are working do.

When you purchase entertainment over the ladder rung you are making a decision no matter where the money comes from.

Poor today 2 tvs at least one car if not two, $80.00 cable bill, computer/s, one plus pack a day cigarette habit,
12 pack of beer, x box, nintendo, playstation,

poor before 1970 did not include most of the mind gumballs.

But the real misconception is that the government can help to create better wealth for those that make the above decisions, by throwing money from those who do work to live and pay their way at those who do not make such decision.

I have made my own business 3 of them now at the age of 25 I started a construction business then added Prepurchase Home inspector, then a septic installation business. I am now 47.

I moved to the Oregon coast at 24 with nothing more than a 1 ton pick up and some hand tools.

I never said no to any one who asked can you do this, if I did not know I would say yes but I can not start today and then went and found out how to do it. Now yes I was a laborer in the construction industry for 6 years at the time of my decision but that just means that others that are in the same boat can do it.

When I first started every week I bought a new/used tool, no help from the government or others financially.
I was poor when I started, yet I chose my lively hood over entertainment.

I am struggling too as everyone now because most are not paying for me to build, repair or replace anything on their homes or property.

But since I have reconfigured my life and paid off vehicles I now can still make a living on lower wages and am happier.

The lesson I have learned from this fake Federal Reserve break the people economic crises is that I will never use credit again, that is not in the sense from an establishment that is crooks and liars, you know banks.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Though I do understand your attempt to encourage a level of empathy, I believe you're a little misguided in some of your reasoning.

I think others have adequately addressed the issue of student loans. There are plenty of ways to achieve an education, while keeping loans to a minimum. But as for other debt, with the exception of maybe medical bills, it is entirely voluntary. I still own a square tube-type television. I would love to have a 60" plasma, but I can't afford it now without going into debt, so I choose not to. My pickup has 170,000 miles and I add a quart of oil every week, but I won't go into debt to buy a new, just because I want to keep up with the Jones's. It is an individual responsibility to avoid debt or at least keep it to a minimum. Don't get me wrong, I fell into the trap earlier in life, but realized it was not beneficial, so I worked my way out.

I'm not suggesting I'm any better that anyone else. I'm just giving examples of reasonable sacrifices. We are not entitled to big screen TVs, new cars, $200 pairs of shoes, an iPhone, iPad, iPod or I-anything-other-damn-thing. But, a lot of people believe they are being slighted if they don't have them.

#4 I have a job so anyone can get a job(The world revolves around me and all is relevant)

Do you mean a job, as in any job? Or do you mean a specific job that you want and for which you may or may not be qualified? I see that a lot. Too many want to start at the top and aren't willing to accept the hard knocks, hard work and commitment it takes to advance.

#3 Anyone can start a business and make it big(Look at Bill Gates)

No, but everyone has the same opportunity to try to do so. We are not guaranteed success, only opportunity. It is up to us to seize the opportunity, and put the blame for failing to do so on others.

"Failure is just a resting place. It is an opportunity to begin again more intelligently." – Henry Ford, who suffered two business failures before being successful with the Ford Motor Co.

"I have not failed. I have just found 10,000 ways that won't work." – Thomas Edison, on his 10,000 failed light bulbs
www.strategicbusinessteam.com...

#2 Mcdonalds is always hiring(Work at McDonalds and you'll be able to pay your debt)

So every time a company lays off hundreds if not thousands of workers who have families and prior payment agreements while equivalent jobs fail to pop up they are supposed to go to McDonalds....make $7 hour and everything will be okay? I'm sure they'll be able to pay their debt since adjusting from over 3000 a month to hundreds a month is so easy. Just buy less and go to the movies less, right? Maybe the kids can eat once a day?

Like I said before, it might not be the job you want, but if that's all that's available at the time, you do what you have to do. As for getting overextended, just because you have a good paying job now. In most cases, the writing is on the wall long before there are mass layoffs. That is the time to start scaling back, not wait until it is too late. Besides, the prudent thing is to, while making that good money, pay cash and avoid the debt in the first place. Oh and save, save, save for rainy days.

If it takes a job at McDonald's to put food on your family's table, it is time to suck it up and take responsibility. And you know what, when you put on your resume, for a future and better job, it just might look pretty impressive that you did take responsibility, rather than just sitting on your ass waiting for someone else to take care of you. (And I'm using the word "you" as a generalization. I'm not deriding you personally)

#1 Make better decisions(Stop buying drugs and TVs and you'll be okay)

Cause people on unemployment enjoy the hell out of it and can't wait to use the ~$100-400 weekly unemployment check(which used to be over ~$700-1000 check while employed ) to buy a big TV or some more drugs, right? They just want to lay around and live off your hard work...how lazy!

Unfortunately, many do enjoy the hell out of it. Some just want to sit around and wallow in their own sorrows. Some are taking that unemployment check because they genuinely have to, but rather than waiting around for the last check to arrive, are actively seeking another job.

I'm not arguing that times are not tough. But, you know what? They've been tough before and they are likely to get tough again. What it comes down to is personal responsibility.

+1 more 
posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
hate to bust anyone's bubble....but....i've been unemployed since march..and haven't been able to get unemployment...i was transporting expedited freight around the country...paid for my own fuel, tolls, etc....i didn't get paid by the mile, or the hour...i got paid a percentage of what the load pay was...and being an independent contractor..guess what? you can't get unemployment...so to those that preach unemployed people are fat and lazy...may your cheetohs cause you uncontrollable diarrhea!

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by moonweed

But, did you enter into that job knowing its disadvantages? And knowing them, did you decide the advantages outweighed them?

In nearly every "job", we accept some risks, because of other benefits. The fact is, the individual is responsible.

I do hope you are able to find a job soon.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
I agree with what you've said and believe my situation fits several of your catagories. I was happily employed and also had a part time job on the side to make extra money to cover my student loan payments. After seven years of living well within an income between 55-60K I was layed off due to budget cutbacks left my second job because I could not get healthcare for my daughter and denied unemployment. My family now struggles to get by while I look for employment, and as you said you can't go from having a career to working at McDonalds. I apply to at least 2-3 reasonable jobs a day and even some part time positions because we need the money. It really seems that there are many jobs (posted) but I get few to no replies, calls, emails etc. Sometimes I wonder why I worked so hard to get my Masters when now all I have to show for it are student loan bills. This is a real problem and I believe one that cannot be fully understood until you have hit rock bottom and joined the ranks of the unemployed. Thank you for saying what needed to be said.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by WTFover
reply to post by moonweed

But, did you enter into that job knowing its disadvantages? And knowing them, did you decide the advantages outweighed them?

In nearly every "job", we accept some risks, because of other benefits. The fact is, the individual is responsible.

I do hope you are able to find a job soon.

yeah...i knew what i was getting into...also knew that was the only job i could get...when you start to sit 4 days waiting for a load, and going broke between paydays, it's time to get out

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join